Good things come to those who wait.

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
From looking at Amazon and Best Buy, it appears that UHD/4k players are dropping in price quickly. It looks like $150 is a reasonable starting point.

I'm looking at that Sony 800 because their cheap Blu-Ray players have done me well over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X80...pID=21qb9jCok-L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Now, I'll have to bite the bullet for the more expensive movies but, somehow, unless it's a visual extravaganza, I may still buy the plain jane Blu-ray instead of the 4k version.

I saw that price drop too - in the Best Buy flyer. $150 off list - that's amazing since the 800 hasn't been out that long. I don't think you can go wrong at that price.

Well, sometimes things are too good to be true. When I picked up that Sony, the box said it comes with your choice of four free UHD movies. I thought I stepped in it but, as luck would have it, the promotion ended about a month ago. But, still, it's not a bad price for the unit considering I was gonna buy it anyway.

Some days you're the bug. Some days you're the windshield.

From looking at Amazon and Best Buy, it appears that UHD/4k players are dropping in price quickly. It looks like $150 is a reasonable starting point.

I'm looking at that Sony 800 because their cheap Blu-Ray players have done me well over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X80...pID=21qb9jCok-L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Now, I'll have to bite the bullet for the more expensive movies but, somehow, unless it's a visual extravaganza, I may still buy the plain jane Blu-ray instead of the 4k version.
When I started on the 4k journey I decided I wasn't going to invest in tge same movies I already had on Blu-ray unless they were my top movies for visual and sonic features, but what I did start doing I's start buying 4k movies that interest me and as a bonus you get a copy of the Blu-ray also. So I started looking for movies that I had wanted on Blu-ray and found out they had it in 4k. Also 4k movies have come down drastically in price, alot of them are in the $17 range, I've picked up quite a few on Amazon at around this price.

Audiofreak71

I hear ya. I've decided that the only 4k movies I'll invest in will be those with stunning visuals. As for the normal run of the mill movies, I'll stick with blu-rays. I doubt that I'll upgrade any existing blu-rays to 4k but, then again, I'm cheap.

Well, sometimes things are too good to be true. When I picked up that Sony, the box said it comes with your choice of four free UHD movies. I thought I stepped in it but, as luck would have it, the promotion ended about a month ago. But, still, it's not a bad price for the unit considering I was gonna buy it anyway.

Some days you're the bug. Some days you're the windshield.

So, how does the 800 look? Have you put it through the paces yet? Which 4K movie did you buy "just to test it out"?

Older run of the mill movies aren't necessarily worse, just depends on how well they were preserved. Ghostbusters 2 and Goodfellas are a stunning difference.

Older run of the mill movies aren't necessarily worse, just depends on how well they were preserved. Ghostbusters 2 and Goodfellas are a stunning difference.

Also check out the first Baderunner on Blu-ray It's one of the best remastered films ever done as they painstakingly remastered each frame of the film and the end result is absolutely stunning.

Audiofreak71

So, how does the 800 look? Have you put it through the paces yet? Which 4K movie did you buy "just to test it out"?
Haven't set it up yet. We've been "on the road" for the last six weeks. We live in Texas but picked it up in New Jersey. We've been visiting various friends and relatives for the past six weeks*. When I saw that drastic price drop I figured I'd jump on it We expect to be back next Friday and should have it hooked up within a few days, after we get unpacked.

I picked up Valerian, which just came out, Oblivion (Tom Cuise tritefest but, hey, it's pretty and was only $10), and have Despicable Me 3 on order.

*It's nice to be retired and have kids and grand kids nearby to watch the house and water the plants when we're gone..

I picked up Valerian, which just came out, Oblivion (Tom Cuise tritefest but, hey, it's pretty and was only $10), and have Despicable Me 3 on order.
Hah! We have Despicable 3 on pre-order too. My wife and I get a kick out of those movies. There's just enough smart, subtle humor to make them worth watching. If you haven't seen it, try The Minions movie. It's a blast - a lot of little details to watch out for and the 60s soundtrack is pretty good too.

Definitely agree about the Despicable and Minions movies. They're a lot of fun to watch.

Wow. For once I think I dodged a bullet. We live in Texas but was visiting friends and relatives in New Jersey when I saw the price drop. Instinctively, I ran to a local Best Buy and jumped on it. I was having second thoughts about buying this in New Jersey but having just returned to Texas three weeks later, I see the price jumped from $150 to $200.

I feel vindicated.

This makes up for A4L dropping the price of my Marantz 5011 from $549 to $499 just two months after I bought it.

Last edited:
Made time to hook it up and give it a minimal test run. I'm using "Valerian" and it is stunning but I really haven't compared it with the Blu-Ray version (included) to do a real comparison between the two but, somehow, I don't think it's gonna be an orgasmic difference. Setup is quick and easy but I did notice a bit of a lip synch issue with both UHD and standard Blu-ray that, thankfully, I was able to correct via the receiver. I couldn't find a remedy on the player.

More later when I get more time to play with it more seriously. I've got unpacking, weeks of mail to sort through, and a Christmas tree to set up so the kids can decorate it.

A lot of it falls back to screen size and viewing distance too, irrespective of whether one is simply a higher quality TV vs. the other.

resolution_chart.jpg

FWIW, I'm about 10' from a non-HDR Vizio D55u-D1 going through a Marantz 5011. I didn't expect a night and day my-wife-can-hear-the-improvement-from-the-driveway change to begin with.

My old Sony BDP S-3700 Blu-Ray didn't have the lip synch issue. That's a new one.

Just yesterday fired up my "old" 2006 model Panasonic 50" 720p plasma for the first time in a couple years. Still works like a champ. Set it up in the basement at my GF/SO's place for when we have a difference of opinion on what to watch. LOL.

I'll eventually move over more of my older HT gear too.

Back
Top Bottom