Alice's Restaurant 50 Years Ago Today

I remember hearing for the first time, on WBAI in New York, Arlo Guthrie performing this song live. It was either just before or just after it was released.

First heard the long version on evening/nighttime WNEW. Can't remember if the DJ was Scott Muni or Allison Steele.

I too heard it on WNEW, 1968 I think. My older brother knew about it and was home from college for the thanksgiving holiday.

Remember taking the wife to see the film when it was new. Well after the album was out.

Dated now but for those of use who where there at the time, priceless. Hard to explain to to those who were not there to experience.

Barney

WDVE used to play this every year at noon on Thanksgiving so we'd hear it while driving to Grandma's house...

I played it yesterday as I do every Thanksgiving Day. "I can understand you taking my wallet so I can't spend any money in jail, but do you really think I am going to hang myself for being a litterbug?"

I don't think I've ever heard the song in its entirety but I have eaten breakfast at Alice's after a chilly morning of riding. It was tasty.

Remember that song. WNEW grew up on that station 70-78. Remember both of those DJ's. Alice's Restaurant is one of a kind. Local station WTPA I could get, played it for years around thanksgiving. Always enjoyed it.

WBCN every year, at least back in the day. Now we listen (ipod) every year on our travels to family.
WZLX 100.7, one of the spiritual successors to the original WBCN, plays it three times a day (9AM, noon and 4PM). I didn't have a chance to listen to them playing it, but did play my copy of the original LP. The songs on the other side of the album are pretty good as well.

Back
Top Bottom