Trigger has been pulled and a New Outlaw RR2160 is here.

Got one a few days ago. Really is a very sturdy build. Could have used a bit more substantial volume knob for me - but that's a pretty small complaint. Silver would not be my first choice but sitting next to my old Technics turntable it looks right at home.

Trying to get a better handle on it's Internet Radio. Anyone know what service it taps into?

I would ask Outlaw. Call them they might have the answer at hand or they'll get back to you pretty quick

@sanford12 You have had the RR2160 for a while now. Has it changed much? I've had my finger on the trigger for a bit. I don't really need it but, I like it. :)

Last edited:
@sanford12 You have had the RR2160 for a while now. Has it changed much? I've had my finger on the trigger for a bit. I don't really need it but, I like it. :)

Yes it's smoothed out. I left it on for 4.5-5 days when I first got it One of the few amps/receivers I've had that pays to warm it up first. It sounds really good but once it's warmed up it's even better. This is one you can sit and listen to for a long time with no fatigue and it's also really good for low level listening. It's got enough power that with most speakers it will be loafing. I've called customer service twice with different questions and had an answer right away both times. It's been a good experience all the way around. I didn't "need" it either but it ticked all the boxes for me. Feature laden versatility and great sound for an amazing price. You can't go wrong

I read the review in Stereophile. Just wanting a first hand opinion. :)
I using separates and tubes now. I'm getting lazy and would like to simplify my system. This would sure make it easy.
My Luxman L450 is very tube like and I really like it. The 2160 is a different animal and a great sounding one. It's a lazy man's dream. I stream music thru a tablet and the internet radio is also a great option for lazy listening.

How well does the tone defeat work? I see you have it activated in the pic.
To tell the truth I played with it a bit at first thought it sounded better with the defeat on and have just left it that way

Last edited:
Thanks for the update and comments! I'm getting lazy too. Turned 60 last month. :) I really like your comment about low level listening. This is what I do most of the time. I have very efficient speakers so it would be loafing all the time.

I like all the features to. I've looked at other products but, haven't found one yet like the RR2160.

Was for me. The others had some bumps but I wouldn't trade what I've had for anything.

I have a 1 month old RR2160 and I am damned frustrated with it... I regret my purchase! I bought it primarily for Internet radio, and it really is a crapshoot every day as far as how many times I have to cycle the thing off and on before it finally "sees" the ethernet connection (Cat 7 cable).
Then, YES, finally! I'm receiving Internet radio. Thousands of channels, and Outlaw did not provide any way to directly enter a channel number! This means SLOWLY SCROLLING for a LONG-ass time to get back to that station. No printed owners manual comes with this $800 machine! For the price, you would think it would have a built-in Bluetooth receiver: it does not. Hell... even a cheap $12 speaker has Bluetooth built in! W-T-H!

I've spoken with the factory Rep, he says there's nothing wrong with it. I've owned the damned thing for longer than 30 days, so I would have to pay to ship it back, have them look at it, and pay again to return it... 28Lbs coast-to-coast :(

This was WAY too much to pay for the frustration and anger I've had trying to get this sorted out...

I'm using tp-link wifi extender mdl RE200. It has an ethernet port on it and it works flawlessly. The extender I had before work flawlessly till it crapped out. Scrolling through is a PITA I'll give you that. I would suspect your connection to the amp, not the amp for your connection problems. I've never had to cycle it to get it to connect. It takes a few seconds to load and start then it's rock solid and the sound with a good station is excellent. If you checked it out before buying you knew it didn't have bluetooth if you didn't that's on you.To me it was just something to say to pile on to make it sound worse. When you were responding to the Stereophile Reviews the Outlaw RR2160 thread I wondered why anyone who complained so much about it before purchasing would buy it. And 800 bucks for all it does is an amazing bargain. Sell it on to someone who'll enjoy it. As far as not having a full blown manual. It took 10 minutes to set-up and there's nothing hard, controls are well labeled. It's pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:
I'm using tp-link wifi extender mdl RE200. It has an ethernet port on it and it works flawlessly. The extender I had before work flawlessly till it crapped out. Scrolling through is a PITA I'll give you that. I would suspect your connection to the amp, not the amp for your connection problems. I've never had to cycle it to get it to connect. It takes a few seconds to load and start then it's rock solid and the sound with a good station is excellent. If you checked it out before buying you knew it didn't have bluetooth if you didn't that's on you.To me it was just something to say to pile on to make it sound worse. When you were responding to the Stereophile Reviews the Outlaw RR2160 thread I wondered why anyone who complained so much about it before purchasing would buy it. And 800 bucks for all it does is an amazing bargain. Sell it on to someone who'll enjoy it. As far as not having a full blown manual. It took 10 minutes to set-up and there's nothing hard, controls are well labeled. It's pretty self explanatory.
Do your scrolling arrows work backwards like mine do? "Up" is "down" for the station numbers? Have you found any faster way to get from station 100 to station 800 other than manually going one-by-one? Any way to just manually enter a station number and just go there? Unfortunately it's not a "smart scroller", where the speed of the search increases with the amount of time your finger is on the button... it just slowly plods along one-by-one.

I know you guys love fawning over the RR2160 but for what I bought it for; Internet Radio, it's a ridiculous PITA.

Last edited:
No way to tune direct that I know of and yes they're "Backwards" I make sure to write down the stations I like and tend to stay on that station the whole session. It does remember the last stations I was listening to. I also use a RocketFish bluetooth adapter to stream music and internet radio. We should push Outlaw for a firmware update which they should do anyway since their products tend to have a long production run.

No way to tune direct that I know of and yes they're "Backwards" I make sure to write down the stations I like and tend to stay on that station the whole session. It does remember the last stations I was listening to. I also use a RocketFish bluetooth adapter to stream music and internet radio. We should push Outlaw for a firmware update which they should do anyway since their products tend to have a long production run.
THANK you for your answer; This explains half of my frustration with what's been going on with my unit. I disagree (putting it mildly!) with Outlaw's total lack of development in this area and will continue to try and find Ethernet that makes the RR2160 happy... even though my laptop NEVER has any issue with the very same physical connection.

@sanford12
Are you still enjoying your Outlaw? I am considering one for use with my Dahlquist DQM-5's and/or some m907's I may pick up, in the room pictured in my avatar pic. I want a 2 channel main system with those speakers, and also a second set for use as rears when watching TV/cable/video.

I picked up a Music Hall Mambo that set a new standard higher than my old Denon's and was hoping the Outlaw might drive/control the speakers as well. The Mambo is class A but is only 50wpc.

Anyway, curious how you are liking yours and what your thoughts might be in what I am thinking about. Other possibilities could be a used NAD 388 or 372 or used Rogue Sphinx or similar.

Last edited:
I still enjoy the heck out of it. Using a Marantz CD-6006 shows how good it is with the amount of detail. You give it a good source and it will shine. The only draw back is with the phono and confined to MC. It doesn't pump up the signal enough. MM carts are fine. I had a set of Dahlquist DQ-12's that I ran with a NAD 7140 receiver but the Outlaw is much better than the old NAD and a lot more versatile. The internet radio is something I really like. Some of the HD stations sound great. Never heard a Mambo so I can't speak for that. I switched from a Luxman L450 that I rebuilt that sounded very good but I like the Outlaw better. I'm running a set of 8 ohm not very efficient B&W 704's and a set of 5 ohm Martin Logans together and the Outlaw purrs right along. I did call Outlaw before doing so and they said it's fine as long as you don't play it at stupid high levels. They're techs are very good. You've 30 days to try it if you don't like it send it back and you'll get your money back minus postage.

I still enjoy the heck out of it. Using a Marantz CD-6006 shows how good it is with the amount of detail. You give it a good source and it will shine. The only draw back is with the phono and confined to MC. It doesn't pump up the signal enough. MM carts are fine. I had a set of Dahlquist DQ-12's that I ran with a NAD 7140 receiver but the Outlaw is much better than the old NAD and a lot more versatile. The internet radio is something I really like. Some of the HD stations sound great. Never heard a Mambo so I can't speak for that. I switched from a Luxman L450 that I rebuilt that sounded very good but I like the Outlaw better. I'm running a set of 8 ohm not very efficient B&W 704's and a set of 5 ohm Martin Logans together and the Outlaw purrs right along. I did call Outlaw before doing so and they said it's fine as long as you don't play it at stupid high levels. They're techs are very good. You've 30 days to try it if you don't like it send it back and you'll get your money back minus postage.
Kinda thinking that, or a used Music Hall Maven or similar could be the ticket. Thank you for your feedback!

I'm considering replacing my separates - Denon poa-2800 amp and Yamaha cx-800 preamp with just the MK-II version.

Wondering how much of a degrade in sound quality I'd suffer.

Reviving this thread to say I got a 2160 used, and it's the best investment in audio gear I've ever made. I've had it for about six weeks now, and there is not a single thing I can find serious fault with, and so much to love. I think it's the end game for me as far as my daily driver goes.

s.

Context - My two main systems are built around NAD integrateds, though I mess around with Class D and tubes. My point of comparison here is to the NADs, both of which are AB machines, and both of which have given me years of quality service. The Outlaw simply sounds better, both more detailed and slightly warmer. Its options - turntable, tuner, USB, coax, optical - put most two channel receivers to shame.

One thing: I do not use the built-in internet radio, which from what I read in this thread some people find frustrating. I already have a Squeezebox system, so I have a rPi 3 hooked up to the Outlaw, and use it to provide internet radio as well as playback of digital files stored in-house. At some point I'll hook up a full-fledged computer so that I have access to S/XM and my streaming service of choice, Presto Music.

Last edited:
I've recently sold My Outlaw on and now use a Parasound 2250 v.2. I bought a pair of 4 ohm Canton Karat 300s and the Outlaw wasn't enough to get them singing. Sounded good but just not enough grunt. The Outlaw's 165 watts per at 4 ohms wasn't enough. The 400 that the Parasound puts out really woke the Cantons up. The Outlaw was the best bang for the buck piece of new kit that i've bought

Back
Top Bottom