First integrated amp purchase - opinions please!

alorne

Hey everyone,
I acquired a pair of speakers that I need an amp for. I don't have a turntable and I listen to music through Spotify or podcasts directly from my phone. I'll be hooking it up to a TV at some point as well so it needs to have digital inputs.

I'm looking at either:

Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yIOIJGJNuyx/p_779SR20/Cambridge-Audio-Topaz-SR20.html)

OR

NAD C 338 (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BGIQ2nqvmvq/p_745C338/NAD-C-338.html)

Anyone have experience with either of these amps? Any other brands/models to consider? Not sure if going with one because it has a ton of features is better than a more basic model that I can upgrade myself with bluetooth adapters, etc.

Very new to audio/hi-fi so any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Yamaha makes a beautiful line of new integrateds, some of which are truly high-end (hate that term).

You might want to take a look at your speakers and see what the recommended power requirements are and check the impedance. I looked at the two links you provided and depending on what your speakers might require, either one should be fine for the sources you plan to use. So, unless your speakers are power hungry, low impedance towers, the lack of any real dynamic power should not be a big factor. If you want the features of the NAD now, I would go with it vs trying to add-on later.
Good luck with your search.

A Marantz PM7005 is another solid option with a cracking DAC. All digital inputs (asyncron USB, optical, coax), can play anything up to 24-192 and DSD. It looks great and...made in Japan.
I have a friend using one and it's really sweet and powerful. Good price.
Recommend a second hand or ex-demo for an even better deal.
It also has a phono input, just in case you will get a turntable at some point.

@Midwest Ear Thanks for your reply! I'm torn between that and the 501 as mentioned by @SuperLead100 above. The audio store nearby has both of them so I guess it's a matter of trying out both.

You just need to determine what level of power you need for your speakers and room and how you do your listening. Power was not an issue for me and the 301 had all the features I really needed. I have put in several hours on the new amp and I am very please with it and love it's simplicity. All of my listening is either through TIDAL or Pandora, TIDAL is my serious album and music listening, I tend to leave Pandora on the rest of the time. I think you will be fine with any of the Yamaha integrateds.

Another vote for the Yammies. I had a 501 and loved it. You have an optical input, so you can hook a Google Chromecast into the back of it and you're good to go.

Yamaha, had a A- 1060 for 34 years it finally had to go just to many issues and just didn't want to spend the 400.00 for a complete retro. I resurched the new ones and bought the A S 2100 from the HIFI store in town,love it, don't tell the wife.

An A-1060 with new capacitors, cleaned pots and switches, and any circuit de/resoldering is worth $400. A great, great integrated amp.

An A-1060 with new capacitors, cleaned pots and switches, and any circuit de/resoldering is worth $400. A great, great integrated amp.
IF you read my post I had the A 1060 for 34 years I sold it to the repair shop that has repaired it a couple times and issues keep coming back, he gave me 200.00 for it and about 3 months later he had it for sale for 650.00, maybe the shop did a complete retro on it to sell it for the 650.00. After 34 years it served me well and I didn't want to put anymore money in it. So I thought it was in my best interest to purchase new again even though it cost me a lot more, but I'm happy with my Yamaha A S 2100. I hope I've help you with a choice here .

Last edited:
It's a receiver but a dam fine one. Outlaw RR2160. I've had it for 4 months now and it's excellent, very good phono section and a lot of features for the money

Back
Top Bottom