Japanese Tube Holy Grail? Opinions, Please!

I have three Sansui's that are certainly in the top echelon AU-111, BA-202 and a B-209. They are wonderfully warm and yet stout performers. Also own a Luxman/Luxkit A-2500 that is no slouch, it also uses the 6RA8 output tubes like the BA-202. I have a neighbor with a McIntosh MC275 and a Citation II and the Sansui's stand up to them just fine.

IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0093.JPG s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg mambo1968mo-img599x389-1478739582a98hpb20616.jpg

The Sansui AU-70 is mentioned a few times in this thread, but it really has to be seen to be believed. Actually, it looks nothing like their other integrated amps, even the AU-111 from a year later. To me, it looks more like a piece of early solid-state gear, and that's what I thought it was the first time I saw it, but one look around the back proved me wrong. The output transformers are the largest I've ever seen in an EL84-class amp, dwarfing even the Dynaco ST-35. Anyway, here are some pics of my AU-70:

au70_front.jpg

au70_back.jpg

au70_top.jpg

au70_bottom.jpg

(yes, I'm planning to replace all of those gray caps)

The Sansui AU-70 is mentioned a few times in this thread, but it really has to be seen to be believed. Actually, it looks nothing like their other integrated amps, even the AU-111 from a year later. To me, it looks more like a piece of early solid-state gear, and that's what I thought it was the first time I saw it, but one look around the back proved me wrong. The output transformers are the largest I've ever seen in an EL84-class amp, dwarfing even the Dynaco ST-35. Anyway, here are some pics of my AU-70:

au70_front.jpg

au70_back.jpg

au70_top.jpg

au70_bottom.jpg

(yes, I'm planning to replace all of those gray caps)
My brother has this amp also, very nice sounding unit. His only complaint is the solid state phono section.

Big issue with many high end older Japanese made tube amplifiers, they were mostly not sold in high numbers and often not exported outside Asia. Those that were, were imported in very small numbers, and tend to be very difficult to find. That said, of the vintage brands I'd rate Sansui's BA 303 and CA 303 and Luxman tube gear likely as the pinnacle of such gear. the late Ken Shindo's tube amplifiers are superb for modern tube amplifiers. But with an open mind, and willingness to hunt for seldom seen gear in this part of the world, some unsung gems could be found.

Hi,

I own several Sansui and Luxman tube amps. from Sansui I have the Q-16, HF-V60/PR-330, AU-111, AU-70. From Luxman I have several MQ60, an MQ70, MQ80 and an SQ38FD. Long story short is they are mostly great and don't listen to the stories that they were not yet up to the standard of McIntosh etc. The transformers used in the japanese amps of that era were second to none. IMO. As others have mentioned some of the Luxman amps use hard to find tubes like the 50CA10 (MQ60, SQ38FD) and other difficult to find tubes in the popular MB3045. The MQ70 uses EL34 which is nice. I have yet to rebuild my HF-V60 and AU-111 but I can tell you that the AU-70 is mind blowing when rebuilt!

Yes, the Luxman M3045 uses a proprietary tube or two, the output tubes the 8045G and the driver tube the 6240G but both of these can be replaced with current production tubes.

The 8045G can be replaced with the 6550/KT88 with mods to the amp. Luxman made this information available and it is common to have these amps modded for either Ultralinear or Triode operation not that those are the exact mode of operation, just names given to the two sets of changes Luxman presents.

The 6240G can be replaced with the 6CG7 but John Corneille recommends a change in the cathode bias resistor to increase Vg for this tube. Others have used it without modifications.

As far as the iron in these amps, I would put my faith in the fact that Luxman got it very right. They started as a transformer manufacturer 50 years before these were made and that half century should have given them enough information to make them correctly. These amps sound great but I wouldn't mind finding a pile of NOS Luxman tubes to be able to return them to stock and hear what the differences are with the new tubes.

Oh, they look the part, not like McIntosh, built to be bolted to the rafters/joists out of sight.

Good day!!!

looking for schemes on
MACTONE XC-30 and MACTONE XP-1

who can help please, at least, though schemes, even a reference to them

Marantz Project T-1, a K.I. design, and likely the only amps I'd barely consider trading my Stax amps for.
View attachment 854184

Sorry, If it is Marantz and tubes it must be a Model 8B or 9 pair of monoblocks and a 7 preamplifier, and real Saul/Sidney Smith. Note there's no mention of the tuner which forced Saul to sell the company, it's useless for my FM needs, which means a McIntosh MR 71 or a MR 74 does RF for me. Or a HH Scott tube model or 312D, or a better Fisher tube or early SS tuner.

Back
Top Bottom