People who give themselves up...

Interesting that I tripped across this thread, Chris, as my dad seems to be in similar circumstances of late. Does anybody remember the scene in "Little Big Man" where Chief Dan George declares, "Today is a good day to die," and proceeds to go lie down in a field to await passage to the hereafter? He lies there patiently for a considerable time, waiting for death to take him, and ... nothing happens.

Kind of where my dad's at these days. At 88, there's nothing particularly wrong with him, but he's lost interest in all the things he used to like ... music, books, audio, old cars, DIY, whatever. He's given away all his tools, sold off all his projects and spends most of his days in a darkened room watching old movies. Recently I discovered that he's quit drinking coffee (which he'd always enjoyed and without which he claimed there was no point in getting up in the morning) because it's no longer worth the effort or expense.

Like Chief Dan, he's made up his mind but his body won't take the hint.

Lost my 46 year old nephew last Thursday. He lived two states away, so we weren't that close. Recently divorced father of two young adult daughters, don't know all of the particulars, but was currently unemployed and supposedly turned to the bottle for solace. After a few minor alcohol related run-ins with the police and a few unsuccessful "prescribed" attempts at rehab, he moved to a different town and apparently decided to check himself in to another rehab and do it right.

They found him unresponsive in a motel room with the application to a nearby rehab center and what was left of the booze in the room. It appears he went on one last binge that proved to be one too many.

We're going to see my brother and his wife in an hour or so. Not looking forward to it, but that's what family is for.

To my nephew - I don't know what kind of pain and suffering you were going through, nor will I ever. I just hope you find solace wherever you are now. You will be missed.

Death is very personal right? I’ve had those types of experiences in my life, as recently as a couple weeks ago. I’m stage 4 cancer so those same thoughts run through my mind. What will my death look like? How do I want it to unfold, and will I have any say about it? Very uncomfortable and maybe not so unusual to have to face such things, either with a loved one, or yourself. God bless all those suffering,

I always say this, but be glad it happened, don't cry because it is over. Easy to say, but very hard to do.

Chris, you'll be in my thoughts, buddy.

Death is very personal right? I’ve had those types of experiences in my life, as recently as a couple weeks ago. I’m stage 4 cancer so those same thoughts run through my mind. What will my death look like? How do I want it to unfold, and will I have any say about it? Very uncomfortable and maybe not so unusual to have to face such things, either with a loved one, or yourself. God bless all those suffering,

Sir, all I can tell you is that I appreciate your contribution and that I am so glad that we got AudioKarma for sharing things like these with others in similar situations.

Chris

It is exhausting. God bless and save all you people who have to care for elderly parents or disabled relatives.

Back
Top Bottom