Another dissapointment from another U.S. manufacturer: Schiit

Status
Not open for further replies.
And most do, in my experience, but sometimes one draws a short straw.

And sometimes people take the time to contact the company that made that short straw and gets some help with the repair........to the dismay and anger of those that dont take the time to do the same thing.

Which is nothing actually. Let me pose a simple question; Which company would you rather do business with. One that does nothing for you after the warranty......or one that wants to work with you to find a way to make you happy, even if it something small like paying to ship the item back to you free after you paid for service?

Nothing like a poisoned well. LOL.

Of course everyone wants "free" but ain't nothing free even if it appears that way.

Warranty costs and policy/customer satisfaction costs are built into product costs.

And sometimes people take the time to contact the company that made that short straw and gets some help with the repair........to the dismay and anger of those that dont take the time to do the same thing.

No anger here.

I always ask but if I don't get my way on something so clearly past I'd sure not come whine on a forum in a social media play.

Not long ago a company helped me out on some cables I bought 2nd hand. They could have said sorry, but they didn't. For that they got a shout-out here on AK. Had they not helped I wouldn't have come here to complain because I wasn't entitled to anything at that point

Last edited:
It's probably a bad solder joint somewhere. In tree hugger central aka California, Schiit can't use leaded solder which sticks like glue. As far as indicting the rest of US manufacturers, that's a load of bull.

I'm sure China, where it was in all likelihood made, has no such restrictions.

I recently had to return my Emotiva UMC-200 for servicing. They sent me a box and while I paid for shipping to them they returned it for free.

Schiit claims its products are American made. I'm inclined to believe them.

How was the OP dishonest?

The post I quoted states that Benchmark stands behind their products. The evidence given is that they offer a 5-year warranty. It blatantly ignores that Schiit also offers a 5-year warranty on the majority of their products. At a minimum, the post is misleading. I'd say that is exceeds misleading, and enters directly into dishonest.

And most do, in my experience, but sometimes one draws a short straw.
And as expected , OP got the short straw and felt let down . I'd feel the same way . Telling me "Oh well , sometimes schiit happens" would not make me feel one bit better .

It just comes down to one persons experience . Nothing more , nothing less . I'll accept the rant , remember what and who and move on from there .

I had a slow trickle on my kitchen faucet where the spout swivels, sent Moen an email to ask about parts and they sent an o-ring kit free. Then the spout itself sprung pin hole leaks, they've sent a new spout before I can tell them I've decided I'm just going to replace it lol. I have no receipts because my house was built in 04 with all Moen.

I have no dog in the fight.
If you're polarized here, I urge you to take a deep breath.
If Schiit products even entry level ones failed at or just past warranty period, I think we who have read a lot (at least I feel I have) of threads, would kind of been aware of this.
Doing Google searches doesn't reflect this either.
What does that mean?
The unit failed before what would be expected (even a year after warranty)
I suspect most of us would be at the least disappointed .
It doesn't make their whole product line crap and it doesn't make them cheap or not standing behind their product.
I think a lot of broad sweeping analogies have been put forth.
They all have merit but aren't necessarily accurate to this particular instance.
You may and will draw your own conclusions as I did.
Maybe , just maybe , it was a bad one.:idea:

If this is indeed a rare case of early failure, one would expect the manufacturer to be interested in the cause of the problem and also to ensure that the customer didn't walk away with the impression that the company produces products that will only last long enough to outlive the warranty.

Bottom of the line or not, given their production cost is likely to be less than $20 or so, it's a poor customer relations decision not to come to some sort of arrangement that recognizes the device didn't last as long as it should. Calling it luck of the draw that this one failed ignores the company's responsibility to supply a reliable product. My DAC cost me less than $50, is well over 5 years old and has never had a hiccup. Price is not an accurate or reliable indicator of expected life span or for that matter, of quality. Something inexpensive can and should still be manufactured with attention to quality. If quality is sacrificed for price, the manufacturer has a duty to be up front about that.

If this is indeed a rare case of early failure, one would expect the manufacturer to be interested in the cause of the problem and also to ensure that the customer didn't walk away with the impression that the company produces products that will only last long enough to outlive the warranty.

Bottom of the line or not, given their production cost is likely to be less than $20 or so, it's a poor customer relations decision not to come to some sort of arrangement that recognizes the device didn't last as long as it should. Calling it luck of the draw that this one failed ignores the company's responsibility to supply a reliable product. My DAC cost me less than $50, is well over 5 years old and has never had a hiccup. Price is not an accurate or reliable indicator of expected life span or for that matter, of quality. Something inexpensive can and should still be manufactured with attention to quality. If quality is sacrificed for price, the manufacturer has a duty to be up front about that.

As i said , you will draw your own conclusions.
I respect but disagree with you:dunno:

There appears to be an assumption that the OP's DAC failed. Was that confirmed? Or is there still the possibility that it's a computer (likely software) issue?
I am showing my computer dumbness here , but wouldn't a software problem be an easy fix ?

Maybe all those multitudes of Schiit owners who feel slighted should band together and get a class action going.
And I hear...crickets. I did a search of "Modi" which brought up 486 hits. Out of the 486 hits, only two had issues with their Modi. That tells me that the Modi is a pretty good product.
I feel bad for the OP, but his issue isn't with the Modi itself. Because it doesn't work with his PC is not a reason to knock everything Schiit does. I don't believe he even attempted to use it on another PC. Maybe if he swapped his out with another PC he wouldn't have an issue. After all, he had no problems using it on a Mac.

Sorry to hear that your Schitt crapped out! ... LOL .... ha.ha, ha .... sorry, couldn't resist that one. BTW- I love my Gungnir MB DAC and had a Bifrost MB before that - second owner of the Bifrost MB is real happy with it ... I sure hope my Gumby lasts more than 3 years!
I had been using the original Modi for over 4 years when I bought the Gungnir MB. The Modi was still working when the Gumby arrived and I have no idea if it would work now. One day I'll give to someone and they can see. I have not inspected the Gumby's inside and no desire to. So far, I simply grin whenever it's in use.

And I hear...crickets. I did a search of "Modi" which brought up 486 hits. Out of the 486 hits, only two had issues with their Modi. That tells me that the Modi is a pretty good product.
I feel bad for the OP, but his issue isn't with the Modi itself. Because it doesn't work with his PC is not a reason to knock everything Schiit does. I don't believe he even attempted to use it on another PC. Maybe if he swapped his out with another PC he wouldn't have an issue. After all, he had no problems using it on a Mac.

He did say in post seven that he tried swapping PCs. That being said, sometimes bad units happen. I have only had my Modi Multibit for 5 months so my input into the quality does not yet have merit.

I am showing my computer dumbness here , but wouldn't a software problem be an easy fix ?
Not necessarily, though it would be easy to verify one way or the other by trying the DAC on one or more different computers. If it works on any of them, it's highly likely that the DAC is not at fault.

He did say in post seven that he tried swapping PCs.
Indeed, but did he swap the software too?

I've seen PC hardware swapped but the hard drive kept -- because that's where all your stuff is -- and problems remain because the problem lies in the software on the hard drive, not the computer hardware.

I'm just full of dumb questions , if the product is so heavily dependent on the PC , how hard would it have been for Schiiit to help the OP on the software end ?

I'm just full of dumb questions , if the product is so heavily dependent on the PC , how hard would it have been for Schiiit to help the OP on the software end ?
My question is, should we demand better treatment and service from a company making a DAC in the USA for $99 over a company making one in China for $99? Considering the employee in the states makes more in an hour than the one in China makes in a day, and the Chinese company likely doesn't have to comply with all that expensive to impliment regulation from OSHA, EPA, provide health insurance, not to mention all the additional regs that California adds.

What exactly would a tech support call to China be like for a Windows driver issue?
Perhaps George best answers it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom