Looking at a Yamaha RX-A1070 Will this do 5.1?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I need a new receiver that will pass 4k / HDR through HDMI to my new Sony HDR. My current Emotiva will not pass 4k, and it is causing issues with the processor not wanting to go into surround, because i am using the TV as a switcher, then feeding the Emotiva a digital signal from the TV. My kids use it mainly, and it's a constant battle.

I've been reading about 7.2 and 9.2 and 11.2 and Dolby Atmos and on and on. My setup is fixed with left, center, right, and rear surrounds mounted in the ceiling. I'm not adding anymore channels. Will these multi channel units still play 5.1? Will it automatically lock on to 5.1 based on my source material of Netflix, AppleTV and Xbox? I love the thought of having 2 sub outs, because I run 2 subwoofers. I'd like to buy this, plug in all my stuff, run the auto room calibrate, and start watching movies in surround sound again.

Onebean

One good thing with the Yamaha's, after hooking up your system, including speakers, Yamaha's YPAO setup program will test and automatically detect the speakers, adjust EQ and set levels, and tell the receiver how many speakers are being used. From 2 channel to 11.2. My RX-A3030 will do 9.2, with it's built in amps, and up to 11.2, with an additional external amp. I've never felt the need for that. I just run a 5.0 system, and it works fine.

Good luck.

Stimpy, thank you for the reply. That's good news. Now I just need to figure out if the 1070 is the right model. It seems like the 1070 is where the units start getting serious with good internal DACs, extra power, and better looks. Do you run dual subs with yours?

StimpyWan said 5.0, so I assume that to mean no subs. The Yamaha AVRs are pretty sweet. I ran a 3.0 set up, then a 3.1 now a 5.1 with two subs and it works great. I like the 7 channel stereo format even though I only use 5 channels. The machine is on about 5 hours a day for the last 3+ years with no issues.

Stimpy, thank you for the reply. That's good news. Now I just need to figure out if the 1070 is the right model. It seems like the 1070 is where the units start getting serious with good internal DACs, extra power, and better looks. Do you run dual subs with yours?

I have an older M&K V-3B sub, but I don't often use it. No need. My AR90's and AR58S speakers do enough bass for me, on their own.

I've also read it's best to set up your system as a 5.1 set up 1st. Then run the YPAO program. That balances out everything. Once done, add the 2nd sub, after the fact, and leave it as adjusted. If you hook up both subs 1st, and run YPAO, the receiver seems to set bass level too low. But, you can always go into the menu and tweak levels.

Oh, make sure to get the Yamaha App for your smart phone or tablet. It's a great App, and works good for adjustments, and as a remote.

The RX-A1070 does use the ESS Sabre DACs. Well worth it too. I love the sound quality of mine.

Check out Accessories4Less. They have awesome prices. That's where I got my 3030. They're authorized resellers and they come with warranties.

A4L

I need a new receiver that will pass 4k / HDR through HDMI to my new Sony HDR. My current Emotiva will not pass 4k, and it is causing issues with the processor not wanting to go into surround, because i am using the TV as a switcher, then feeding the Emotiva a digital signal from the TV. My kids use it mainly, and it's a constant battle.

I've been reading about 7.2 and 9.2 and 11.2 and Dolby Atmos and on and on. My setup is fixed with left, center, right, and rear surrounds mounted in the ceiling. I'm not adding anymore channels. Will these multi channel units still play 5.1? Will it automatically lock on to 5.1 based on my source material of Netflix, AppleTV and Xbox? I love the thought of having 2 sub outs, because I run 2 subwoofers. I'd like to buy this, plug in all my stuff, run the auto room calibrate, and start watching movies in surround sound again.

Onebean
It looks like the 1070 will run 2 subs and I recommend running dual subs as well although difficult to dial in correctly, but like stimpy wan said you can get very good results by running the ypao setup .

Audiofreak71

It looks like the 1070 will run 2 subs and I recommend running dual subs as well although difficult to dial in correctly, but like stimpy wan said you can get very good results by running the ypao setup .

Audiofreak71

It has two sub connections but be damned if I could find whether or not they're just a "Y" connection, so to speak, or if YPAO does something separately in the vein of Audyssey Sub EQ HT. My guess is they'd be honking that horn if so but it would be nice to know for sure.

It has two sub connections but be damned if I could find whether or not they're just a "Y" connection, so to speak, or if YPAO does something separately in the vein of Audyssey Sub EQ HT. My guess is they'd be honking that horn if so but it would be nice to know for sure.
I found that I had to seperatly calibrate my second sub when I used calibration from my receiver , I had my subs ran from the sub out on my receiver to one of my subs input then another sub cable from the first subs output to the second subs input . I ran the calibration then used an SPL meter to dial in the second sub which was very difficult to get correct . Now that don’t know if this is the best way to do this but it was the only way I could get everything as accurate as possible running dual subs . This was when I was using my Yamaha RX-Z9.

Audiofreak71

Now i’ve Added the Sony STR-ZA1100ES to the list of contenders. It looks like it has killer audio performance.

Onebean

I just picked up the Yamaha RX-A1070 last week, to re[place my old RX-V3800.
I am using it in 5.1 mode.
The unit knows when speakers are connected so there is no issue with the unused speaker outs. Should you desire to add a 2nd SW or front/rear effects just wire them in and set them up in the menu.
I did not use the YPAO for set up and chose to do it manually, I've had issues with the YPAO in the past

That 1070 is a beast. I ended up getting a Sony from one of my buddies (to good of a deal to pass up). I hope to get it hooked up this week. Hopefully it's as user friendly as the Yamaha's are.

That 1070 is a beast. I ended up getting a Sony from one of my buddies (to good of a deal to pass up). I hope to get it hooked up this week. Hopefully it's as user friendly as the Yamaha's are.

Good luck with the Sony. I think the menu systems in these receivers are all pretty similar. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

I have to agree that the 1070 is a beast. I like these middle of the top in the Yamaha line and I also want a unit with phono.
I got lucky with this one. I just happened to walk into Best Buy and it was on the Magnolia open box table. With a bit of haggling, I got it for 30% off.
So far the sound is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom