Why do my Koss Pro4AA headphones sound better than my wife's Beats

euta226

A little background... I have a very modest system. I have the following equipment:
  • Scott 325R Receiver
  • AudioControl C-101 Equalizer
  • Pioneer PL-12D Turntable
  • Pioneer RT-707 Tape Deck
  • Sansui SP-2000 Speakers
  • Koss Pro4AA Headphones
  • Beats Headphones (Don't know the model number but they are NOT wireless and have a build in microphone)
When I listen to the radio or records with the headphones, the Koss headphones sound completely normal. When i try using my wife's Beats headphones, it sounds awful, like they're not plugged in all the way. I've tried with two different headphone jack adapters with the same result.

I spoke to some young kid at BestBuy and he said new headphones have "multiple tweakers" and the older analog stereos can't make use of them all. I'm only 50 but what in the hell is a tweaker? I thought it was someone on drugs.

I thought maybe it was because of the built in microphone adding an additional ring around the jack that isn't accounted for on the older H.P. jacks.

I'd like to get some new, lighter and better sounding headphones but don't want to have to return anything I get because they have too many "tweakers" >:-(

It sounds like the 4 conductor TRS plug is not making contact with your old-skool (standard) 3 conductor socket adapters and this results in the Left and Right drivers being wired in series and out of phase. Pretty common with all the stupid variations on 3.5mm plugs these days.

You just need an adapter that goes from a 4 conductor 3.5mm to your 6.35mm stereo plug. It's all about the placement of the internal contact springs.

I wouldn't bother however, Beats sound awful at the best of times.

It sounds like the 4 conductor TRS plug is not making contact with your old-skool (standard) 3 conductor socket adapters and this results in the Left and Right drivers being wired in series and out of phase. Pretty common with all the stupid variations on 3.5mm plugs these days.

You just need an adapter that goes from a 4 conductor 3.5mm to your 6.35mm stereo plug. It's all about the placement of the internal contact springs.

I wouldn't bother however, Beats sound awful at the best of times.

I thought it was related to the jack, thanks for the advice (on the Jack and the beats opinion)!!

Just to throw out there, circa 2013, I think all the Beats phones I heard were marginal at best.

Having said that, I've heard a few more recent sets that still lean towards bloated bass, but they've sounded pretty decent overall. Still pretty overpriced, under built and more fashion-oriented, but I think they've stepped up their game overall as far as sound quality.

Just my experience.

Yeah. Only the first generation were truly bad. The second generation turned them around in 2014 and the third generation out now adds better connectivity, range and lower power consumption for iOS users.

But **** it up that first time around and the bad reputation really sticks.

Sounds like a connection issue.

I have the Pro4AA and have listened to later generation Beats. The Koss are WAY better.

For a lighter headphone with fine performance consider the Koss PortaPros. My son's pair sounds awesome. I also picked up a pair of Sennheiser noise cancelers for travel and I am now a fan of their products as well.

Forget the Beats and look at either of the other two.

Shelly_D

I have the Pro4AA and have listened to later generation Beats. The Koss are WAY better.

For a lighter headphone with fine performance consider the Koss PortaPros. My son's pair sounds awesome. I also picked up a pair of Sennheiser noise cancelers for travel and I am now a fan of their products as well.

Forget the Beats and look at either of the other two.

Shelly_D
Thanks Shelly, I'll check them out!

I also have a pair of Porta Pros. They are light, very comfortable, easy to drive and don't sound half bad. The price ain't bad either.

Back
Top Bottom