Digital quality through television

JBobJr

Here’s my set up:
Computer -> hdmi cable -> Vizio tv -> optical cable -> Onkyo A-9050

It sounds good to me, but I’m very new to hifi. Do you think it’s possible for the television to degrade the digital signal?

No, I don't think it would degrade the signal. It might try to process it as surround sound so you want to make sure the TV is setup not to do that. Otherwise it should be fine.

Mark Gosdin

For music, I'd shorten the digital signal and use a DAC to go directly from the computer to the Onkyo.

As for TV sound, you can run that directly to the Onkyo.

I've tried processing digital music through my Sony and, compared to having the DAC process it, processing through the TV sounded much worse.

But, those are my ears. Good luck with your choices.

I just upgraded from LG to Samsung HDR tv, noticed immediate difference in audio fidelity right away running signal from Satellite to TV HDMI input then out to DAC via spdif.

Why? I don't know. Better ICs or technology?

I've never taken an audio signal out of a TV directly. I use the TV signal source output.

For example: I take the TV audio signal out from the Satellite Receiver [Dish Hopper] (optical) to DAC [Schiit Modi 2 Uber] to
Yamaha Integrated (RCA input). Sounds really good to me … much better than I ever expected.

IME most TV sound from the last 15 years is quite good. This is especially so with commercials.

FWIW:
The HDMI output of my cable box is connected directly to my pre/pro.

Back
Top Bottom