A/D/S L880/2 Speakers, what is a fair price?

Pogue_Mahone

I'm a big fan of A/D/S and have been collecting their creations for years. This pair of L880s are in fantastic shape. The cabs do have some scratches in the walnut veneer, but nothing that couldn't be refinished. I really don't know what to price these at. I know they were $800-$900 new 30 years ago, but I'm not sure what to put them up for or really the best place to list them either. I've never really sold any of my good stuff. I'll attach some pics. I also have the original brochure in pdf.
20180723_201445.jpg 20180723_200955.jpg 20180723_201656.jpg

I'd say welcome but heck you are a very long time member, first time caller as it were. Now to feed that post count.

A few hundred is about right, 225-350, I guess. These can vary by market. There is a set on the bay for 225 or offer in SoCal which might be a great buy for someone. These don't have the recognition of the dual woofer boxes or the columns which can keep their price a bit lower.

Best option is to become a subscriber ($25/year) and list them in Bartertown.
Pretty remarkable deals and such there ... dealing with just other AK subscribers ...

It will depend on where you are selling them. If ebay definitely higher, if craigslist much lower but you don't need to worry about packing.

Two pairs came up locally on craigslist (MA & RI) with one set at $60 & the other $85. Both were black. Walnut veneer will bring a bit more.

Here in the Wash. DC area they seem to be listed on CL for $200 - $300, seen them listed for more but those listings hang around for quite a while.

Thank you, I would prefer to not have to ship these. I'm in Oregon. I never see them come up on Craigslist here. Man for $60 or 85 I'd swoop a set. I'd rather list them here than ebay. I'm not a fan of ebay. 2-300 sounds a bit low, but fair I guess. Any less than that and I don't think it would be worth selling them.

You could always list them for higher on CL and gradually lower the price over time till you get a bite.

hmmm....I sold a pair in Oregon a few years ago. $300 was the price if memory serves.

I wonder if that is the same pair....

I bought a black pair of series 2, last year on Craigs list in Chicago suburbs for $220. They were scratched and grills had slight dents that I mostly removed.
I have them setup with second pair,in parallel, side by side. I bought first set, walnut series 1, in '85, new for $750.
I like them. I would try starting at $350 and lower til sold or you change your mind.

So what do you have that you like better? Maybe another ADS in pic?

Last edited:
One pair of L880 has been listed on local CL here, started out at $550, and now it's down to $350, walnut finish, some scratches, still no takers. I've been watching it.

About six months ago, I bought a black pair of L980 for $80, with one tweeter out, with cabinet scratches, but perfect metal grilles. Only the L980 and L1590 use that mid and tweeter, and I wasn't about to take it from my L1590, so I just subbed a lower model tweeter into it. They sound great.

I love ADS but with the exception of a few nice models, the rest do not sell fast around here...

One pair of L880 has been listed on local CL here, started out at $550, and now it's down to $350, walnut finish, some scratches, still no takers. I've been watching

Down to $325.

I’ve been watching too, but I’m not sure it is what I want to spend my money on.

What a coincidence, I saw those on CL today. It's a bit of a drive so good luck!

Getting smoke from fires down that way?

I bought a black pair of series 2, last year on Craigs list in Chicago suburbs for $220. They were scratched and grills had slight dents that I mostly removed.
I have them setup with second pair,in parallel, side by side. I bought first set, walnut series 1, in '85, new for $750.
I like them. I would try starting at $350 and lower til sold or you change your mind.

So what do you have that you like better? Maybe another ADS in pic?
Yes I have a pair of L1090s that I got first. They are a bit more cosmetically challenged, the grills are trashed. But they sound amazing. I'm considering selling off more of my stuff to get a little side business off the ground. I have an amazing mobile system that has just been sitting in boxes for years. McIntosh ADS, Nakamichi. The 880s I'm least attracted to. Figured I feel out the market with these.. Seems to be a bit softer than I expected.

I've sold two items here in Bartertown. Both from member get-togethers. You could look for a local one. Also meet other members. Have made four purchases, one with a cross country double boxed amp shipment. I may be just lucky, but very satisfied with experiences. Not that it makes sense to ship those. Might find an interested local member, if your near a larger city.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't really want to ship them. I really don't like selling stuff. Lol. However I am thinking about selling alot of my collection. I should just get a membership and list them all here. If much rather do that than deal with Craigslist or one of the other buy, sell apps. I'm on a couple Facebook audio groups too. I hate ebay. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom