Bluesound Node 2

Drugolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Now rocking one of these in my main system after my little laptop I was using (USB to Emotiva XDA-2) took a dump. I mostly stream Spotify and Tidal, but I also pointed it to my FLAC file collection on my network and it synced right up. Can use whatever interface you want or have including your phone, tablet laptop - MAC, Android or Windows that you already have.
Went to the local high end stereo shop to see what my options were for media streamers and this one just made too much sense, especially considering the price point and versatility to use it for other things at some point.
Allowed me to also clean up the look of things with my main system by removing the laptop and DAC and insert this little cute box instead. Win win.
Sounds fantastic and i am only scratching the surface so far until I get me some hi res files to try with it.

Yes, the Bluesound devices are great. I'm using them for whole-house stereo, and once I upgraded my wifi with a mesh network, it works flawlessly. Enjoy!

Installed a Node 2 on my main system over the weekend, loving everything about it, the sound the interface are all excellent. Removed a PC and the Creek remote volume control so the installation is also much cleaner.

Graham

I'm a very happy Node 2 user. @RichPA is a mesh network just a bunch of "extenders" all around the house? If not, can you explain? Also, Since I live in a small apartment I will likely NOT be using the Node2 in multi-mode, but I am wondering if you have a dedicated HiFi system somewhere and then run satellite speakers or if all of your speakers are just satellites.

A mesh network is different than a router plus extenders. Here's what I use: https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_learn?hl=en-US Another example is Orbi by Netgear, but if you google "mesh network" you'll see a number of options. I'm quite happy with the Google Wifi system I use.

I have multiple stand-alone systems, each with a Bluesound Node 2 as the source. So no satellite speakers from the main system, just several systems each with its own amplifier and speaker pair.

Three Bluesound devices here, on 3 different systems. In my office, Powernode 2 with optical out from my PC (just for YouTube videos & similar) powering my desktop KEF LS50 passive speakers. Living room 5.1 system of KEF R series I have BluOS kit integral to my NAD T758 receiver. That system used 95% or more of the time in 2.1 or 2.0 for music. Upstairs guest bedroom, a Bluesound Vault 2 into an older Denon AVR-1912 for music out to Halfer 300's, though there's 3 other speakers & a sub on that 5.1 system.

I love this BluOS integration because it was so easy to get setup and it runs great. I do stream Tidal HiFi, and have it mapped to the 550 or CD's I had ripped to the Vault 2. I can run a different music source at each, pair two, team all 3, whatever I want and it's all done on my Android tablet ) or my PC if I'm sitting at my desk. A saved playlist I create can be any combination of streamed files and my own, all streamed, or all my own. Each unit gets lifetime free firmware and software updates, and they listen to their customers as they introduce new features and/or fix irritations (very few of those.)

Last edited:
It should be noted that the Vault and Vault 2 does need actual Ethernet connection rather than just wireless. I forget why they insist upon that, but think it's because the unit potentially acts as a "server" for other units on the BluOS network, streaming it's files out while it could also be streaming from a service with a high bandwidth.

I used a Powerline adapter to get that Ethernet to my upstairs bedroom.

Another happy BS Node 2 customer. And agree with @RichPA that to avoid streaming dropouts, use the ethernet or enhance your wifi signal. I use Fios with Quantum router upgrade. My Tidal streams were dropping frequently, so I ended up with the same mesh option Rich chose along with connecting my Node 2 direct. Its hard to believe, but I did notice an improvement in sound quality.

Also, you probably know the BS Node 2 can unfold MQA files from Tidal and the internal DAC is adequate. If your DAC doesn't support MQA, the Node still unfolds......fwiw.

Which Powerline adapter are you using and what are your experiences with it performance wise?

I picked a Netgear brand one @ Staples and I haven't found any way to "bring it to it's knees" yet. :) I have Charter/Spectrum internet service running about 85mb/s and so far, streaming Tidal HiFi, Netflix, and Vudu have all been flawless.

My first exposure to Powerline Ethernet was about a year and a half ago. My cousin and her husband bought a new Vault 2 along with an NAD C356BEE amp to feed their new Totem Sttaf speakers. She had no Ethernet in their home and it would have been really costly to run wires. This solved the problem easily. I was very skeptical, but it does indeed work perfectly.

Thank you Ken!

Glad to be of help. BTW, my cousin's internet was only a cable modem with one Ethernet connection to an Apple wireless router. Luckily it had one Ethernet output for me to connect to the Powerline adapter! Knowing absolutely ZERO about anything Apple/IOS, I still managed to get it working quickly. I'm still not certain how that happened. ;)

ANyone heard of issues with Node 2 not showing all music files with Windows 10? I have worked with tech support and they cant seem to find the out why it isn't finding all the files

I have all my stored files on my Vault 2, so my Powernode 2 and my NAD T758v3 both find it without issue. With the Node 2, it's usually best to have all the files on ONE drive that's on the same network as your Node 2. That makes it far easier to map just that one directory, and index it to the BluOS system.

What is your current network configuration? It should work wirelessly, and my T758v3 is on the network that way. My Powernode 2 is via Ethernet on the same network.

Last night I joined the ranks of happy Bluesound Node 2i owners. I have it hooked up to my living room two channel rig now, but it might end up on my vintage Sansui system in the master bedroom. I like the fact I can stream my music library which resides on a FREENAS server and I can use the NODE to stream Internet Radio and local radio stations.

Last edited:
Last night I joined the ranks of happy Bluesound Node 2i owners. I have it hooked up to my living room two channel rig now, but it might end up on my vintage Sansui system in the master bedroom. I like the fact I can stream my music library which resides on a FREENAS server and I can use the NODE to stream Internet Radio and local radio stations.

If you look around, one can find the older Node N100 for very little money (compared to a Node 2i) and since it connects and works together with your current Node 2i, that would allow having one on each system. By itself the Node N100 cant do Airplay 2, but with a 2i that can, that capability is shared. I often click on the devices icon to get the current play queue loaded to and playing on another system, then when I get to that room shut the other one off.

As a side note, I no longer have the Powernode 2. I gave it to my son when I got the NAD Master M10 amp that has BluOS native to it.

I sold my Node 2. But still run a Vault 2 in the main rig. I may pick up a power Node for the main living room to play tunes in at some point. I love these BlueOS devices!

NAD is Bluesound, in a way, yes?

If you look around, one can find the older Node N100 for very little money (compared to a Node 2i) and since it connects and works together with your current Node 2i, that would allow having one on each system. By itself the Node N100 cant do Airplay 2, but with a 2i that can, that capability is shared. I often click on the devices icon to get the current play queue loaded to and playing on another system, then when I get to that room shut the other one off.

As a side note, I no longer have the Powernode 2. I gave it to my son when I got the NAD Master M10 amp that has BluOS native to it.

NAD is Bluesound, in a way, yes?

Both are part of the Lenbrook Group, as is PSB and they are the Dali importer for North America. You'll start seeing much more NAD & Bluesound integrated product as time goes on. They are in the process of joining the two engineering groups together right now, and customer support teams along with that effort.

By itself the Node N100 cant do Airplay 2, but with a 2i that can, that capability is shared.

Thanks for that info. No "Airplay 2" needed in my household.

Meanwhile, I've moved my NODE 2i to my study/computer room upstairs. It's feeding my new-to-me Blue Circle CS integrated amp and it sounds fantastic. I can control the track/album selection via my ANDROID phone or computer. I might not need another audio source in this room. :music:

Back
Top Bottom