Some of the Best Female Guitarist on video, wow! Is an understatement!!

The part that impresses me the most is she's playing left handed but the guitar is still strung right handed. ;)
I know two guitarists who do this, both left handed obviously, one is a girl too......She plays like that because the only guitar she could learn on was strung right handed.....so she just figured it out herself how to get the chords right...
It makes a unique sound because they always sound like they are backwards strumming....high to low, instead of the usual low to high...

I have been playing the guitar for 45 years, I have my own style, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Mick Ralphs, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Paul Kossoff are my main influences, I am not shredder, I do not listen to a lot of shredding at all.
However, I recognise the intense physical and mental aspect of playing like that, the co-ordination, muscle memory, the hours of practice, and combined with natural ability to play like that is extraordinary.
I have met Nita Strauss, she is such a honey and extremely passionate about playing music, she is a real show person and when she's on stage, you can see how much she loves what she does.....and that is what its all about.
You can say this about any of the Axe wielding women mentioned in this thread, I never diss another musician or their style as music is fuelled by passion and I feel its disrespectful from a human perspective.
I feel it is my obligation as a musician to appreciate what other musicians do, no matter what the style....
The girl playing the Comfortably Numb solo, is hardly shredding though? I thought that was really good...

Great thread though, some real gems being unearthed here.....

Not saying shredding doesn't have its place, it certainly does. Heck, John McLaughlin was shredding YEARS before Speed/Thrash Metal and whatnot "shredding", eh? And then there's paco DeLucia to consider: shredding @ an acoustic (flamenco w/ nylon strings!) geetar w/out a pick but fingers only. Sheesh he was an astounding player.

Hell, Steve Howe can shred.

Last edited:
^^^ and for the record (heh heh) I LOVE the playing styles, both "shredding" in my book, of Mr Vivian Campbell (w/ DIO) and Mr Steve Vai during his career phase touring w/ Frank Zappa. And then there's Kirk Hammet, another who can shred w/ the best of 'em. Shredding is ok but it STILL needs to be musically engaging, not merely "Wingnut" Malmsteening up & down the fretboard.

^^^ and for the record (heh heh) I LOVE the playing styles, both "shredding" in my book, of Mr Vivian Campbell (w/ DIO) and Mr Steve Vai during his career phase touring w/ Frank Zappa. And then there's Kirk Hammet, another who can shred w/ the best of 'em. Shredding is ok but it STILL needs to be musically engaging, not merely "Wingnut" Malmsteening up & down the fretboard.
Indeed, good points there......

Not saying shredding doesn't have its place, it certainly does. Heck, John McLaughlin was shredding YEARS before Speed/Thrash Metal and whatnot "shredding", eh? And then there's paco DeLucia to consider: shredding @ an acoustic (flamenco w/ nylon strings!) geetar w/out a pick but fingers only. Sheesh he was an astounding player.

Hell, Steve Howe can shred.
Ritchie Blackmore was sweeping arpeggios in the late 60's.......one of a bunch of innovators at that time

Well, I can't play like that, I do my thing and thats what I do, I explore as far a I can go but I know my limits....

Yeah, the ES335, correct.....Wring that Neck was epic!! Still is Epic!!

Indeed. Alas I fear that we're drifting a bit from the OP's topic, Kev. Best we get back on track w/ discussion of The Ladies Of Geetar Greatness. While I cannot @ this moment recall her name, the gal geetar player for My Bloody Valentine, @ least @ the time of Loveless, had a cool technique and definitely her own sound.

Buffy Sainte-Marie was not only a fine songwriter but also a talented (acoustic) geetar picker.

P.S. though she was not a shredder

I'll raise you two beautiful and talented women. How about Janice Marie Johnson (bass) and Hazel Payne (lead/rhythm) from the band "A Taste of Honey"?

and another version here :

Lee.

Back
Top Bottom