I want a microscope but this looks fishy

Yeah, I keep my eyes open for them but not all the time. Yes, I would like a Zeiss or something too but they are typically priced as you might expect. The university near me had a surplus store but they closed that several years ago.

Actually they had an electron microscope at that surplus store at one time. Damn, the one that got away!

That is total junk! My father has sold surgical microscopes for 30+ yrs. Look for Nikon, Olympus or Ziess. Cheaper still is Bausch & Lomb or American Optical. If your near a University find out if they have a surplus store open to the public.

Those brands are common and pretty good LIGHT microscopes.

The eBay one advertised a 2500X total magnification. The highest magnification that light microscopes are capable of is 1000X using an oil immersion lens. The eBay one... well, that 2500X claim is similar to the 2500 WATT receivers we've all read/heard/seen. BOGUS.

You should be able to get a good, used scope of any of those brands mentioned by nolasally. Get one that has been serviced by a professional.

Amscope is a recognized brand, albeit not top grade, with reasonably good reports online for price vs performance. I don't expect miracles at this level and do not need super high magnification; 200x is plenty.

Most higher end name brand used scopes I see near me are several hundred and up. I can't justify that much.

Anyway, I am in no rush.

We have an Amscope at work. It is very well made. Nice optics. Just buy it directly from Amscope.

I think there might just be some hacking going on. This item includes a USB camera for about $10 more and apparently ships from the US.

However I could check out with this and decided to risk it. As you say, eBay should cover me if it is not legit.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AmScope-40X-2500X-LED-Digital-Binocular-Compound-Microscope-3D-Stage-USB-Camera/223147391426?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20180124153937&meid=841dbde41f4a44dcb27af83e38931231&pid=100623&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=232922560569&itm=223147391426&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
This too is a SCAM per notice from ebay-stay away!

Not sure what the scammer was trying to achieve if the payment is made to the hacked account and not diverted like before where you have a picture (jpg) of blinking email address embedded onto the page....

Check out surplus auctions if you want a microscope. I have a compound and a dissecting scope at my place, both University surplus. I don't use them often, but they are fun to have.

I don't know jack about scopes, is either of those good for peeking at styluses? Styli. When I worked at the Bureau of Mines lab at NM Tech we had a stereo microscope that was awesome. The diamond looked like a giant mountain surrounded by boulders (which were NM desert sand particles! :eek:).

The dissecting scope is best, based on focal distance and depth. However, the magnification isn't great. There won't be any "diamond mountain", but rather a hillock.

Back
Top Bottom