What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Car commercials where people are doing all of these fun and exciting things, all because they drive this one PARTICULAR car.

Like I can't go to the beach or hike in the redwoods because I drive a 2005 CR-V...

Similar. They always show these car commercials where the car is definitely driving way over any posted limit. No wonder I'm passed like I'm standing still by all these cars with temporary plates. Madison Avenue license to speed.

Or car commercials that no matter what they are doing, there is fine print "professional driver, on a closed course, do not attempt". Basically saying, "Or truck is built for offroad! Just don't take it offroad. And our truck is built for dropping 40 tons of gravel into the bed from 30ft up, just don't actually do it".

Basically all commercials say one thing, and have contradictory fine print. Car commercials, medicine, storewide sales* <-- "exclusions may apply", etc.

Or car commercials that no matter what they are doing, there is fine print "professional driver, on a closed course, do not attempt". <snip>

Those really crack me up when it is someone just driving down a regular road at normal speed in the commercial.
They are so paranoid of lawsuits that they have to put disclaimers on everything because someone will wreck and then go back to the commercial and run it frame by frame and find that they were driving at 35 in a 25 zone and say they were shown by the car company that speeding was okay.

‘Giant Labor Day Sale”, weeks after Labor Day, of course. The add goes on to state “Save up to 50% — OR MORE!” OK, I’m with you on the first part of the sentence but I am confused by the inclusion of OR MORE that follows the “up to” part. And why are you screaming? Am I the only one?

How about items with an "everyday low price" of 2 for $5?
Can't you just call them $2.50 each?

...and then you find the same item at another store, regularly priced at $1.69 each?

Those really crack me up when it is someone just driving down a regular road at normal speed in the commercial.
They are so paranoid of lawsuits that they have to put disclaimers on everything because someone will wreck and then go back to the commercial and run it frame by frame and find that they were driving at 35 in a 25 zone and say they were shown by the car company that speeding was okay.

Someone told me that started in the 90's when Jeep showed a Wrangler climbing a gravel pit and parking on top on the edge of the drop-off. I do remember that particular commercial. Apparently someone did that, dropped off the edge, sued and won. Who knows.

How about items with an "everyday low price" of 2 for $5?
Can't you just call them $2.50 each?
That is annoying. I am retired, just wife and me.
Our local supermarkets do the double up thing. eg. Buy two 1 doz pack of bread rolls for $5.
I don't want two! I only want one pack. So I have to pay $3.5 for one. I have made this point at checkout, they say put one in the freezer. It's not the same, they are never as good.

I have made this point at checkout, they say put one in the freezer.

Also in the silly advice department: Used to have a dental hygienist who, whenever I said "I know I should floss more", would always say "Do it while the water is getting hot for your shower!" Lady, the bathroom is right on top of the water heater. That takes 15 seconds. Most houses, 30 seconds tops. That's not even time to cut off a piece of floss and wrap it around your fingers. Yet it was always the same advice. I wonder what her hot water bill was. :rolleyes:

Also in the silly advice department: Used to have a dental hygienist who, whenever I said "I know I should floss more", would always say "Do it while the water is getting hot for your shower!" Lady, the bathroom is right on top of the water heater. That takes 15 seconds. Most houses, 30 seconds tops. That's not even time to cut off a piece of floss and wrap it around your fingers. Yet it was always the same advice. I wonder what her hot water bill was. :rolleyes:
Besides, it's a flagrant waste of water, which leads to another peeve of mine ...

Flagrant waste of water. I think it's a generational thing, as old people seem to be the worst offenders. I go over to visit my dad, and if I ask for a glass of water, he'll insist on running the tap for five minutes, waiting for the water to get cold. I notice the same sort of thing at the gym -- the old guys will run all six showers at once, laboring under the misapprehension that this somehow gets the water hotter faster.

We can't afford to do this shit anymore, folks.

as old people seem to be the worst offenders.
I don't wish to be contrary noogies, but, I think the younger ones are more wastful.
I have had my daughter and son-in-law and 2 grandkids live with us on 3 occasions over the years.
Honestly, that shower goes on for hours. I end up calling out "nobody is that dirty"

We can't afford to do this shit anymore, folks.

I wish I had a bumper sticker with that on it...but no one would know which shit I was talking about.

Actually that may be a good thing. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I have observed waste amongst all generations. My FIL, in his 80s, leaves his house air conditioned or heated within an inch of its life whether he's there or not. He's a life-long plumber and HVAC guy and has a nice setback thermostat, which he refuses to use. "As long as I can afford the bill I should be able to use as much as I want." :dunno: Some of my wife's sibs (in their 50s with grown kids) do things like refusing to use the curbside recycling because 'they tried it and got nastygrams about not doing it right so f#&% it." They have a trash compactor and throw EVERYTHING in there and crush it. And the kids with the fast food trash and the plastic single serving bottles. Ugh. Now they're breeding a fourth generation and who knows what new abominations of waste they will invent. :biggrin:

OK, its time for a real pet peeve. How is it that when I am listening to one of my favorite stations on Pandora, especially Motown, Bourbon Street, or one of my oldies stations, when it is time for dinner or to shut down for the night and go to bed, they play the best song of the night? And that follows by another best song of the night! I listen to just one more great tune and then there is another one that I just cant walk away from. Pretty soon its half an hour later and my wife is complaining. It happens all the time. How do they do that? How DO they know?

Not much of a peeve, is it? Remember, we are charged by the OP with having a laugh, right?

If I can end the day with that being my biggest problem of the day, it will have been a mighty good day after all!

Or car commercials that no matter what they are doing, there is fine print "professional driver, on a closed course, do not attempt". Basically saying, "Or truck is built for offroad! Just don't take it offroad. And our truck is built for dropping 40 tons of gravel into the bed from 30ft up, just don't actually do it".
Back around 1980 an ad agency was taking still photos for a brochure for the Chevy El Camino at the state park where I worked. They had to pay for a permit to shoot in a red pine plantation where vehicles weren't allowed and for two off-duty rangers to oversee the production, keep the public away, bring them stuff, etc. The photo was a rear 3/4 view of the back of the El Camino with two flannel-shirted guys with chainsaws loading the bed with cut firewood. It happened that the park also had it's own El Camino at the time (no connection), and we were all wondering how they could load so much weight on it since we knew ours couldn't. Turned out they had hidden jacks under the body to keep it level so it looked like you could load way more cargo than it was capable of. They also used the previous model year's vehicle in the shot because the brochure was intended for the upcoming year which hadn't started production yet. The models were posed in front of the tail lights to hide the difference. This was way before digital photography was in use.

The expression "we caught up with" - used by TV news "journalists" to introduce some interview with some out-of-shape nobody whom a turtle could "catch up with". I just hate it - I don't know why - I just do. "Our metro reporter Jill Newsy caught up with Mr. Nobody who hasn't left his desk in four hours except to use the bathroom".

The expression "we caught up with" - used by TV news "journalists" to introduce some interview with some out-of-shape nobody whom a turtle could "catch up with". I just hate it - I don't know why - I just do. "Our metro reporter Jill Newsy caught up with Mr. Nobody who hasn't left his desk in four hours except to use the bathroom".

Spot on, Mr L.

Back
Top Bottom