Reel to Reel service near Milwaukee?

just purchased a Pioneer rt-909 and I would like to have this thing gone through by someone who knows what they are doing. I don't want to drop it off at a shop only to have it sent out to their repair guy.

the deck records and plays. I cleaned and demagnetized the heads, replaced the capstan wheels.
It sounds ok but not as good as my Teac a3340s.

I love the deck, always wanted one, now I want things like head alignment, bias, eq and any and all
calibration set to specs.

Can anyone recommend someone within an hour or 2 from milwaukee for this?

shipping it would be pricey

From what I've heard from him is that he was a certified and trained technician with Teac. I contacted him a few years ago about having my deck worked on, but the shipping cost was too much. Give him a call.

raw

He is in the process of fixing a WM D-6 for me. He is a bit crusty but a real good tech. Check out his site and take a look around TapeHeads as he often posts there

Sam is a great tech but be prepared to wait in line for his service since there are currently 100+ folks ahead of you. You may also want to check out this service option. Roman Sokolov who is the owner and tech does some incredible work on Pioneer R2Rs.

https://www.theelectronicengineers.com/

PAUL C.;

I'll agree with all, that Sam, Skywavbe, is among the best out there. He's been TEACs senior tech in the past. But, the last time I read one of his Emails about it, he had over 200 decks there, to fix up. It would take some time for him to get to it.

Here is a place that I've taken my decks to for repairs. Lancer's TV & Video. Give it a Google search. South Chicago Ave, in South Milwaukee. The door in is on the North side of the Beer Depot. 306 is the addy., I believe.

I've had my 5050 in there for a meter circuit rebuild, a TEAC 3300 with record problems, and they have nothing against working on Sonys, either. I've had my 755 in for record issues, too. Louie re cal'ed my TEAC before he called me, to go and pick it up after repairs. I know they can do that, too.

Louie, the tech, and his assistant, can do a good job of fixing these kind of decks up. I have no complaints of their work at all.

Jim, the guy that runs the place, will answer the phone if you call. They want $50 up front when you drop something off for work.

Give them a try.

Lu.

PAUL C.;

I'll agree with all, that Sam, Skywavbe, is among the best out there. He's been TEACs senior tech in the past. But, the last time I read one of his Emails about it, he had over 200 decks there, to fix up. It would take some time for him to get to it.

Here is a place that I've taken my decks to for repairs. Lancer's TV & Video. Give it a Google search. South Chicago Ave, in South Milwaukee. The door in is on the North side of the Beer Depot. 306 is the addy., I believe.

I've had my 5050 in there for a meter circuit rebuild, a TEAC 3300 with record problems, and they have nothing against working on Sonys, either. I've had my 755 in for record issues, too. Louie re cal'ed my TEAC before he called me, to go and pick it up after repairs. I know they can do that, too.

Louie, the tech, and his assistant, can do a good job of fixing these kind of decks up. I have no complaints of their work at all.

Jim, the guy that runs the place, will answer the phone if you call. They want $50 up front when you drop something off for work.

Give them a try.

Lu.
Hey Thanks, thats a little closer than chicago. I just put a new belt and pinch rollers on it and its sounds a lot better than when I brought it home.
someone actually used a big rubber band for a replacement belt and sections of automotive hose for capstan wheels. fluttered like crazy.
I really want to have the thing calibrated, brakes adjusted ect. also a health check on the heads. I did the fingernail test and can feel a ridge.
the wear looks nice and even but I dont have a clue to what an acceptable amount of wear is

Sam is a great tech but be prepared to wait in line for his service since there are currently 100+ folks ahead of you. You may also want to check out this service option. Roman Sokolov who is the owner and tech does some incredible work on Pioneer R2Rs.

https://www.theelectronicengineers.com/
I didnt ask what the turnaround time was but some ballpark quotes he gave me on service seemed very reasonable.
I assumed he was pretty busy.

I did the fingernail test and can feel a ridge.
the wear looks nice and even but I dont have a clue to what an acceptable amount of wear is
This thread may provide some useful info on tape wear.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=3700

Roman Sokolov, who I mentioned earlier, has been able to obtain newly manufactured heads for the Pioneer RT-909, RT-901, RT-707 and RT-701. Both he and Sam currently have or will have access to these if your heads need to be replaced.

Good to read again, Paul;

There is no doubt that Lancers' will get your deck lined up and cal'ed.

But, should you care to go through the wait, and send it to Sam, you will get a deck back that is set to use the higher quality tapes that are made today. Tape made in the '70s and '80s isn't as good as tape made today.

Sam can install upgrades to your deck, for the newer tapes, that will have it performing better than new. And with more than 40 years of experience repairing decks, he knows how to do such things.

The choice is yours, of course.

Just to let you know what you would end up with, sending it to Sam,. on the other hand.

Lu.

Good to read again, Paul;

There is no doubt that Lancers' will get your deck lined up and cal'ed.

But, should you care to go through the wait, and send it to Sam, you will get a deck back that is set to use the higher quality tapes that are made today. Tape made in the '70s and '80s isn't as good as tape made today.

Sam can install upgrades to your deck, for the newer tapes, that will have it performing better than new. And with more than 40 years of experience repairing decks, he knows how to do such things.

The choice is yours, of course.

Just to let you know what you would end up with, sending it to Sam,. on the other hand.

Lu.
Might be worth the wait, I was really impressed when I spoke to him.

This thread may provide some useful info on tape wear.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=3700

Roman Sokolov, who I mentioned earlier, has been able to obtain newly manufactured heads for the Pioneer RT-909, RT-901, RT-707 and RT-701. Both he and Sam currently have or will have access to these if your heads need to be replaced.

that thread is helpful, mine are about 1/8 wear so maybe worth having them polished or just run them till they wear out.
tempted to try to polish myself but you gotta get them straight across perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom