1969 HOOD AMP REPRO

So far, the Q5 Pro, AD18, SA-50 and SA-98. No plans to get any more though I do like their DAC's. The SU-8 looks interesting. Just wish it used an AKM chip is all.

As for their DAC I own, or have owned the SD1955+ Sanskrit, SD793-ii, M3, M8.... I've played with a bit of their gear. It's been a fun journey :)

Thanks for the feedback.
How would you rate the sd793ii amongst the other dacs that you’ve tried ?
I’ve got one with a lm4562 in the output stage but was never 100% happy with it for critical listening. I think the input power was abit poor.

Better than the SD1955+ having a wider sound stage. They're not in the same ballpark as DAC's such as the M8 or Xiang Sheng DAC-01A.

The very best inexpensive DAC I've come across though is a Weilang Audio DAC based around the AKM 4497EQ chip.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182872464544

I'll be getting this one modified, replacing the OPAMPS with output transformers. It's not quite up there with my Gieseler Gross DAC though is pretty spectacular nonetheless. :)

I've found that output transformers give the musicality of tubes through with added transparency and detail. The best of both worlds.

2PCS / 10K:10K permalloy audio isolation transformer, balanced and unbalanced conversion audio isolator
http://s.aliexpress.com/FBvA36Rz?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

If anycares about MO.
Just picked one up from a fellow AK’er. Thinking worth a try as a back up for my Maggie 8802. I swapped it with the maggie about 2 hrs ago, Now for those words I suck at :D. So far I think it will be a good back up. IMO it is lacking the detail, clarity and sound stage of the maggie but I wasn’t excepting it to so all is good with the world. If it last, for the money I think it will be a good enough back up.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
If anycares about my MO.
Just picked one up from a fellow AK’er. Thinking worth a try as a back up for my Maggie 8802. I swapped it with the maggie about 2 hrs ago, Now for those words I suck at :D. So far I think it will be a good back up. IMO it is lacking the detail, clarity and sound stage of the maggie but I wasn’t excepting it to so all is good with the world. If it last, for the money I think it will be a good enough back up.

:beerchug:
Give it some days to make a determination.

Give it some days to make a determination.

Oh I will, that’s just me doing the same song I know very well on both numerous times and concentrating on one aspect each time. Pretty easy to make the clarity and sound stage observations. It will run for a few weeks before it goes on standby.

Oh I will, that’s just me doing the same song I know very well on both numerous times and concentrating on one aspect each time. Pretty easy to make the clarity and sound stage observations. It will run for a few weeks before it goes on standby.
I think it's a good class comparison to a console amp. I haven't spent a lot of time with mine.

It's an old story around here but always bears repeating: associated equipment and listening environment make (almost) all the difference. With the Kappas I thought the Hood amp was thick in the mid-bass, but with the a/d/s speakers if anything the bass is tight and it's the treble which is on the strong side. But yeah, it takes days or weeks (and more experiments) to really get a feel for a new device.

Living in s tiny house it’s has to fit in the system I have. No room for extra speakers to mix and match.

That kinda limits the choices to what you are working with the, plus considering the Allo Volt +D as a nice fit.

The maggie sounds great with the KG’s in my space, this amp is strictly for back up. So far it sounds good enough for that.

You may be there then, time will tell.

Yeah I read this thread before I bought this one. Figured I would give my take on it since it will be sharing a system with a 10watt tube amp and has been discribed as “Tube” like by some.

Another off topic observation while comparing these 2 10wpc amps. Tidal HIFi to my DAC sound noticeably better than my DV-45a as a transport to the same DAC playing the same album.

I'd thought about adding a decent dac, but I don't download media and don't know if I need one or how to implement one for what-all. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued.

Easily one of the best DAC's I've tried is the S.M.S.L Sanskrit PRO-B. Just spectacular when content is unscaled to 384K. Even better again with a Boyuu Reisong 1:2 SUT between it and the amp. Comes close to some seriously expensive DAC's ;)

Finally picked one of these up on BT (Nobsound flavor). Now for some listening.

I picked up one with a different name for an AK’er as a back up for my Maggie 8802 tube amp. Sounds pretty decent but a few steps down from the Maggie.

Back
Top Bottom