2019 AXPONA and RMAF

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
2019 AXPONA is April 12-14, 2019 at the Renaissance Schaumburg. I've already made my reservation at the Springhill Suites, same hotel some of us stayed at last year. I'll be arriving Thursday April 11 and leaving Sunday afternoon (although depending on how things go, especially if there is a blast of winter weather, I might decide to stay an extra night). For those who did not attend last year, this is right across the freeway from the convention center. My AAA rate per night is $93 plus tax. The Ren Schaumburg is double that. (Uh, no thanks.)

As I have been heading west a couple of times per year, I have reserved a room for 2019 RMAF. While I'm not 100% sure I'm going, I am grabbing a reservation so I am not scrambling at the last minute.

RMAF has moved to the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center. It is only 10 miles from the airport, and there is public transportation (including a rail line) serving the airport. It is also located near E-470.

Rooms there are even more absurdly expensive than the Renaissance Schaumburg, but there is a Baymont Inn and Suites less than two miles away that is closer to $100/night. I've reserved five nights there--arriving Wednesday Sept 4 and departing Monday Sept 9.

I'm putting the RMAF information up here in case anyone from our area is thinking of going, as once the attendees start scoping out rooms, the better and less expensive places will fill up fast. More information here: https://www.audiofest.net/attending/rates-tickets/ .

Along with a change in venue, RMAF's dates have changed--Friday Sept 6 to Sunday Sept 8. Thursday is press day, not open to the public. Online registration starts on March 1, 2019.

RMAF location:

upload_2018-11-1_23-27-19.png

Extraordinarily TBD on my part at this time, but hoping to make one or both again!

@DC With AXPONA only a few hour drive away*, I'll be going unless there is some total catastrophe on this end.

* I was in San Diego a few weeks ago. A drive like Chicago is like a trip to the bakery in comparison! :D

If only someone would invent an a faster way to travel across the country, like how birds fly or something. :D

(BTW, when were you in SD? We were just there for Labor Day.)

If only someone would invent an a faster way to travel across the country, like how birds fly or something. :D

(BTW, when were you in SD? We were just there for Labor Day.)
We were in SD 10/2 to 10/6; I left SD on the 6th towards Pahrump NV (to visit Death Valley NP). I had wanted to make the climb up to Hanging Lake in CO on the way back home but got rained/snowed out. But I prefer driving since I have the time, and I stop at a lot of spots along the way, especially through Utah--photography and hiking/climbing are my thing out there, along with some mild off-roading. (I finally scratched Corona Arch/Bowtie Arch and Tower Arch off of my bucket list, just one stop among many.)

Plus, there is some neighborhood/relocation hunting going on... ;)

I stopped at PS on the way out, also--the listening rooms aren't set up yet (they are just roughing them in now, and the electricians were there when I visited), but man, do they have the space to grow now!

Reactions: DC
Tickets for AXPONA go on sale Dec. 1. I'm bringing the tequila and the Canadian whisky. :D
Thanks for the heads-up, Wildcat. I've been checking the website for the past few weeks attempting to determine when tickets would be made available. During the past few years, I've been hemming and hawing, bullshitting, and outright procastinating when it comes to attending AXPONA. As soon as the purchase option is enabled on the website, I'm getting at least a one-day pass for the 2019 event in Schaumburg.

@KDAC I am in for all three days but then again, I live close enough to be able to do it (only about 4-5 hours driving time, and I arrive Thursday afternoon). It is such a large show now, and so spread out over a large convention center hotel, that it is a good idea to plot out your list of must-see rooms ahead of time. I was there for two full days and part of the third (I left between 2pm-3pm) and still missed out on many things. I tend to grab a quick lunch there, vs. killing an hour or two of valuable show time by leaving the premises.

Are you local or in a neighboring state?

Groovy, I'm on the prowl. However, I'm less concerned about the venue tickets than I am about the hotel. In spite of the convenient and courteous chauffeur @Wildcat , I'd like to see if I can get a room in the venue hotel if possible - it's just so much more convenient, logistically. (On the other hand, the one we stayed at last year was certainly close enough, except for the sleet, haha.)

I'm probably flying in again (I assume), so no bottles of hootch for me. I'll have to mooch. (See what I did there?) :D

Groovy, I'm on the prowl. However, I'm less concerned about the venue tickets than I am about the hotel. In spite of the convenient and courteous chauffeur @Wildcat , I'd like to see if I can get a room in the venue hotel if possible - it's just so much more convenient, logistically. (On the other hand, the one we stayed at last year was certainly close enough, except for the sleet, haha.)

I'm probably flying in again (I assume), so no bottles of hootch for me. I'll have to mooch. (See what I did there?) :D

EDIT: Ok, I just checked the website and apparently the show hotel is booked (OF COURSE!). Maybe I should book the Springhill Suites after all...

Last edited:

@DC, The Ren Schaumburg is already sold out, and prices were at least 2x what they want at the Springhill Suites. I figured I would grab rooms at the Springhill and at the Baymont Inn & Suites near RMAF now, as I can always cancel 48 hours ahead of the reservation and not lose anything. (The AAA rate at the Springhill gets me a room at a reduced rate without having to prepay. Membership has its privileges. :D )

The chauffeur service? No problem. If I need to pack extra booze, let me know. (Dry or sweet Vermouth for those Manhattans?) Perhaps I should stay at the Residence Inn next door and set up a Party Suite over there. :D

Aah, I got it. All booked: flights (usual flights - I fly the same ones every year!) and SpringHills Suites are all reserved. Now to wait for the tix to open up!

And a Manhattan is *always* made with sweet Vermouth. :D

My dad gave me the hardcore lessons in life--don't trust anyone else with your money, use an electric shaver, always clean your plate before getting dessert (Great Depression era thinking there), and a "perfect Manhattan" is always made with sweet Vermouth (a regular Manhattan uses dry). And don't forget the cherries. :D

Funny how the younger waitresses and bar maids would laugh when he said "perfect Manhattan." They didn't realize it was the actual name of the drink...and would say that their bartender made great Manhattans. Oy vey!

I'd like to go this year. To bad we couldn't figure out a way to id ourselves to other AK'ers.

I'd like to go this year. To bad we couldn't figure out a way to id ourselves to other AK'ers.
I've mentioned it a few times at AK but there has never been much communication about an actual meet-up. Even among us locals it's kind of hit or miss--I knew @DC was going but found that there were others from our local SMAC group at the same hotel. It's kind of hard since a lot of us have our own schedules and commitments.

I'll probably be wearing a Cardas Audio tee and/or hat on one of those days. Perhaps we need an AK hat for identification? :D

"Tickets for AXPONA go on sale Dec. 1. I'm bringing the tequila and the Canadian whisky. :D"

@KDAC I am in for all three days but then again, I live close enough to be able to do it (only about 4-5 hours driving time, and I arrive Thursday afternoon). It is such a large show now, and so spread out over a large convention center hotel, that it is a good idea to plot out your list of must-see rooms ahead of time. I was there for two full days and part of the third (I left between 2pm-3pm) and still missed out on many things. I tend to grab a quick lunch there, vs. killing an hour or two of valuable show time by leaving the premises.

Are you local or in a neighboring state?
Wildcat: :beerchug:

Three days. Done.

AXPONA1edit.jpg AXPONA2edit.jpg AXPONA3edit.jpg

I'll be registering shortly--I'm finding out if I'm getting an industry pass before doing so. Prices look similar to last year's, except the Gold Pass has gone up quite a bit (and IMHO not worth it for a one-hour "reception" and VIP room access).

upload_2018-12-1_13-18-12.png

@KDAC Where are you heading in from? (Or are you one of our SMAC regulars and I'm not connecting your AK username to the email...happens frequently with me, I'm afraid.)

I'll be registering shortly--I'm finding out if I'm getting an industry pass before doing so. Prices look similar to last year's, except the Gold Pass has gone up quite a bit (and IMHO not worth it for a one-hour "reception" and VIP room access).

View attachment 1344533

@KDAC Where are you heading in from? (Or are you one of our SMAC regulars and I'm not connecting your AK username to the email...happens frequently with me, I'm afraid.)
Chicago. So it's just a short jaunt up the I-294 tollway to I-290 en route to the Renaissance Convention Center/Hotel.

Back
Top Bottom