Mountains To Climb; One A Day

Mt. Kirkjufell, Iceland (in infrared)

kirjufell.jpeg
Been there..

The Wellsville range in N. Utah. I lived in Logan for several years which was located at their base. I was told they were not that high (8,000 feet) but they were one of the narrowest ranges in the country, only 5 miles wide at the widest point. There are also no foothills and they rise up from the valley floor like a great wall.

ar125139296453493.jpg

Thor Peak, in Auyuittuq National Park, on Baffin Island
This peak has the world's greatest vertical drop. The drop is 1250m high and angles inwards at 105 degrees making it even greater than vertical.

To put this height in context, the Eiffel Tower is 324m, the Empire State Building is 381m, the CN Tower is 553m, and the Burj Khalifa 828m.

So there.

thor-baffin.png

Geez, I hadn't been paying attention. I have had a lot of fun here, but I didn't know I was having that much fun.

Just something mystical and mysterious about the high ground. A place of solitude with a deadly back swing if one isn't used to this environment. Many have learned the hard way...myself included.

A great series of photo ops you've shared, Shom. :thumbsup:

Q

Quad and I digressed and for that we are apologetic. I apologize.

I used to have school type wall maps in my room as a Senior in college. I used to dream of getting away from the flats of Florida and go to some of the mountains on the map of Canada. That summer, some friend and I decided to take a trip to Alaska. I made it as far as Boulder, Colorado. Our intent was to make it to Alaska, but the drivers dog attacked a porcupine up in the heights above Boulder. He could not afford the surgery for the dog and we made a beeline to the Northeast. I was the acting doctor. They held him down and I pulled all the quills. There were quills that were inside that we could not get. So much for my great trip to Alaska. More pics please, if you have more.

Back
Top Bottom