High quality 2mm pin connectors for vintage gear

eliast

Hi everybody
I need your help with something

I'm trying to find 2mm pin connectors to connect some vintage gear I have...
I'm looking for something like this:
pin.jpg

I'm searching for really high quality stuff but I can't find anything..
There are some connectors at e-bay but I read terrible reviews (like that they're made of iron inside etc)... and besides that, most of them are really cheap so I'm not so sure about the quality.

Do you know some trustworthy high quality brand to suggest?
Thanks

PS: Ideally some brand that has distributors in Europe

Vampire Wire makes basic gold-plated copper pins that are going to be much better than those Nakamichi brand ones. Those are not made of copper, but brass. I have had the fake Nakamichi banana plugs and they were awful.

You can get Vampire pins on Ebay. They are not terribly expensive, but you will need to use some shrink tubing to insulate them as they do not have any insulation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vampire-Wi...=item53ef362620:g:wRIAAOxy7nNTQy4Q:rk:97:pf:0

Hirschmann mst3, if you do not mind simple solder type slim banana plugs instead of something "audiophile bling bling".

While not necessarily pretty, why not just tin the bare wire tips? No one can see the back side of the equipment anyhow.

Be careful with hard connectors. Vintage speaker binders are not that strong to begin with and add in aging to plastic can lead to breaks. Same care is needed for vintage RCA jacks. I would solder the tips of bare wire and be done.

I have some Atlas equator cables that are too thick!
(I want to connect a sansui 990 with a pair of pioneer hpm100s)
I don't want to make the wire thinner to make it fit...
I have also found these but I wanted something more solid...
https://www.in-akustik.de/en/cables...able/accessories/premium-flexible-pin-008155/
21TR%2BUDcAiL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

I have eight of these I’m not using. PM if interested.

Attachments

• AD2848C8-72C9-4752-92E4-937FFFBD854A.jpeg
    AD2848C8-72C9-4752-92E4-937FFFBD854A.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 7BDA2AC7-B2BD-44BC-BA2E-3BC4BD519CBD.jpeg
    7BDA2AC7-B2BD-44BC-BA2E-3BC4BD519CBD.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 24
What "high quality" vintage unit will these be used on?

I mean, you basically hit the nail on the head with the Nakamichi ones. Nakamichi made some pretty "high quality" stuff back in the vintage days.

What "high quality" vintage unit will these be used on?

I mean, you basically hit the nail on the head with the Nakamichi ones. Nakamichi made some pretty "high quality" stuff back in the vintage days.

I didn't say anything about high quality units, I just said I wanted high quality connectors. The setup consists of a sansui 990 receiver and a pair of pioneer hpm100 speakers.
I red some crazy stuff about Nakamichi... that they're made of iron and that there is a fake Nakamichi company etc... I don't really know what's going on..

I have some plain regular ones which were also probably made in China (like the Nakamichi) that do a remarkable job, and I probably couldn't tell the difference between those and some gold-plated ones, at least not on my Sansui AU-9500 (but it could be just me). Something like this, fairly priced. I think I paid $10 for a pack of 6.

8be7d78f3.jpg

A couple of posters suggested soldering the end strands (excellent suggestion).

Remember, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link and in this case the weakest link are the metal speaker terminals that these pins are inserted into on the back of the receiver. You could buy solid gold pins, the signal still has to pass through that speaker terminal on the back of the receiver. It's like buying a $1,000 cartridge for a $100 turntable. It's over-kill.
It couldn't hurt to try something like the Nakamichi. I bet you won't even tell the difference.

:)

I have some plain regular ones which were also probably made in China (like the Nakamichi) that do a remarkable job, and I probably couldn't tell the difference between those and some gold-plated ones, at least not on my Sansui AU-9500 (but it could be just me). Something like this, fairly priced. I think I paid $10 for a pack of 6.

8be7d78f3.jpg

A couple of posters suggested soldering the end strands (excellent suggestion).

Remember, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link and in this case the weakest link are the metal speaker terminals that these pins are inserted into on the back of the receiver. You could buy solid gold pins, the signal still has to pass through that speaker terminal on the back of the receiver. It's like buying a $1,000 cartridge for a $100 turntable. It's over-kill.
It couldn't hurt to try something like the Nakamichi. I bet you won't even tell the difference.

:)
To me, yours look to be a better solution than uninsulated ones.

Remember, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link and in this case the weakest link are the metal speaker terminals that these pins are inserted into on the back of the receiver. You could buy solid gold pins, the signal still has to pass through that speaker terminal on the back of the receiver.

I haven't thought of that... you're absolutely right...
What do you do in this case? Can the receiver's phono terminals be replaced with new ones?

Can the receiver's phono terminals be replaced with new ones?
Phono terminals, or speaker terminals?

In both cases, the answer is yes, thought it may require more or less surgery on the amplifier in question.

Will it make a genuinely audible difference?

Probably not, at least no more than cleaning the terminals you've got, if they're dirty or oxidised.

Phono terminals, or speaker terminals?

In both cases, the answer is yes, thought it may require more or less surgery on the amplifier in question.

Will it make a genuinely audible difference?

Probably not, at least no more than cleaning the terminals you've got, if they're dirty or oxidised.

My phono terminals are in great shape, the speaker no so much...
The whole idea with the connectors and now the terminals (in both receiver and speakers) came from my idea to upgrade the cables... I'm thinking of getting the Atlas hyper:
https://www.atlascables.com/sp-hyper-3_5.html and I was thinking since these are a bit expensive, maybe I should also upgrade the connectors, terminals etc
I'm not really experienced thought.. I just thought it made sense...

Wire with a tinned end is the best solution. If the speaker terminals are close together (as they are with most vintage gear) there’s a real danger of metal cable ends coming into contact with each other, which will cause real damage to the amplifier.

Wire with a tinned end is the best solution. If the speaker terminals are close together (as they are with most vintage gear) there’s a real danger of metal cable ends coming into contact with each other, which will cause real damage to the amplifier.

Yes I could try that, the best part is it will cost nothing!

How long is your speaker cable run? There is ZERO reason for anything more than 14G wire for 99% of home vintage stereo equipment. If your runs are 48 ft or less even high quality 16G wire is just fine.

The less between your terminal and cable the better......stick the wire in the terminal.

Back
Top Bottom