Why dose Deezer play louder than Tidal ?

audiobliss

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have been trying out both and ABing the two sound quality over my bluetooth setup.
They sound pretty much the same except that Tidals volume is lower .
So far I am leaning towards Deezer.

The usual answer in broadcasting is upward compression to get a louder average result, but with less dynamic range.

I've found the same with Deezer (elite/HiFi version) - very loud. I thought maybe it had something to do with it being the lossless/FLAC deal but maybe not - upward compression? yikes

Certain stations via Tunein are much louder than others too - BBC radio 6 and The Current are way louder than KEXP for instance.

When I had both Tidal and Deezer (gave up Tidal and kept Deezer), played through Sonos or Bluesound, I didn't find this. Are you playing through the apps, through a browser, or ...?

Never tried Deezer but I do get irritated with Tidal as some songs play lower or Higher in volume a lot of times.

Never tried Deezer but I do get irritated with Tidal as some songs play lower or Higher in volume a lot of times.
That is normal for any digital source without volume leveling. Some streaming has this (Spotify I heard) and some don't. Since I play a lot randomly, without volume leveling I'm always chasing the volume up and down

Tidal may also have volume leveling but is just switched off somewhere in the settings.

Back
Top Bottom