No audio on Direct TV

sberger

Hard Core Geezer
Subscriber
I'm house sitting and the owners have a surround system with Direct TV and Roku. Yesterday I used the remote to switch from Direct TV to Roku to watch a 4K movie. When I did that the screen went black, then came back, then everything seemed fine. Except when I switched back to Direct TV, there was no audio. This is all done with a universal remote. I've checked the connections on the AV amp and all seems fine. I've unplugged the whole system and then plugged it back in but still no sound on Direct TV. I do get audio on Roku. I will also add that previous to this I was getting audio dropouts while watching TV, something that the owner was experiencing also, but the audio would always come back.

Any thoughts one what might going on here?

No. This is on the television. A Roku box and Direct TV box .

A little more info. When I disconnect the HDMI out cable that connects to the HDMI in of the television, I get audio, but no picture. Tried using a different output on the amplifier but that didn't resolve it.

Aww crap I reread ... someone else's system and a universal remote. Something could have gotten out of sync??

If you have the TV remote?? Forget the "system" and just try playing the audio directly from the TV, using either Box. You might need to check the audio options under the TV because the TV speakers may have been turned off??

I have had that audio drop out deal happen on occasion, but a restart or in and out usually solves it.

When I disconnect the HDMI out cable that connects to the HDMI in of the television, I get audio, but no picture.
.I'm curious. How do you have these things connected?

Audio is fed through the HDMI cable. If you disconnect that, you should lose both audio and video.

Unplugged everything and still no volume with tv broadcast. Tried the tv remote, and no go. It's an LG so when I increased the volume there was a voice announcing the steps in volume but nothing from the actual show. And again when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the tv I can get audio but no picture.

Unplugged everything and still no volume with tv broadcast. Tried the tv remote, and no go. It's an LG so when I increased the volume there was a voice announcing the steps in volume but nothing from the actual show. And again when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the tv I can get audio but no picture.
Ok, that makes no sense?? HDMI passes both audio and video??

Is there a Blu Ray/DVD player in the system?? Those are usually pretty straight forward, try that out and see what happens??

.I'm curious. How do you have these things connected?

Audio is fed through the HDMI cable. If you disconnect that, you should lose both audio and video.

Best I can tell 3 HDMI cables connected to amp(DTV, Roku and Blu Ray) then looks like one HDMI out from amp that goes to tv. I think there may be a splitter box but might be installed in the wall because I cant get to it. In any case the owner has contacted the installer and he's coming out tomorrow to fix.Once I know what happened I'll report back.

Ok, that makes no sense?? HDMI passes both audio and video??

Is there a Blu Ray/DVD player in the system?? Those are usually pretty straight forward, try that out and see what happens??

Yes there is, and I havent tried it but again Roku works fine so Im assuming Blu Ray does too.

Yes there is, and I havent tried it but again Roku works fine so Im assuming Blu Ray does too.
Ok wait , if you have audio and video on the Roku, then it's not the TV or is it?? You could try and swap the Roku and DTV HDMI, inputs on the TV and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom