TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Me too. I am finally after a week getting some good listening in and what an amazing system this is. I dont see tge point of spending more money to get better sound. I just M83 Before the Dawn Heals Us. The BEST I have ever heard it!

Youre quite right,such fun.Yesterday i connected my TT[Audionote] up to this combo and tonight im reaping the sonic delights.:)
Ill have to get my torch and magnifying glass to identify tubes,may take some time,but will fulfill the mission.
How much would a sound like this cost when i was just a lad i ask myself compared to todays prices.
Until the Chinese revolt of course......:rolleyes:

Steve Guttenberg, The Audiophiliac just had a YouTube vlog on when was the Golden Era of audio. I replied a resounding NOW! The audio in my room would have cost me thousands of dollars 20 years ago and I could have never afforded it. Internet direct has changed our hobby and so many other things forever!

Me too. I am finally after a week getting some good listening in and what an amazing system this is. I dont see tge point of spending more money to get better sound. I just M83 Before the Dawn Heals Us. The BEST I have ever heard it!

You got the Volt+D! I knew you already had the Volt+. Glad you're liking it!

And Before the Dawn Heals Us is a great album!

Substituted this for the FX's wall wart and the heavens just parted. :banana:

51l5gj-0BkL._SX466_.jpg

@Poultrygeist - What’s the barrel size for the 6j1 pre power connector? I think 5.5mm x 2.1 is too big for my 6j1 pre. I’m trying to figure it out so I can replicate what you’re doing with the Pyramid PSU.

Continuing our general TPA discussion, has anyone tried this amp:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-T...r-amplifier-Bluetooth-AMP-300W-2/143023047407

TPA3255, rated for more power, has bluetooth but I'd want to use line in for better sound quality.

Or is there another cheap TPA3255 that people have been looking at?

Interesting, if you get one I'd love to hear about it in detail.
I have a 3255 amp made from the TI EVM board so I'm not in the market, but I know people who are looking for non-DIY 2.0 versions having heard it. I would be more comfortable recommending it if a willing and knowledgeable lab rat volunteer were to show up. :)

I think some really good commercial versions are bound to turn up in time, the chip itself is quite capable of audiophile level performance. Not only does the chip practically refuse to distort before your ears start bleeding, even if you drive it to clipping it detects that and refuses to output the clipping signal, protecting your speakers.

One thing I have found is that if you crossover at say 100Hz to an externally amplified (or active) sub, it reduces the amount of heat the 3255 produces by a lot and would make up for the small-looking heatsink and moderate amount of capacitance on that board. Not that it produces a lot of heat, but it does throw out some at louder volumes. I'd be drilling strategic holes in that case I suspect if it became a problem.

If you get one I would also suggest a 48V supply, the 30V low end they list is too low imo. It's going to have a lot of power in reserve for most domestic applications, which means the chip is just coasting rather than straining at the edge of its performance envelope for good sound quality.

Overall, just between you and me, the 325x, being a next generation chip, is objectively a distinct improvement on 311x in every area but cost and maybe heat generation and power supply needs. But for that price, doubled for an appropriate power supply, as long as it has no disastrous design faults, it looks a bargain to me.

Interesting, if you get one I'd love to hear about it in detail.
I have a 3255 amp made from the TI EVM board so I'm not in the market, but I know people who are looking for non-DIY 2.0 versions having heard it. I would be more comfortable recommending it if a willing and knowledgeable lab rat volunteer were to show up. :)

I think some really good commercial versions are bound to turn up in time, the chip itself is quite capable of audiophile level performance. Not only does the chip practically refuse to distort before your ears start bleeding, even if you drive it to clipping it detects that and refuses to output the clipping signal, protecting your speakers.

One thing I have found is that if you crossover at say 100Hz to an externally amplified (or active) sub, it reduces the amount of heat the 3255 produces by a lot and would make up for the small-looking heatsink and moderate amount of capacitance on that board. Not that it produces a lot of heat, but it does throw out some at louder volumes. I'd be drilling strategic holes in that case I suspect if it became a problem.

If you get one I would also suggest a 48V supply, the 30V low end they list is too low imo. It's going to have a lot of power in reserve for most domestic applications, which means the chip is just coasting rather than straining at the edge of its performance envelope for good sound quality.

Overall, just between you and me, the 325x, being a next generation chip, is objectively a distinct improvement on 311x in every area but cost and maybe heat generation and power supply needs. But for that price, doubled for an appropriate power supply, as long as it has no disastrous design faults, it looks a bargain to me.

Well put, and on the whole, I agree.

I'm currently running my TPA 3251EV module off a 400VA toroidal via a power/rectifier board with 28000uf capacitance of smoothing goodness.
Probably have $200+ in it and that's not including the fact that I got the the board for half price, the tranny at a discount, and already had a serviceable box for it.
Imo, totally worth it......even at $300+.

If I weren't already knee deep in multiple preamp boards at this point, I'd def spring for that $60 box just to try it.

Some of the cheaper available switching power supply options for a TPA 3255 based amp:

In my opinion, slightly anemic, but should work just fine, and I like the heat sink. Basically a Meanwell type unit without the top.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/350W-Switching-Power-Supply-48V-6-5A-12V-2A-Dual-output-for-Power-Amplifier/112595449197?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=92fd5e5bea1f4c5f860647f45161a43a&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=11&mehot=pp&sd=263341969257&itm=112595449197&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

A few more amps on tap. They come in various voltages. You have to specify. The 45V version looks the ticket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-500W-amplifier-switching-power-supply-board-dual-voltage-PSU-30V-70V/111985889668?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=1187672b276b4436919b3cd761cc1f1f&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=112595449197&itm=111985889668&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You'll of course have to box either of these should you choose to use them permanently.

Last edited:
I have a TPA3250 and really like it, actually two of them :) I do like my TPA3116 amps too, but need a bit more oomph with lower efficiency speakers like ELAC and KEF. I think the FX502SPro can push them pretty well.

I'm curious about this TPA3255, has anyone played one vs the 3250? I would rather buy a pre-built amp, power supply too, so I'll probably keep looking for things like this. Not sure about how to power it yet.

Well put, and on the whole, I agree.

I'm currently running my TPA 3251EV module off a 400VA toroidal via a power/rectifier board with 28000uf capacitance of smoothing goodness.
Probably have $200+ in it and that's not including the fact that I got the the board for half price, the tranny at a discount, and already had a serviceable box for it.
Imo, totally worth it......even at $300+.

If I weren't already knee deep in multiple preamp boards at this point, I'd def spring for that $60 box just to try it.

Some of the cheaper available switching power supply options for a TPA 3255 based amp:

In my opinion, slightly anemic, but should work just fine, and I like the heat sink. Basically a Meanwell type unit without the top.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/350W-Switching-Power-Supply-48V-6-5A-12V-2A-Dual-output-for-Power-Amplifier/112595449197?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=92fd5e5bea1f4c5f860647f45161a43a&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=11&mehot=pp&sd=263341969257&itm=112595449197&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

A few more amps on tap. They come in various voltages. You have to specify. The 45V version looks the ticket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-500W-amplifier-switching-power-supply-board-dual-voltage-PSU-30V-70V/111985889668?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=1187672b276b4436919b3cd761cc1f1f&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=112595449197&itm=111985889668&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You'll of course have to box either of these should you choose to use them permanently.

For a budget package with minimal DIY, a Meanwell (or equivalent reputable brand) 48V SMPS from 350W upwards in its own box would be fine I think, maybe go for bigger current in the direction of 12A/600W only if you have 4 ohm speakers and like your music very loud indeed, perhaps you have a big room to fill. You'd need a thick power cable and connector too, but that's only a few $ extra and easy to DIY.

I was lucky to get the 3255 EVM in the half price offer, so I paid about US$200 in parts including an unboxed SMPS similar to what you listed. Partly I feel fortunate to get such a refined power amp for such little money (relative to what I could buy in a shop), and partly I feel very smug for spotting the chance. However, it seems possible there will be very good amps appearing from China with similar performance to mine going for much less money than I paid, and I may have to re-calibrate my smugness. Reluctantly. But in theory it's good that amps are getting cheaper and better at the same time. I think it's hard to appreciate just how good these chips are without hearing them.

I ordered the TPA3255 amp, $54 shipped from AliExpress. I'm excited to try it and compare to my other TPA-based amps.

I ordered a 48V 3A switching PS. It looks similar to the 12V & 19V I use for the single and dual TPA3116 and the 24V I use for the TPA3250. So I'll be testing them all with similar, relatively low quality PSes.

I was lucky to get the 3255 EVM in the half price offer, so I paid about US$200 in parts including an unboxed SMPS similar to what you listed. Partly I feel fortunate to get such a refined power amp for such little money (relative to what I could buy in a shop), and partly I feel very smug for spotting the chance. However, it seems possible there will be very good amps appearing from China with similar performance to mine going for much less money than I paid, and I may have to re-calibrate my smugness. Reluctantly. But in theory it's good that amps are getting cheaper and better at the same time. I think it's hard to appreciate just how good these chips are without hearing them.

Again, well put.
But as far as I know, there is nothing available, so far, which exceeds the specs of the TI EVM's re the TPA 32xx family.
Knowing what I know now, I'd have no qualms about paying full price for any single one of those boards [I own all three]. Totally worth it.

But yeah, it's frustrating that the cheaper implementations are either flawed [the FX PRO 3250] or that folks resist putting a few more dollars into a sufficient power supply for the other Chinese boards...as if it doesn't matter. Because, yes, it does absolutely make a difference.

I ordered the TPA3255 amp, $54 shipped from AliExpress. I'm excited to try it and compare to my other TPA-based amps.

I ordered a 48V 3A switching PS. It looks similar to the 12V & 19V I use for the single and dual TPA3116 and the 24V I use for the TPA3250. So I'll be testing them all with similar, relatively low quality PSes.

A gambling man.
I'll be very interested to hear how it goes.

Though using the back of an envelope, your PSU choice might limit the 3255 chip unfairly if you want to make comparisons. You can at best expect about 70W per channel (total power = 50v x 3A = 150W, shared by 2 channels, neglecting losses) when the chip is nominally capable of 300Wpc. This difference might result in stress on your power supply if the amp tries to suck power too hard too many times, which you may want to look out for. For all I know it could work out great, or it may be like trying to feed your dog exclusively on vegetable soup.

But if your power supply does expire, and if the amp still seems worth using, you could always replace it with something north of 6A which would allow you to get a better idea of its true range and power, and be more likely to make a good job of driving awkward speakers. I'm all for experimentation though. Best of luck with it, I hope its a good one.

Again, well put.
But as far as I know, there is nothing available, so far, which exceeds the specs of the TI EVM's re the TPA 32xx family.
Knowing what I know now, I'd have no qualms about paying full price for any single one of those boards [I own all three]. Totally worth it.

But yeah, it's frustrating that the cheaper implementations are either flawed [the FX PRO 3250] or that folks resist putting a few more dollars into a sufficient power supply for the other Chinese boards...as if it doesn't matter. Because, yes, it does absolutely make a difference.
Yep.
The EVM board is fully documented though. Following that model (as I think 3e audio did for their boards), and paying some attention to good amp design (eg a mute switch, adequate cooling, appropriate SMPS, grounding etc), it seems like manufactured 325x amps could make serious money if they were only 90% as good as the EVMs. But the super low cost boards don't suit anyone, I think. A simple, solid implementation of 3255 or 3251 in a basic case at $150 a go seems like it would be wildly successful to me. I should buy a factory.

Back
Top Bottom