Record cleaning video, guy shows us the way.

I like how he pulls something from the stylus after playing a "cleaned" record (at the 5:00 minute mark).

Nice!

7 min vid to demostrate a spray and wipe. The record title alone was enough to turn down the volume.
Carry on.

I think he has a good point. Long term effects may not be good but worth a try on some really dirty records. As for the dust he did say it may take several “cleanings” .
It reminds me a product back in the 70’s that the “Ball” company made for records that was a lubricant and a protector. It was not suppose to build up on itself. Ball (yes the jar manufacturers”) was also a aerospace manufacturer.

I thought he was a bit rough with the cueing of the tonearm on the first go around.

This video made me think of the professionalism and how it differs from one person to another. Here we have vacuum RCM and ultra sonics with chemist giving us the correct formulas to be as effective and protective as one can be while this video shows how others are much less serous about their technic.

I thought he was a bit rough with the cueing of the tonearm on the first go around.

This video made me think of the professionalism and how it differs from one person to another. Here we have vacuum RCM and ultra sonics with chemist giving us the correct formulas to be as effective and protective as one can be while this video shows how others are much less serous about their technic.
We do find everyone on this site at every level

...It reminds me a product back in the 70’s that the “Ball” company made for records that was a lubricant and a protector. It was not suppose to build up on itself. Ball (yes the jar manufacturers”) was also a aerospace manufacturer.

There is only a little comparison between the work at the Ball Brothers and by this hacker. Robert Pardee, a Ball engineer, was an incredible audiophile and one of the few people to take a scientific look at record treatments and stylus friction, for example: http://www.audiomods.co.uk/papers/pardee_recordfriction.PDF
He developed a solution that used PTFE to "teflon" coat records (=Sound Guard). The active ingredient in RainX, polydimethylsiloxane ("PDMS", a silicone oil), is the same used in another product, Groovelube. Neither goes on my records, but in one case there was a little research done on application to vinyl records. I'm pretty sure this video guy never read any of Pardee's papers, but you never know, he isn't that far off and he brings up the interesting topic of record coatings or "lubricants".
EDIT: The guy mentions the coating "repels moisture". This is true as PDMS, and PTFE for that matter, are hydrophobic coatings (the combination of the two results in "superhydrophobic" coatings in fact). It may seem counterintuitive, but modern research has shown it is more advantageous to attract water molecules to the record surface while maintaining a hydrophobic lubricant layer (how anti-static surfactants work, as found in products like Gruv Glide developed by Irwin Rowe).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom