Australia just got its first 2 F-35A Joint Strike Fighters

I work across the street from an AFB. They started flying these things here this year. They are loud as hell.

True, they're all loud. Was watching the Blue Angels, certainly a loud jet. Then an F-22 flew over. Holy crap, I felt the noise in my chest. I suspect the F-35 will have the same effect.

I was driving home from work back in Palmdale during an airshow, and a couple of F-18s did a low flyby of the airport right over the top of me on the freeway. My whole car shook. :rockon:

F-18s do touch-n-goes here frequently, usually a pair of them. Afterburner on take off and they are incredibly loud. Pretty cool.

Murray

F-18s do touch-n-goes here frequently, usually a pair of them. Afterburner on take off and they are incredibly loud. Pretty cool.

Murray

When I worked out at the Mojave airport, they came in and had lunch at the airport cafe a few times. A squadron of 3 or 4 from VX-9 squadron out of China Lake. It was always cool to see a bunch of military hardware parked only 30ft outside the window. :D

I am afraid that the production of our newer fighters is similar to the German tank production during the second half of WWII. Their tanks were great except that they were technically complex and slow to build. The Russians and Americans produced the T-34 and the Sherman tanks. Both were simply designed and produced numerically faster than the Germans. In the case of WWII, numbers and speed won the day. The Tiger and Super Tiger tanks were amazing, but the Germans could not produce enough of them. I fear that this same type of thing may effect the US if we get get into a big shooting war.

You guys should have taken over our F-14D fleet when we retired them a few years ago. It's a much better F-111 that can actually pull a high G turn. The F-14D was Ideal for long range maritime patrol. Not sure how the F-35 fits your geography. The 35 needs drop tanks for acceptable range but that would compromise stealth. Internal bay is limited and can't carry stores like the 14 can.

I am afraid that the production of our newer fighters is similar to the German tank production during the second half of WWII. Their tanks were great except that they were technically complex and slow to build. The Russians and Americans produced the T-34 and the Sherman tanks. Both were simply designed and produced numerically faster than the Germans. In the case of WWII, numbers and speed won the day. The Tiger and Super Tiger tanks were amazing, but the Germans could not produce enough of them. I fear that this same type of thing may effect the US if we get get into a big shooting war.

Eeeh we've still got plenty of 15s and 18s to get the job done. ;)

Plenty of spares in AZ
maxresdefault.jpg

Besides, I don't think you realize just how large the US AF actually is. But if you combined the USAF and the Japanese SD AF. They would out number all remaining air forces in the world combined.

You guys should have taken over our F-14D fleet when we retired them a few years ago. It's a much better F-111 that can actually pull a high G turn. The F-14D was Ideal for long range maritime patrol. Not sure how the F-35 fits your geography. The 35 needs drop tanks for acceptable range but that would compromise stealth. Internal bay is limited and can't carry stores like the 14 can.
Yeah, not much within range of here to 'Joint Strike ' , but range was already dismissed as important when we went from F 111 to F 18.

We've got the Abrams tanks as well but we never send our tanks anywhere.

It's all about 'inter operability ' so our personnel can use the same gear elsewhere or blend in if we send a few planes.

It's been a long time coming, but the first two of an initial order of 72 have arrived. (AU$17 billion total (planes maintenance for their life) they reckon for them all)

I hope you folks get your planned fleet allocated, built and delivered sooner rather than later. Your air force, along with the JDF fleet, may end up being the bloody end of the first spear engaging China if it comes to that.

I hope you folks get your planned fleet allocated, built and delivered sooner rather than later. Your air force, along with the JDF fleet, may end up being the bloody end of the first spear engaging China if it comes to that.

The Chinese, while nominally communist are interested in making money and building their economy. We know that which gives us license to push them around. The only reason they are building their armed forces is to save face on the world stage. To suggest anything greater than this is irresponsible and frightening.

Back
Top Bottom