reccomend a whiskey based on this criteria

Still not certain iffen yer talking' whiskey/rye/scotch or all three?

I will elaborate on a Canadian brand that's caught my fancy, "Forty Creek". To my way of thinking it gives "Crown Royal" a run for its money, which is the "RR" of the rye whiskies/whiskeys in the north country.

There are basically four offerings by this company that comes outta Ontario. At the bottom is the only one I've tasted to date, the "Select", which is in itself has a mellow flavour, which is on par with the above mentioned, "CR". A notch up is "The Double Barrel" which speaks for itself being aged longer and being double barrelled. At the top of the alcohol totem pole "The Confederation Oak Reserve" name's after where in the plant is located, surrounded by some old Oak trees of a hundred or more years...thus the word "Confederation" (1867).

There is another product of "N40" I intend next to try... "The Copper Pot" which is higher alcohol than the 40% one usually finds in Canadian spirits It is meant for only for sipping. Of course the others would merit this distinction as well, but it's highlighted as such.

I think once this product catches on, which it has in Canada, it will be a drink to be sought after in other regions. I just hope the quality remains as it seems to be right now. Take in their site, as it better does a job of explaining what I have brought to share.

I am in no way connected with this company. Just a satisfied customer.

Q

Last edited:

IMHO, I'd have to take a pass on chucking it out onto the carpet,... :no:

Guy with the medallion knows his stuff,...

Last edited:
View attachment 1389589
Hey brother, check the VA ABC stores website, you can search for availability for the stores near you... I have been finding a few bottles here and there on various military bases. If it continues to be hard to come by, I will have to switch brands unfortunately:(

Just now spied the Eagle Rare on 2nd shelf. That came highly recommended at the DC store.

EDIT: I am finding out earlier on that it's all about pricepoint and those willing to assist you in finding the best tasting spirits at the best price.

Just now spied the Eagle Rare on 2nd shelf. That came highly recommended at the DC store.

EDIT: I am finding out earlier on that it's all about pricepoint and those willing to assist you in finding the best tasting spirits at the best price.

The Elmer T Lee is also a prize....again though, you would have better luck catching Bigfoot in a foot snare then finding it! :(

View attachment 1389589

Hey brother, check the VA ABC stores website, you can search for availability for the stores near you... I have been finding a few bottles here and there on various military bases. If it continues to be hard to come by, I will have to switch brands unfortunately:(

@swamppirate

You got some high dollar stuff. That 750 of Blanton's was approaching 70 smackers and I see you got a spare in there for backup duties. Noted the doubles on the Buffalo Trace choices as well.

I think you're approaching 'connoisseur' status. LOL ;)

Above video mentions a 1/3 water to open the whiskey up for potential smell and flavor enhancement. How does one get the ratios right without killing off the spirit?

@swamppirate

You got some high dollar stuff. That 750 of Blanton's was approaching 70 smackers and I see you got a spare in there for backup duties. Noted the doubles on the Buffalo Trace choices as well.

I think you're approaching 'connoisseur' status. LOL ;)

I have been at it a while! Bourbon is my go to. Scotch is a whole different animal...if you have not tried it, don’t! A whole different game!

In my opinion, make your search consist of Buffalo, Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Four Roses, and Weller and you WON’T go wrong :)

Above video mentions a 1/3 water to open the whiskey up for potential smell and flavor enhancement. How does one get the ratios right without killing off the spirit?

Personally, I only use a splash of water on higher proof bourbons/scotches. Or if a bourbon has a high rye content mash bill. It will displace some of the heat/sting. That is my preference....

The Elmer T Lee is also a prize....again though, you would have better luck catching Bigfoot in a foot snare then finding it! :(
That's the one that has eluded me all the while...
I mean in addition to the Pappy,but that's to be expected with that stuff these days.

That said we have similar tastes in Bourbons. :thumbsup:

Bret P.

I kinda like the guy with the big medallion around his neck. Dude seems to know his stuff and flavor-complexity descriptions are quite good. @swamppirate you're right on with your recommendations,...

I was a bourbon drinker for 35 years until my 1st shot of this and I absolutely HATE vodka ,now this is all I keep stocked in the house .

https://goo.gl/images/P2T1mL

All the crap wine tasters talk about a fruity or nutty aroma I thought was full of shit until I took my 1st shot of 20 grand ,not even a hint of vodka taste ,it's got the smooth bourbon burn at 1st and becomes an almond vanilla taste in your mouth ,the only way to drink it is neat ,I can get out of hand very quickly because it goes down so damn smooth ,before I know it I'm hammered .

Back
Top Bottom