What was the last movie you watched?

I’m sure you read the book.

What did Yosarrian say to you?

Nothing.

What was it he didn’t say?

Everything.

When didn’t he say it?

Always.

Heck yes: Heller was (still) 'standard procedure' re: American lit in the America of the 60s and 70s. Probably no longer, eh?

raiders_lost_ark_1981_90-h_2016.jpg

Raiders of The Lost Ark

I could watch this movie every day.

I’m sure you read the book.

What did Yosarrian say to you?

Nothing.

What was it he didn’t say?

Everything.

When didn’t he say it?

Always.
Unfortunately, the movie omits those great interrogation scenes from the novel, among other unforgivable crimes!

Magellan (2017) Caught this low budget, but solid Sci-Fi movie on Amazon Prime.

Signals are detected from multiple locations in our Solar System, lone Astronaut is sent to find the source.

Very much influenced by 2001 (and I Dream of Jeannie), the low budget shows in some of the thread bare sets and minimal cast, but the story is compelling.

Alive (1993) (Touchtone/Paramount Pictures 27113), 30th Anniversary Edition, dvd, upc 786936190267

I waited 25 years to watch this one and honestly it was good and accurate, but it dragged. It dragged a lot, actually. Worth watching once though.

... and ...?

I enjoyed it more "today" than I did @ "the movies" circa '94. The main work has stood (well) the test of time and, in the "slightly expanded" version I watched, Smith & Co. have an added "lost scene", presented entirely in color animation, of Dante and Randal's "visit" to the wake of character "Julie Dwyer" who, at her early 20s, died of an embolism while swimming laps @ a pool. The "story" told by this film is such a perfect "slice" of a day in the life of America, circa mid 1990s, the 70s & 80s, and the 2000s. If a European were to ask me "what's America like?", I might point to this film and tell 'em to watch it.

nb: The presence of the color-animated "lost scene" is all the more jarring because, as you might recall, the film itself is shot in a grainy B&W.

Last edited:
^^^ P.P.S. I'll be interested in (re)watching Slacker (Linklater, 1991) for comparison. Possibly also (again, Linklater's) Dazed And Confused (1993).

The Cheat (1931)

Pre-Code film about a Woman (Tallulah Bankhead Dahling!) who finds herself in desperate need of 10,000 (depression era) dollars to pay off a gambling debt.
Things go from bad to worse and she agrees to trade "favors' for cash. Plot twists include a gun and a branding iron.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom