Best CONCERT ever seen.

In the `70s, we frequented The Vermont Jazz Festival several times, that was always a great experience. Held at Killington Ski Resort, we were camped out on the hill about 50 yards up from the stage. Two friends and I stood within arm`s length of the stage watching Ray Charles and The Raylettes putting on a blistering performance, as we got hammered on a bottle of Montelobos Mezcal. Took a ride up & down the mountain on the lift chairs while smoking a cone-shaped joint given to us by a friendly French-Canadian couple, Herbie Hancock and his woman were in the chair behind ours.
Even though it was July, the temps dropped into the low 50s at night, even the 40s on occasion. One component of my backpack was a very lightweight down jacket....that jacket never got a chance to cool off, somebody was always asking to borrow it :)

Hard to say. Neil Young and Crazy Horse at Walnut creek Raleigh on the broken arrow tour. Best out and out rock show I think. Of course every time I saw Pink Floyd or Jethro Tull. And a lot of Grateful Dead. You know..real music.

Peter Gabriel (Us or So tour), Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughan double bill, Mr. Bungle "California" tour (whoa!),

Keith Jarrett with Jack DeJohnette and Charlie Haden,

Talking Heads (1980? )
I saw Greg Allman open for Stevie Ray Vaughan in about 1988...Starlight Theater KCMO.

Both shows were awesome. Greg was on an upright piano during his entire show. Somehow he managed to chain smoke cigarettes while playing and singing.

I can't nail down an ever :confused: but recent has to be L.O.G. at the Norva. Pretty much anything there is great as long as the Band and sound people are up for it. And as I type this A.I.C was freaking awesome there :rockon::rockon:

One memorable concert I went to was when I took two friends from work to their first jazz show. It was Jimmy Heath at Condon's, an old jazz club here in NYC and when we walked in, we were told we could have any seat in the house. We took a table close to the stage and when the band came out the guitarist, I think it was Tony Purrone, asked if he could set his drink on our table. My friend George gave me a look of disbelief, amazed that we could sit that close to world class musicians for $20. We went to many more concerts together, jazz and otherwise including the Modern Jazz Quartet, McCoy Tyner, etc. But the look on his face was priceless and I helped open a window onto another whole world of music to my friend, who enjoyed it until he passed away.

slow_jazz said:
I would have to say Barbara Streisand concert. Her first one in years....
I would say the ones I liked I have seen are

1) WOODSTOCK 69 - Best concert of all time (1969)

2) U2 - Live at red rocks (1983)

3) Phil Collins - Seriously Live (1990)

4) Woodstock 94 (Not as good as 69 but still good) - 1994

Way too many to pick "The Best" but a few contenders:

Howlin' Wolf w/ Hubert Sumlin in 1966 or 1967 (kinda forgotten which)
Black Sabbath and Humble Pie in 1971
Black Sabbath in 1972
Grateful Dead in 1972
Rolling Stones in 1973 ('72 Tour was better but the band were more "on" in '73 @ Chicago)
The Who in 1973
Tangerine Dream in 1974 or 1975
AC/DC in 1978
The Ramones in 1979
The Misfits in 1980
Metallica in 1989 (this one could be The Winner?)
Neil Young & CH in 1991
Neil Young & CH in 1996
The White Stripes in 2001
Richard Thompson in Every Time I've Seen Him Since the Mid-1980s - 2014

I ain't even gonna bother listing LZ, which I've seen multiple times and who were a disappointment on multiple ocassions.

Last edited:
Richard Thompson in Every Time I've Seen Him Since the Mid-1980s - 2014

I see what you did there, Mystic. Never less than awesome everytime I saw him dating back to 1982.

EF0CD2F6-AE02-4CC1-8AA4-8284586AE14B.jpeg Eric Clapton
Opening act:
Ronnie Lane & Slim Chance
Missed the last train to Hanau ran into Eric and the band at the train station the next day great bunch of folks!
Heard the song Cocaine for the 1st time over the PA between acts by The late great JJCale
Ironic given pre concert rituals:beerchug::banana:

the best concerts were when mind altering substances were being applied, the better the substance the better the concert.
1st- Humble Pie 1974 Bakersfield Calif, Lead singer never stopped signing from start to finish, warm up band Foghat
2nd- Kenny Rodgers and the 1st Addition , NC State Fair 1972, half way through concert I found my mind in a brown paper bag and followed it in, tripped on a cloud 8 miles high.

3- j. Geils band ( ?)1975 Vintage Bakersfield.. Steven Stills was the headline performer but after Geils finished , Still's was to civilized for the whipped up crowd. Stills walked off the stage in a barrage of wiskey bottles thrown his way...That was the best part of the show..I am not sure if my bottle hit him, he was moving pretty fast
4th - 8th Jehtro Tull,
Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, ,
Before I die would like to see Joe Bonamassa

I’ve seen Garth Brooks in Columbus and Incubus and Dead and Co at Riverbend in Cincy. Really tough picking a best out of the 3. Just got some Santana/Doobie tickets for the show this August. Hoping that will be killer. John Mayer really impressed me with the Dead.

1) Rush - Power Windows
2) Rush - Hold Your Fire
3) Rush - Roll The Bones
4) Rush - Presto
5) Iron Maiden - Powerslave
6) Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
7) Dokken - Back For The Attack
8) Yngwie Malmsten - Marching Out
9) Judas Priest - Turbo
10) Boston - Third Stage
11) The Fixx - Calm Animals

I think the worst for me was actually Def Leppard - Hysteria.

Doobie Brothers circa 1979/80. Pacific Coliseum Vancouver BC. Ten of us went together and it was a killer show.

Rush 1977 - Maple Leaf Gardens plus least 10 other occasions
Return to Forever 1983 - Convocation Hall
Supertramp - I think 1979
Yes - Many times with many different lineups including ABWH

Other great shows worth mentioning. Kansas at MSG 1975 they were so good that I actually felt sorry for Bad Co who had to follow.

Climax Blues Band - Gold plated tour at the Paladium...incredible how tight that band was...Peter Haycock was so good in the era.

Fleetwood Mac rhainnon tour...one of the best sounding concerts I ever heard.

Elton John at Central Park FREE 1982?...the most people I've ever seen in one place. The news papers reported 200,000 in attendance or some BS...there were 5 times that many!

Steve Winwood Back in the highlife tour Eisenhower Hall West Point, NY...incredible.

Stevie Ray Vahn 1980 Poughkeepsie Civic center. We had 10th row center seats. He was so good that night, during some of his solos he would put one foot up on the floor monitor tilt his head back and close his eyes. That's when the magic happened.

Other great shows worth mentioning. Kansas at MSG 1975 they were so good that I actually felt sorry for Bad Co who had to follow. .

Similar situation at The Ritz Theater on Staten Island, back in `71. Went to see The Kinks, not knowing that the opening act was YES (!), in their first US appearance. They flat-out KILLED it, the entire audience was out of their seats, trying to get down front, closer to the stage. Multiple encores were demanded by the crazed audience....I`m sure Ray and the boys were pissed backstage, they were delayed for quite a while. And, leaving the theater, all you heard were people talking excitedly about YES, and how great they were. "History in the making", as they say....

QUOTE="300man, post: 12501324, member: 162696"]Other great shows
Climax Blues Band - Gold plated tour at the Paladium...incredible how tight that band was...Peter Haycock was so good in the era .[/QUOTE]

Saw them (Climax) at Lincoln Center, either Avery Fisher, or Alice Tully Hall, I forget which. Probably `73 or so, they were playing the Rich Man album. Excellent show, Wishbone Ash (remember them ?) opened, both groups rocked the house. Big fun that night !

Back
Top Bottom