Local delivery restriction, delivery not attempted

Threads like this make me want to cry. So much needless destruction of often irreplaceable stuff. savatage1973 is right, let them pack it, then they can't throw out their pat reply of "insufficient packing".

Hope it all came thru okay, teal'c.

Let them pack a heavy and delicate piece of gear only if you're willing to see it wrecked and then take the insurance. We've all heard the tales of counter staff not understanding the physics of heavy audio gear, and packing it peanuts as a result. If you can control the process, fine, but I wouldn't just hand it over and trust them.

I learned my lesson with Fed Ex, McIntosh amp weighing 90lbs. The delivery lady needed help unloading it, by me, backed the truck up to the garage, put it on my hand truck & thought ok cool, wrong! Never let these people leave without opening something expensive! One corner of box pushed in, didn't think anything of it until I opened it, broken glass faceplate & cracked wood case in that corner. Then they have they nerve to deny my claim saying it wasn't packed well enough....bullshit, it was packed very well, with insurance & pictures. still fighting with them.

If it had been packed well enough it wouldn’t have gotten damaged. A 90-lb amp needs special packaging or it will try to smash its way out of a package. I personally wouldn’t even bother trying to ship a 90-lb Mac amp because of those glass faces. You need a McIntosh original shipping box or crate. If a corner of the box got pushed in and that wrecked the amp, then the packaging was insufficient.

Wrong! First off, not too many people have the original shipping box for a 1982 amplifier of any kind, second it was Fed Ex negelegence, not the fault of the shipper, it was packed very well & I have the pics to prove it, if fed ex wants to bitch about not having the original box then **** them. Other wise nobody would be shipping vintage amps. The corner looked like it had been pushed in, like being pushed against a wall, then popped out again somewhat. This is because they don't care. How big do you need to make letters that say "USE EXTREME CAUTION, THIS UNIT CONTAINS GLASS"?? This also contained the wood case around it that they managed to split in the corner. As far as not shipping a 90lb. Amp, people ship these, that's how they sell them, other wise it would have been local pickup only! I paid for the worthless insurance too. So no don't sit & stick up for Fed Ex when you don't know the details.

You can get shipping boxes from Mac or AudioClassics as far as I know. I thought everyone knew not to ship Mac gear without the original box, but apparently not. I also was under the impression that you had to take this stuff out of the wood case and ship them separately to prevent damage.

By the way, writing “extremely fragile” or whatever on the box is like putting a “kick me” sign on it.

Wrong! First off, not too many people have the original shipping box for a 1982 amplifier of any kind, second it was Fed Ex negelegence, not the fault of the shipper, it was packed very well & I have the pics to prove it, if fed ex wants to bitch about not having the original box then **** them. Other wise nobody would be shipping vintage amps. The corner looked like it had been pushed in, like being pushed against a wall, then popped out again somewhat. This is because they don't care. How big do you need to make letters that say "USE EXTREME CAUTION, THIS UNIT CONTAINS GLASS"?? This also contained the wood case around it that they managed to split in the corner. As far as not shipping a 90lb. Amp, people ship these, that's how they sell them, other wise it would have been local pickup only! I paid for the worthless insurance too. So no don't sit & stick up for Fed Ex when you don't know the details.
Sorry but you are wrong on both counts if it was packed well enough it would arrive undamaged period, secondly Ben was not taking FedExes side just telling it the way it really is.

Ok so don't ship anything unless you have the original shipping box, got it, next don't ever blame the shipping company because they are so careful & always pay attention to everything they ship. Thanks for the advise, next time I ship an amplifier I'll tell the buyer "sorry I can't sell it to you, cus I don't have the correct original box". Sure that works!

Ok so don't ship anything unless you have the original shipping box, got it, next don't ever blame the shipping company because they are so careful & always pay attention to everything they ship. Thanks for the advise, next time I ship an amplifier I'll tell the buyer "sorry I can't sell it to you, cus I don't have the correct original box". Sure that works!
It does not have to have the original box to safely ship but it has to be packed well enough to survive a minimum of a 6 foot drop not many people know how to safely pack a 90 lb amp for survival. Blaming the shipping company is just deflecting the real issue, I am sorry your amp got damaged that sucks.

Well FYI, I just got the mail, received a check from Fed Ex for $347, was only asking for $250! All they needed was a letter from the shipper saying he wasn't filing a claim himself & I have a check! So hey man f'n drop it ok? Fed Ex lost & I won!! This just goes to show I was right, they were wrong! When u pay for insurance & show pictures for proof this is what happens. So.... you're damn right I blame Fed Ex! This just proves their negelegence, so do not post anymore on this subject please thanks.

I'll go without rather then have anybody ever ship me any piece of gear ever again. If I can't pick it up and bring it home myself then it wasn't meant to be. Too much risk, too many bad memories. Just not worth it.

It's all good, I knew I had a valid claim. More than enough to pay for the damage, new faceplate which I already have, full recap & LED retrofit lamps plus money left over. Thanks Fed Ex!

<snip> Anyways, I could not redirect this package. Contacted FedEx via phone and told them what I wanted to do, they said that the method that this was shipped 'specified' that I had to sign for it at my address. Strange. <snip>.

I'm not sure why they didn't get a signature when it was finally delivered but a fairly common scam is for someone with a stolen credit card number to use either their real name or a fake name along with the correct address that matches the stolen credit card number when they place the order so the company shipping the order doesn't get suspicious.

The company ships the order to the billing address thinking everything is fine. Then when it is in transit the criminal contacts the delivery company and has it held for pickup somewhere.
They show up to pick up the shipment and show either their ID or a fake ID that matches the name on the shipment and walk out with the package. Even if they show their own ID there really is no risk because the cops just don't care about these things and won't investigate.

The person that the credit card belongs to files a fraudulent charge claim. The credit card company will demand proof from the seller that it was delivered to the address they have on file which isn't the address it was picked up from. The seller gets screwed because the shipping company has a signature and defends it as being properly delivered so they won't cover it for the insured value.

Last edited:
index.php
:rolleyes:

You mean like telling people in an internet forum not to argue and complain?

If I have them do the packing--it's all on them--done--I think that is worth more than the actual insurance.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a tired topic, but your logic is sound when it comes to assigning responsibility.. OTOH won't it lead to a lot of wrecked glass-front Mac gear? That stuff has to be packed in a very particular fashion, preferably with original materials. There's no way in hell that UPS or FedEx personnel are going to be on the right page w/r/t that.

Regarding the driver(s) not calling when you are home and waiting for them I had a UPS experience (it was a number of years ago) where they did not even try. I inquired with the actual driver a day later and was told they were prohibited from using cell phones , for driving reasons but still really stupid. Does anyone know if this still applies and with what carriers? My situation makes a cell phone call work for me and the drivers. Its frustrating when you have a simple note AND you are home.:dunno::dunno:

So I have been in warehousing for 20+ years now. I know a thing or two about packing and shipping. Over twenty years ago during a summer that I was unemployed I picked up a temp job working at UPS on their loading dock. My job consisted of taking packages off the conveyor and placing them in a certain pile to be then loaded onto trucks by other employees. This dock had something like 6 or more conveyors coming out of a warehouse....constant stream of packages with a load of people moving them from the conveyor to the correct pile for loading all of the trucks. It is a very fast pace with everyone moving quickly as a constant stream of packages come down the individual conveyors. It was a mad house.

You want to know how the UPS employees get this amount of packages off the conveyor and onto the correct pile of boxes to be loaded onto the individual trucks? They toss them. Yes you heard me right. They literally pick a package up, look at the code and toss it onto the pile about 5 feet away. The pace is so fast that it was the only way to keep up.

Now that was 20+ years ago so things have most likely changed but as a Warehouse Manager I rarely use UPS due to that experience I had working on their dock as a young guy.

So I deal with reps for these companies al the time and I absolutely love dealing with the different UPS reps that are sent my way. I will sometimes mention a damaged package and how UPS treats packages and the Rep will say something along the lines of, "UPS takes the handling of it's customer's packages seriously and handles them with great care..." Which is about the time I mention, "I worked for UPS on their loading docks one summer and...." They always give me that defeated look and change the subject...they know I know.

Makes sense , I almost worked as a temp on the loading line during the holidays once but chose not to after a friend said just that "total madness". Just wondering what are your choices for shipping these days?

Back
Top Bottom