AT Cart Opinions

Bkkersey93

Has anyone tried the VM760SLC cartridge? I just got it yesterday and I love it! If so, what is your opinion? And if there's a different AT cart you prefer, what is it and why?

I like the Signet and Precept carts, they can be found really cheap once in awhile, and they sound really good with generic .2x.7 stylus.

I like the Signet and Precept carts, they can be found really cheap once in awhile, and they sound really good with generic .2x.7 stylus.

Speaking from experience the Precept 440 and 550 are next to impossible to find. The whole Precept line was discountinued sometime back in the 90s if I remember correctly. The 440 and 550 were thee best of the AT Precept line and when they do pop-up prepare for sticker shock. My son and I looked for the PC440 for over 8 years before a never used one popped up in the UK. I bought my 1st one new back in 1981 and reeaallly liked it until the beryllium cantilever snapped.... yeah, I'm still butt sore over that one. I obtained an LC550 replacement stylus but it had a tubular aluminum cantilever, not the same sound as the beryllium cantilever.
Anyway, I found the PC220 relatively good in freq response and sound stage. It can still be found if you hunt for it, as well as the PC110 however the sound quality of the AT-95 SE is just as good if not better than the 110, is less expensive and stylus replacement still available.
The closest current AT model to the Precept 440 recently was the 150mlx (no, the 440mla/mlb did not have the same specs) and now that's over with too. With the end of production the prices for 150mlx anything has gotten stupid high.
So here's hoping the VM760 that @Bkkersey93 got gives him as many years of enjoyment as I've gotten out of my Precept 440. :thumbsup:

Speaking from experience the Precept 440 and 550 are next to impossible to find. The whole Precept line was discountinued sometime back in the 90s if I remember correctly. The 440 and 550 were thee best of the AT Precept line and when they do pop-up prepare for sticker shock. My son and I looked for the PC440 for over 8 years before a never used one popped up in the UK. I bought my 1st one new back in 1981 and reeaallly liked it until the beryllium cantilever snapped.... yeah, I'm still butt sore over that one. I obtained an LC550 replacement stylus but it had a tubular aluminum cantilever, not the same sound as the beryllium cantilever.
Anyway, I found the PC220 relatively good in freq response and sound stage. It can still be found if you hunt for it, as well as the PC110 however the sound quality of the AT-95 SE is just as good if not better than the 110, is less expensive and stylus replacement still available.
The closest current AT model to the Precept 440 recently was the 150mlx (no, the 440mla/mlb did not have the same specs) and now that's over with too. With the end of production the prices for 150mlx anything has gotten stupid high.
So here's hoping the VM760 that @Bkkersey93 got gives him as many years of enjoyment as I've gotten out of my Precept 440. :thumbsup:
Oh trust me my good man, I'm enjoying this sucker as long as it may last lol. P.S I know my table is pretty dirty, but I'll clean it soon.

Attachments

• 15483047592277790487769233050917.jpg
    15483047592277790487769233050917.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 20
Oh trust me my good man, I'm enjoying this sucker as long as it may last lol. P.S I know my table is pretty dirty, but I'll clean it soon.

My humble suggestion to you; if you really like and plan on keeping the 760 pick up a couple spare stylus replacements while they're still readily available and somewhat affordable. I learned my lesson with my Precept and 150mlx, didn't get replacements until it was too late and paid for it. The cool thing about most if not all MM Audio Technica carts is when you change out the stylus you also replace the magnets at the same time as they are attached to the cantilever just in front of the suspension.

Dirt? What dirt?! I dint see no stinkin dirt! :biggrin:
Yeah, gloss black can be a pita.

My humble suggestion to you; if you really like and plan on keeping the 760 pick up a couple spare stylus replacements while they're still readily available and somewhat affordable. I learned my lesson with my Precept and 150mlx, didn't get replacements until it was too late and paid for it. The cool thing about most if not all MM Audio Technica carts is when you change out the stylus you also replace the magnets at the same time as they are attached to the cantilever just in front of the suspension.

Dirt? What dirt?! I dint see no stinkin dirt! :biggrin:
Yeah, gloss black can be a pita.

Well as expensive as the styli are, that's not going to happen overnight. But I will get another one eventually. Hopefully in a few years they'll come out with a new series and new supply.
Lmbo, I like the glossy finish. Especially after having the finish of the Stanton T 92 for 4 years.

AT-VM540ML. Like it better than the AT-440MLa. VM540ML, overall sound is more balanced from low to high frequencies.

Glad your liking the VM760SLC. Seems like the new VM series is getting very good reviews from it's owners.

And I also love the new AT-VM 95 series, running the C conical version right now, I like it, tracks very well, detail plenty, sounds great. Works on many medium mass tonearms nicely. Can go from DJ to high end MicroLine, and any other option you could want, including Shibata. Also, reasonably priced. The new standard in reasonable cost, nice, versatile cartridges. Can even have a 78 RPM stylus, all of these genuine Audio-Technica. Poor man's VM. You can use any stylus in this line, on any body from C to Sh. And upgrade, or downgrade as you wish. A tip if the pocketbook is low. I like this.

Has anyone tried the VM760SLC cartridge? I just got it yesterday and I love it! If so, what is your opinion? And if there's a different AT cart you prefer, what is it and why?
I'm running an ART7 but, if push came to shove and I had to go back to an MM cart, this one would be on my short list to audition in comparison to the AT150ANV. For my "beater" turntable I'm thinking of maybe getting a VM540 down the road a bit.

I purchased the newly released AT VM740ML in February of 2018 after about 2 months of shopping , reading reviews and trying to decide which was best for my wants and needs. The VM740ML had me sold on its awesome specs , aluminum alloy cantilever and perhaps most important , the ability to use the Microline styli ( which it comes with ) and /or a Shibata or Special Line Contact styli. Easy swap out to hear and enjoy what the 3 quality styli offer for different kinds of sound for different kinds of music , LP quality , etc. Took approximately 50 hours for it to break in , however , when it did , I was and am hearing instruments , detail , clarity etc. that I’ve never heard from my LP collection. The VM760 is the next step up from my 740 and I’m sure you are Loving it!! Congratulations on choosing a high quality cartridge.

I purchased the newly released AT VM740ML in February of 2018 after about 2 months of shopping , reading reviews and trying to decide which was best for my wants and needs. The VM740ML had me sold on its awesome specs , aluminum alloy cantilever and perhaps most important , the ability to use the Microline styli ( which it comes with ) and /or a Shibata or Special Line Contact styli. Easy swap out to hear and enjoy what the 3 quality styli offer for different kinds of sound for different kinds of music , LP quality , etc. Took approximately 50 hours for it to break in , however , when it did , I was and am hearing instruments , detail , clarity etc. that I’ve never heard from my LP collection. The VM760 is the next step up from my 740 and I’m sure you are Loving it!! Congratulations on choosing a high quality cartridge.
I love her so much lol glad you have jumped on the bandwagon!

Back
Top Bottom