Harmon Kardon and KG4's

Why not just measure the DCR at the speaker terminals? An 8 ohm speaker will likely measure 6-7 ohms DC, this is just an approximation but will tell you more than reading posts on a forum

OK ... I had to check my KG 4's dated 1984 ... I got them in 94, on the speaker input have the listed as being 6 ohm's. They have never been opened up so I have no idea what the drivers would show??
Definitely all the same driver specs. Whether they say 4 or 6 they are the same. Now I was under the impression that they were all 8. But the guy I responded too said the math says they're alll 4. The one thing I'm absolutely certain of is they are all the same no matter what they say.

Yeah ... I would have sworn they were 8 ohm?? They are still easy to drive, but now I wonder if the rest of the line up, the Heritage Series are 8 or 6 ohm speakers???

Yeah ... I would have sworn they were 8 ohm?? They are still easy to drive, but now I wonder if the rest of the line up, the Heritage Series are 8 or 6 ohm speakers???
Yeah so could I. I was fine using the 8 on my tube amp. And now I'm going crazy. 8 is clearer. Less warmth Cleaner vocals and better imaging harderhhitting bass. But the 4 has more warmth and sounds better turned loud and is smoother Ugh. I had to start screwing around.

Naw that's not screwing up, shorting speaker wires and blowing crap up or poking around the underside of a powered up tube amp with a screwdriver, like a blind monkey on crack, that's screwing up!! Sigh I've blown up some great gear .... :(

Naw that's not screwing up, shorting speaker wires and blowing crap up or poking around the underside of a powered up tube amp with a screwdriver, like a blind monkey on crack, that's screwing up!! Sigh I've blown up some great gear .... :(

. Jesus man. Haha. And I meant screwing around like changing things. Once I get going I'll be doing it back and forth for a week until I lose my mind. BTW I found this whicbyis 100% accurate . It's a real audio review when kg4s came out and the tests they did on them. They're a 6 or 7 ohm speaker. Considering you don't see 7 for obvious reasons,, they eventually labeled them 6. Knowing this, either will work, 4 might be the right way but 8 is fine on tubes

"The minimum measured impedance of the kg4 was 4 ohms between 150 and 300 Hz, with maximum readings of 25 ohms at 67 Hz and 38 ohms at 2,900 Hz. The average impedance over the audio range was from 6 to 7 ohms, making the speaker's nominal 4-ohm rating reasonable as well as consistent with industry practice. We measured the bass distortion at a constant drive level of 2 volts, the voltage needed to produce a 90-dB SPL at 1,000 Hz. Close-miked readings were taken separately at the driven cones and the passive cone at several frequencies from 100 to 20 Hz. To calculate the distortion we used readings at a driven cone above 60 Hz and the passive-cone readings in the range below that frequency, where its output was dominant. The Klipsch kg4 had some of the lowest overall bass distortion we have yet measured: 0.2 to 0.4 percent from 100 to 80 Hz, about 2 percent down to 40 Hz, and only 5 percent at 20 Hz."

Back
Top Bottom