Pass X150 test drive

Last year when I asked him , he gave me a higher number, but I do believe what he told me this time is on the low side of their value range. I won't mention it here, I don't want the thread moved to D&S. My friend said he wants me to be sure before buying it and said to take my time with it.

He said it was checked over by Reno HIFI before he acquired it, and there is a 'refurbished by Pass Labs' sticker on the back. The amp is in perfect physical condition. He's barely used it. I'm pretty sure I want to keep it.

Last edited:
Who knows, it could be my X150 that I traded to them a while back. Regardless, I loved mine and it took a deal on an X250 to give it up. Enjoy!

I'm over here with an F5 I built myself with a bit more muscle than the original. It drives some Focal speakers and gets it's signal from an old, refurbed Marantz receiver. To quote the man, "no suckage here". I'm all about his class A amps and I'd personally go for lower power class A than higher power class AB unless I absolutely needed the power, which I don't. If my 62 watts class A doesn't get the job done, 150 won't either.

In response to a few posts above, I also leave my XA-30.5 in standby until ready to listen. Once current is flowing, I find the "about an hour" consensus to be true for best listening - it's well warmed up and ready by then. As my pre' is tubed, I do not leave that powered up all the time, either, but it seems to "warm up" a little quicker. And if I know I've got a bit of time to listen, I'll try to come up and get it all going a little early, but I'm usually not that fussy.

Well, after slight hiccup in the deal, the amp is now mine. I made the decision after a lot of thought and listening sessions. My plan was to pair this with an Aragon Aurum preamp, but while waiting for a silver one to pop up, I came across a Threshold FET One preamp that has already been recapped. I'm still awaiting it's arrival and can't wait to hear the combo. I sold my beloved Musical Fidelity A300 integrated to fund the preamp. I think it will be worth it though, as the Threshold and Pass gear are quite a step up. I don't think I'll be wanting to upgrade anytime soon.

Didn't realize it had been so long since I posted in this thread! Since my last post, I have thoroughly been enjoying the X150. I ended up finding 'new to me' speakers, Vandersteen 3A Signature, that pair very well with the amp. They even moved my M&K's upstairs. The Threshold preamp was a nice match, but my goal was to pair a tube preamp with the X150, which I was finally able to do just recently. I bought a brand new ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, with optional phono stage. The MW really took the system to the next level and I'm content with everything. Now I just need a new rack to fit everything better. I don't even have room for my TT at the moment. Once I get a new rack, I'll update my system thread with nicer pics.

Attachments

• 20190822_163940.jpg
    20190822_163940.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 33
Didn't realize it had been so long since I posted in this thread! Since my last post, I have thoroughly been enjoying the X150. I ended up finding 'new to me' speakers, Vandersteen 3A Signature, that pair very well with the amp. They even moved my M&K's upstairs. The Threshold preamp was a nice match, but my goal was to pair a tube preamp with the X150, which I was finally able to do just recently. I bought a brand new ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, with optional phono stage. The MW really took the system to the next level and I'm content with everything. Now I just need a new rack to fit everything better. I don't even have room for my TT at the moment. Once I get a new rack, I'll update my system thread with nicer pics.

Very nice! Sounds like a great combo.

That sounds like a great system. I’d love to see pictures of the set up and the room all this goodness is going down in.

Threshold s/300 Optical Bias (recapped and tweaked just a little) has been a high water mark for me after trying Aragon, Krell, Emotiva, Hafler, Soundcraftsmen, Adcom, Onkyo, Denon, Phase Linear...Whether I prefer it with a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 Signature preamp or highly modified Acurus RL-11 solid state depends on the speakers in use. Also have an F5 clone for my Altecs that sent a set of 300B SET monoblocks packing. If I know I’m going to be listening to the rig every day, I’ll usually just leave them on.

As evidence for how gutsy a good Pass high current design is, I biamped a pair of notoriously difficult to drive vintage Infinities with the s/300 and heard virtually no difference compared to using a single...even at high SPLs.

Michael

838AEA34-881B-4E84-B735-7CB92DDD013A.jpeg

It'll all be setup in my living room, same space I've been using for years, and can be seen in my past 'Stereo Evolution' thread. The rack will be new though, which I had to order from a local Salamander dealer. It should be on its way soon, luckily it comes mostly assembled. I think it will tie all the components together nicely.

That's a nice setup you have there, I'll bet it sounds fantastic. I just sold the matching preamp to those s/300's, the FET One. Great phono stage on that thing.

Who else has Pass amps and what do you use for preamp?

I recently snagged a cheap Adcom GTP-500 to feed signal to my F5. I'm using the "lab" outputs. Direct coupled output as opposed to "norm" cap coupled; it has both. I'm pleased. It's quiet, flat, transparent, improves imaging, gives tighter definition top to bottom, and makes more authoritative bass. It's a combo of recommend.

Who else has Pass amps and what do you use for preamp?

Pass Labs X250.8 with an Ayre Acoustics K-1Xe preamp. A few years back I had the Pass Labs X250.0 paired with a set of Wilson Audio Witt II speakers that was heavenly. My wife asked if I'd down size so I tried....what a mistake. I spent thousands trying to get back the sound I was used to, and after going through a few different amps I finally realized I wouldn't be happy until I got another Pass Labs amp. A guy was selling the X250.8 from a second system he rarely used, so I got it like new for just over $6K. I'll never change it out. Never. IMG_20171007_180944574.jpg

Last edited:
In response to a few posts above, I also leave my XA-30.5 in standby until ready to listen. Once current is flowing, I find the "about an hour" consensus to be true for best listening - it's well warmed up and ready by then. As my pre' is tubed, I do not leave that powered up all the time, either, but it seems to "warm up" a little quicker. And if I know I've got a bit of time to listen, I'll try to come up and get it all going a little early, but I'm usually not that fussy.
I still need to get over your way to listen to your setup.

Reactions: DC
The new rack is finally set up, and I'm realizing the system has seen quite a few changes since I started this thread. I'll have to update my system thread to show all the details, but here's a few pics of the Pass X150 & friends in their new habitat...

CT928dt.jpg

jnyfsIG.jpg

6aa7TRy.jpg

yGco2Dv.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom