4400 in the house :)

The 4400 is my favourite second to the 2500.
I've had both of them, one 2500 and three 4400's, but this 4400 is my favorite right now...I'm not letting it go like the others, because I don't think I would find one in this condition, again....I assume they're getting pretty scarce after 45 years, but a lot of people here seem to have them...if I ever see one with a bright green scope, in nice shape, I'd consider it, too, if it was the right price...this one is bluish/green and it's beautiful, though...I wonder if you can switch scopes...that sounds crazy, I guess, but something about the perfect color balance, all the primary colors represented in lights is a beautiful effect...just for the hell of it, the 4400 I got before this one (actually that was technically my 3rd) is sitting on my living room floor waiting to be sent back to the person that sold it to me a couple of months ago, and I went over to turn it on to compare scope colors, but it started crackling inside without even being connected to speakers, so I shut it off and unplugged it immediately...no thanks, not important enough to burn my house down...I have a stack of old Yamahas next to it that are going in the trash today...they all self destructed after a couple of decades...I used to leave them on 24 hours a day, which I'm sure isn't too smart, either.

Last edited:
Yes you can switch scope tubes, one is blue and one is green- pinout is the same.
Cool! I am starting to really like the color of this one, though, it's actually a really pleasant color to look at while it's making complex patterns...maybe that's why they changed it, it's easier on the eyes, or something...the ones with blue scopes look like the window is tinted blue when the scope is off, too...I wonder if that effects the color...anyway, it's a bit drastic to open one of these up just to change the color, but it's good to know....thanks.

...see, it works, but the camera makes it look a lot more blue than it is...btw, it's "cathode roy" you didn't expect stills, did you?

Last edited:
I'm deleting the vid, I just wanted to show the scope color, but it's getting obsessive (makes me cringe when I look back)...not into showing off the receiver, really, I'm sure everyone's sick of hearing about it by now...thanks for the help, though!

Last edited:
Green scope, too...I'm green w/ envy.:D hmmm...I wonder if I removed the blue tinted window in front of my scope whether it would be green or not underneath...:idea: It actually is blue/green, though...there I go, all about me, again, sorry.:blah:

Last edited:
I have a second unit that's mine, I was told by the owner it's a blue scope, now I have to get it up and running.

Cool! The blue ones, which are actually kind of aqua (blue/green) are beautiful, too. However, not to sound obsessed (well too late for that now), but when you open it up can you see if the blue window in front of the blue scope makes it tinted more blue? Post more pics, too, if you want, I'm always interested in seeing other 4400's...they're like a work of art (well, to me, at least, because I'm an artist)...thanks...and good luck.

I sure will, just ordered all the power supply board parts to start- then i gotta wire in that bloody 2x4 switch.

I sure will, just ordered all the power supply board parts to start- then i gotta wire in that bloody 2x4 switch.
Yikes...can't even imagine...I'm too sloppy with solder, even got fired from a couple of jobs for being too slow...there's an art to it, too, I think, and I never got the hang of it...plus everything I do I have to redo, eventually...I know there's way more to it than that, though...a 4400 would take me many years and then it still wouldn't work...you have my respect.:bowdown:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom