What Record Are You Hearing Now?

An awesome album that I think goes a bit under appreciated these days. I always pick up decent copies when I find ‘em at the Willie. Think I’m up to a good half dozen now, both mono and stereo. One of the first albums I remember my dad buying when I was little.

My dad was also into Herb, many a Sunday morning spent spinning him when I was young. I always remember my mother being less than pleased by the Whipped Cream cover though.

An awesome album that I think goes a bit under appreciated these days. I always pick up decent copies when I find ‘em at the Willie. Think I’m up to a good half dozen now, both mono and stereo. One of the first albums I remember my dad buying when I was little.
For some reason everyone's Dad had this album. ???

In the mood for spiritual jazz. Two from a pair of master multi-instrumentalists.

Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons:

'The Cry' from 1963 Contemporary M3610
index.php

Followed by their 1968 collaboration 'Firebirds' Contemporary S7613 with the terrific Bobby Hutcherson on vibes.

index.php

Accessible, emotional, and potent

Question for any John Fahey fans:
Anyone here have the 4 men with beards reissue of “the transfiguration of blind joe death”? Wondering what the quality is like - or is anything reissued by them best avoided? (I keep seeing them called “4 men with no ears”..)

My dad was also into Herb, many a Sunday morning spent spinning him when I was young. I always remember my mother being less than pleased by the Whipped Cream cover though.
For some reason everyone's Dad had this album. ???

It was popular partly ‘cause of that album art but really, it’s a very good album too.
My wife’s OK with me having as many copies of it as I like - so long as I stay home to hear ‘em. Besides, she likes whipped cream.

So.... While looking through my LP collection, I noticed a bunch of less than liked LP's doing "next to the cinderblock" duty. You know, protecting the other LP's from those cinderblocks on either end of both rows of LP's. I had 4 collections of 1950's - 1960's remakes. Only one tune was acceptable. 40 miles of bad road. The collections were pretty lame. BUT.... the mastering and pressing is PERFECT! even at full volume, I couldn't hear ANY noise between tracks. Next to them was a Direct Disco 45 with 3 poor renditions of Disco tunes on each side, in white vinyl. OK D2D. D- performance. D- mastering. NOT Sheffield quality.

Had a Stanton 681 EEE-S with an Stereohedron original stylus! Sold it, what was I thinking!! Hang onto that 681!! My Audio Technica VM540ML sounds fantastic with this Quincy Jones album! For mono, it's definitely my Grado ME+ mono cartridge!

I like the midrange sound of the Grados, but they hum on my Linn mono rig. Have an Audio Technica AT Mono 3 moving coil on now with happy sounding results.

So.... While looking through my LP collection, I noticed a bunch of less than liked LP's doing "next to the cinderblock" duty. You know, protecting the other LP's from those cinderblocks on either end of both rows of LP's. I had 4 collections of 1950's - 1960's remakes. Only one tune was acceptable. 40 miles of bad road. The collections were pretty lame. BUT.... the mastering and pressing is PERFECT! even at full volume, I couldn't hear ANY noise between tracks. Next to them was a Direct Disco 45 with 3 poor renditions of Disco tunes on each side, in white vinyl. OK D2D. D- performance. D- mastering. NOT Sheffield quality.

Oh, but that cover!
150870149583.jpg

I like the midrange sound of the Grados, but they hum on my Linn mono rig. Have an Audio Technica AT Mono 3 moving coil on now with happy sounding results.

Yes, Grado will hum on a Linn & Thorens because they have an AC motor. I love the lush rich midrange of my Grado ME+ that I have mounted on a Technics SL-B3 turntable. The SL-B3 has a DC motor so it doesn't hum. I was thinking about getting the AT Mono cartridge but wanted a cartridge that I can replace the stylus.

Question for any John Fahey fans:
Anyone here have the 4 men with beards reissue of “the transfiguration of blind joe death”? Wondering what the quality is like - or is anything reissued by them best avoided? (I keep seeing them called “4 men with no ears”..)

From what I've read about the "4 Men With Beards" they aren't the best reissues.

"Going Places" is definitely my favorite Herb Alpert & the TJB album. Played that when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom