Banging My Head Against The Wall - The Oppo UDP-205

Severius!

Exactly one year again today - this very day - Audiogon was overflowing with listings for used Oppo UDP-205 universal players.

Sellers were twisting themselves into pretzels trying to outsell each other, throwing in dozens of extras and freebees, and pricing 205's around $700.00.

Today - NOW - If you can find a new UDP 205, you're going to shell out at least $3200.00. If you can find a used one, it's priced pretty close to that.

As we know, Oppo suddenly, mercilessly and with cold detachment, cancelled all hardware manufacture. Even their DAC was axed.

I need a universal player. I need and want one. Not just some overpriced CD player - but a universal player, so that I can run SACD, music Bluray, etc. For $700 used in superb condition, the UDP-205 really, really, really fit the bill.

Like an idiot, I waited. And, I lost. Now, universal players are harder to find then ever, and few at Oppo's quality for even the UDP-205's full retail price [which was only $1400 - damn].

Actions have consequences, and the result of my stupidity is still reverberating. As a work around the Oppo problem, I've been picking up used DVD players with optical or digital streaming outputs, with the idea of plugging them into a really good DAC, thus using them as simple transports.

The Oppo DAC would've been ideal. No longer made, hard to find even used. DAC's flip out of production frequently, since the technology keeps changing. So, I don't want to spend a ton on one. But, it seems that unless you blow at least $1500 and up for a DAC, you're not getting anything good. I was going to go for the Pro-Ject S DAC [$400], until I read the review in this month's Stereophile. Hell, that thing's not even as good as some routine Tascam CD player.

Any recommendations? Or, should I just sink into homeless living under the viaduct?

Marantz SACD / DVD DV8400

No it does not do Bluray but that should not bother you as you can get that in very cheap players for your TV. I bought my DV8400 for around $40 in the record store as they just thought it was a CD / DVD player but even online they are still far lower than your budget. It's a fine quality unit that fly's under the radar.

I also see a couple on the bay for sale and auctions, and there is also a DV8300 that is also SACD

Last edited:
Bought my Sony as an open box item for around 400. Does Bluray, has audio RCA’s. The closest thing to it that can do the same thing and has the same connections costs over 1,000. Again,IMHO.

Sony states the UBP X1000ES plays SACD discs.
Your right, I just could not find it in normal advertising.

DISC
BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray

Sony states the UBP X1000ES plays SACD discs.

Your right, I just could not find it in normal advertising.

DISC
BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray

My son was also looking into a used Oppo but couldn't justify the going price for his use. He opted for this Sony unit and is very happy with it so far.
Great suggestion guys.

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray SACD DVD Player.

I have one... bought it used at the 'bay. It'll play anything and sounds fantastic.

Start thinking about the new world where spinning plastic no longer exists. I joined it about five years ago.

Server based storage of content employing local streamers is what many folks do today. And get spoiled by having instant access to everything in their digital library. Along with internet radio and subscription services like Qobuz, Spotify and Tidal.

Oppo saw the writing on the wall (and their income statement) and made an informed business decision. The benefits of escaping single disc playback are just too compelling today.

OP:

The $64k questions are:
  • What types of recordings do you want to play? CD, SACD, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Blu-ray (audio/video), Ultra HD Blu-ray, 24bit/192kHz FLAC download, DSD download, etc.
  • Do you need analog connections to traditional hi-fi amps? Stereo? 5.1? 7.1?
  • Do you want or need remote volume control on the universal player?
  • Do you need bass management, i.e., subwoofer connection on the universal player, so that the bass is off-loaded from the main amp and speakers?
  • TOSLINK input that can be used to connect Chromecast Audio, in order to support streaming?
FWIW, because my favorite type of music recordings are Blu-ray audio/video of classical concerts and opera that feature hi-res surround-sound and hi-def video, and I connect vintage tube amps via RCA connections (5.1), nothing matches the Oppo UDP-205. (When Oppo announced that they would cease production, I ordered a second UDP-205. I now own two UDP-205, plus a BDP-105, and BDP-95, all installed in different systems with vintage tube amps.)

If you don't need UltraHD Blu-ray, the older BDP-105 and UDP-95 will likely meet your needs.

If you only need stereo analog connections (not surround-sound), there are a few options, such as the Sony UBP X1000ES, and the Pioneer UDP-LX500.

If you don't need analog audio connections (e.g., you'll connect via HDMI to an AVR), there are numerous players available.

P.S. There are several existing threads if you want to read more about this topic. Try googling something like: Oppo site:audiokarma.org

Last edited:
I bought 2 new OPPO UDP-203`s( one for the main A/V rack`s BR/DVD, BR Pure music, etc., and the other as a backup & to play my 430 + Gig. WAV. ripped music Flash drive, or a 1 Terabyte SSD with same music stored on it.
They both perform excellently for my requirements..

The A/V rack OPPO outputs HDMI audio only to my Integra A/V/P, and S/PDIF coax to my DAC, and also it`s L/R analog outputs for feeding my whole house`s analog audio distribution for the audio systems in 5 rooms for when watching a movie in one of those rooms, and not desiring to fire up the main living room`s Sony digital theater grade, true 4K projection HT system.

The "spare" OPPO 203 is only S/PDIF coax outputted to my A/V rack`s DAC, and so far I haven`t even played any optical disc yet, since connecting it up, and placing in 24/7/365 use, in the sun room.

I wanted to buy the UDP-205, but missed the boat on that one, and though I could easily afford to purchase one of the gouged priced new in box internet offering`s, I just couldn`t justify feeding the exploiters.

All 3 OPPO players that I own(my first one was a ~2011 purchased BDP-103) all 3 have, individually each, thousands of hr.`s of running time on them & provide excellent sound, video performance, IMHO/E without ever having any issues whatsoever in their use here.

And those 2 OPPO players have never failed to play any optical disc, or any USB based ripped of all type`s of music file`s music placed in them, and even Sony Pictures BR/DVD disc`s that refused to play in my Sony BR/DVD player, and my caregiver`s BR/DVD player.

Just my $.02 worth of experience, FWIW, concerning the OPPO universal players I own and use daily.

I own two UDP-205 players. Although I could not imagine a better sounding SACD player, I still plan on having Modwright do their magic on one of them. I also own a Yamaha CD-S2000 player and it is also a fine sounding player but more limited than the Oppo (stereo only, no video etc). The new CD-S2100 is not cheap but a very decent audio only machine and it has access to the DAC for sources (which the CD-S2000 does not).

I'm in the same boat.

Couldn't afford the Oppo 205 when it was still in production and now I that I (sort of) can they go for twice that used. I'm seriously considering getting one still even at the inflated prices.

I need (or want) multichannel analog outs which the Sony doesn't have but it does seem like a good, much cheaper option. Maybe the signal could be sent from Sony to a DAC with multichannel outs? But I know there are limitations on such things that I don't fully understand. Does the Sony do HDCD? I know the 205 doesn't which is a bummer. I was wondering if you can decode the HDCD with a different player and send it digitally to the 205 for the better DAC?

I'm even considering getting a Modwright 205 which might be nuts but I would like to get something that can do (almost) everything I want with superior sound and not having to worry about upgrading for many years. Do you think Oppo will continue to maintain the discontinued stuff with firmware and so on? Parts will surely become more scarce?

I'm fully down the rabbit hole at this point chasing sound. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's so confusing I think a different hobby would be smarter for me. Lol!

I'm in the same boat.

Couldn't afford the Oppo 205 when it was still in production and now I that I (sort of) can they go for twice that used. I'm seriously considering getting one still even at the inflated prices.

I need (or want) multichannel analog outs which the Sony doesn't have but it does seem like a good, much cheaper option. Maybe the signal could be sent from Sony to a DAC with multichannel outs? But I know there are limitations on such things that I don't fully understand. Does the Sony do HDCD? I know the 205 doesn't which is a bummer. I was wondering if you can decode the HDCD with a different player and send it digitally to the 205 for the better DAC?

I'm even considering getting a Modwright 205 which might be nuts but I would like to get something that can do (almost) everything I want with superior sound and not having to worry about upgrading for many years. Do you think Oppo will continue to maintain the discontinued stuff with firmware and so on? Parts will surely become more scarce?

I'm fully down the rabbit hole at this point chasing sound. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's so confusing I think a different hobby would be smarter for me. Lol!

The last Oppo disc player products, 103, 105, 203, 205 have all the video and audio processing needed built in (not to mention WiFi streaming). With the multi channel analog audio outputs you don’t need an AVR to process surround sound. Unlike an AVR, you still need amplification to your speakers. With these oppo players, a multichannel amp, speakers and a monitor are all you need.

The 205 is exceptional because it has even more capability. It has dual ES9038PRO DAC chips. One chip for surround sound using DVD, SACD, Blue Ray (or other HDMI) input with multi channel RCA analog outputs (or HDMI digital output to an AVR) and one separate chip for stereo only audio processing using stereo dedicated USB/SPDIF inputs (or CD, SACD, Blue Ray etc) with RCA or XLR analog outputs. The second stereo DAC chip ignores all the surround sound BS and just processes stereo directly from dedicated stereo inputs to the dedicated stereo DAC chip with dedicated stereo analog outputs. So along with a SOTA video processor, SOTA surround sound processor it also has a dedicated SOTA stereo DAC built in.

The 103, 105 and 203 and most other players use one DAC processor that utilizes the front and left channels input from the HDMI input to also process the stereo signal when the listener chooses the stereo option. Totally acceptable but not as good as a dedicated separate stereo DAC and circuits. That is one of the reasons Modwright choose the 205 for their high end mods.

With the 205 you have an excellent DVD and Blue Ray video machine with excellent surround sound, plus an excellent CD, SACD and USB/SPDIF DAC stereo audio player. To get the most out of the stereo function, I highly recommend programing it to bypass the internal volume control and connect the analog outputs to a dedicated high end preamplifier (rather than directly to an amplifier). If you don’t own a high end preamplifier, the internal oppo digital volume control is totally acceptable. Granted this will not allow source selection of other analog sources.

With the Modwright mods on the 205 you have a truely exceptional player but also a stereo DAC that would give any DAC a run for the money (including Dan’s own Elyse DAC).

Last edited:
Denon and Pioneer have new universals on the market. I haven't heard either.

All,
If multi-channel SACD play is desired, there is an economical solution, a Sony UBP-X800. It's HDMI output can be connected to an HDMI input on AVR or Prepro for stereo and multi-channel digital to analog conversion.

I have a Oppo BDP-95 and it sounds fine to me and Picture quality is excellent also. I also started to use my older Denon DVD- 2910 players. They still sound really good after all these years.

Well the Oppo 205 with Modwright mods I was sniffing around got sold so I don't have to think about that particular one anymore. Whew! Just temporarily saved $$$$ ;)

crouse, I checked those out and if I found the ones you were referencing neither has multi-channel outs. SterlingOne, same deal.

Maybe I should open myself up to different units for different purposes but it's very seductive to have an all-in-one solution.

@Severius! did you decide on anything?

Thanks all...

Well the Oppo 205 with Modwright mods I was sniffing around got sold so I don't have to think about that particular one anymore. Whew! Just temporarily saved $$$$ ;)

crouse, I checked those out and if I found the ones you were referencing neither has multi-channel outs. SterlingOne, same deal.

Maybe I should open myself up to different units for different purposes but it's very seductive to have an all-in-one solution.

@Severius! did you decide on anything?

Thanks all...
The Sony does have multi-channel SACD output, it's via the HDMI port.

Back
Top Bottom