Best preamp under 500?

NastyNat

Hey everyone!

So I’ve been playing with the idea of getting another preamp. I have an anthem avm2, and a Yamaha c4. I love the c4. Smooth, neutral. I’ve been considering maybe a luxman c02, would love to get into tube gear. My amps are a bryston 4b, and a bgw 750c.

Any input is appreciated!

You want the highest fidelity possible that was way ahead of its time and will still be around when all this new stuff burns up ??

Go to......thevintageknob.org

The Yamaha CA-1000

Was mass produced by the millions and because most of them are still out there the price is just a little over your budget, but none of the newer preamps in this price range can compare. Match it up with the Yamaha MX-1000 amplifier and.....seeing is believing, maybe listening is really believing !!

You want the highest fidelity possible that was way ahead of its time and will still be around when all this new stuff burns up ??

Go to......thevintageknob.org

The Yamaha CA-1000

Was mass produced by the millions and because most of them are still out there the price is just a little over your budget, but none of the newer preamps in this price range can compare. Match it up with the Yamaha MX-1000 amplifier and.....seeing is believing, maybe listening is really believing !!

Will be looking out for one thanks!

In terms of vintage, my favorites in the under $500 range were the DB-1, H-K Citation 11, Van Alstine FET-5 and the AGI Model 511.

The Audio Research SP-3a and Mark Levinson JC-2 were the best IMHO but were $795 and $1050 respectively.

I have a C-4 that I restored, and it’s pretty hard to beat for under $500. The C-4 was my first thought when I saw this post, but I see you already have one! If it’s all original, you could put that money towards a resto.

I have a C-4 that I restored, and it’s pretty hard to beat for under $500. The C-4 was my first thought when I saw this post, but I see you already have one! If it’s all original, you could put that money towards a resto.
The c4 has been recapped, it’s a great pre amp. Its looking like I’ll have to up my budget to get something better, though not really necessary.

Yes you do need to fill your piggy bank a bit more no doubt. In my case I moved up to a Mcintosh C33 which is from the same time period as a C4 but about 3 to 4 times the original cost. I found there's a BIG difference between a $600 pre and one that went for over $2G's. As nice as both my recapped C4's were I quickly found there really was no comparison to the Mac and both C4's got sold. One good thing is they sold very quickly and for fair prices even here on bartertown which surprised me.

Yes you do need to fill your piggy bank a bit more no doubt. In my case I moved up to a Mcintosh C33 which is from the same time period as a C4 but about 3 to 4 times the original cost. I found there's a BIG difference between a $600 pre and one that went for over $2G's. As nice as both my recapped C4's were I quickly found there really was no comparison to the Mac and both C4's got sold. One good thing is they sold very quickly and for fair prices even here on bartertown which surprised me.

Definitely. My dads Mcintosh preamp he uses with his pair of premier fives is light years ahead of both my avm2 ad c4. Anything negative to note about a c24 or luxman co2? Looks like with a little more saving they arnt too far out of reach.

Again, thanks for the input

Shiit Saga? Or a Freya for a little bit more? No vintage restoration to think of and a very flexible arrow in the quiver? Just a thought and a recommendation.

Definitely. My dads Mcintosh preamp he uses with his pair of premier fives is light years ahead of both my avm2 ad c4. Anything negative to note about a c24 or luxman co2? Looks like with a little more saving they arnt too far out of reach.

Again, thanks for the input
No experience with the Luxman and I'm thinking you'd have to go higher than a C24 in the Mac line up to best your C4. I was able to directly compare a C28 to a C4 years ago and that time it was the C4 coming out on top. Personal experience tells me a recapped C4 is one of the best values in the $500 preamp category and tough to beat without spending a lot more money.

No experience with the Luxman and I'm thinking you'd have to go higher than a C24 in the Mac line up to best your C4. I was able to directly compare a C28 to a C4 years ago and that time it was the C4 coming out on top. Personal experience tells me a recapped C4 is one of the best values in the $500 preamp category and tough to beat without spending a lot more money.

Great info. What models would You consider a “worthwhile” upgrade from what I have? I’m happy with the c4 so I don’t mind waiting and saving more.

^^^^My ears told me the C33 is a very worthwhile upgrade. As much as I liked my C4's there was just no comparison. If you don't mind waiting and saving a bit more the newer Mac pre's are yet another upgrade over the now 35 year old C33's.

Shiit Saga? Or a Freya for a little bit more? No vintage restoration to think of and a very flexible arrow in the quiver? Just a thought and a recommendation.
Seen the saga, gotta admit it’s interesting, though the tube is just a buffer. Curious how it sounds

IMHO this is the best preamp under $500:

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvc.htm

The three-knob version was rated by Stereophile as Class A. The average price of the Class A preamps in that buyer's guide issue was about $18K.

I am not making this up.

Edit: But I did forget which forum I was in. :)

Last edited:
Don't know if it's the best, but I really like the technics su-9070 which goes for ~200 and I think is a sleeper.

Technics SU-V9, has a wonderful phonostage, not sure , they are as cheap as there were back in the day. The Technics SU-V8X is a nice amp also or older pre class A ones

Back
Top Bottom