So, are we not allowed to pass motorbikes anymore?

I'm only interested in getting past people that are slower than me.

That pretty much says it all ... I was just out hiking on a local rails to trails, and got buzzed pretty close by a couple bike riders who just flat out refused to single up when passing.

Not sure I'll ever run into anyone moving slower than me when I'm out walkabout, but I'll probably buzz THEM ... pretty sure the wind won't knock them over when I do it, and not much chance of throwing up any gravel ... <G>

Politically correct statement. I would have reacted a bit different that you.

"The last time I was on my bicycle , he didn't pass me , he hit me head on . With a diesel pick-up.

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks into my new hip ".

Damn Zebra, Sorry to here about this. Get better quick.

The Deer and stupid people pulling out in front off me are why i don't ride anymore. I didn't think about that guy getting nailed with a rock. Even though you didn't have any idea why the guy got pissed, this would be a good explanation. Shit happens. I had a buddy drop me off after high school a nd do a burnout, nailing me with a rock and chipped a tooth. That sucker hurt as it busted apart in my mouth.

And, the biggest percentage of fatalities by bike type is cruisers, not sportbikes. As well, people 40 and older are higher percentage of fatalities.

I got my motorcycle endorsement over 30 years ago, and do 95% of my riding on a 2013 Road Glide. I also have a 2011 Hayabusa, so I have a dog in the fight on both sides. While I will agree with the second half of your statement, I think the first part is dead wrong.

According to data from the IIHS and NHTSA:

Supersport bike riders have death rates that are four times greater than average for all motorcycle types, says the IIHS. These so-called rockets are essentially racing bikes modified for highway use. Engineered for speed, they typically have more horsepower per pound than other bikes. A 2006 model Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, for example, produces 111 horsepower and weighs 404 pounds. In contrast, the 2006 model Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a touring motorcycle, produces 65 horsepower and weighs 788 pounds.

"Supersport motorcycles are indeed nimble and quick, but they also can be deadly," says Anne McCartt, Institute senior vice president for research. "These bikes made up less than 10 percent of registered motorcycles in 2005 but accounted for over 25 percent of rider deaths."

The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...supersport-bikes-the-most-dangerous/index.htm

Last edited:
I got my motorcycle endorsement over 30 years ago, and do 95% of my riding on a 2013 Road Glide. I also have a 2011 Hayabusa, so I have a dog in the fight on both sides. While I will agree with the second half of your statement, I think the first part is dead wrong.

Yeah, I have a dog in both fights too. A 125 cu in V-twin and a 900cc crotch rocket. I as well do most of my riding on the cruiser, but probably more like 75/25 - 80/20 ratio.

But, perhaps you misinterpreted what I said. It's clear the percentage of cruiser/standard bike fatalities is the single largest group, larger than sport bikes.

capture22674.png

Last edited:
Remember, this is NJ we're talking about. I've driven all over this Country, as well as in the UK and European countries. There's something about this state that make people turn their brains off when getting into a car or on a motorbike.

Try the eastern 'burbs of Detroit. Road manners, and attention span during driving, are non-existent. Worst are the rednecks in their manly pickup trucks who barge their way through everything, tailgating and flipping off everyone in their path. Must be making up for their deficiencies elsewhere. I-696 is also a pain to drive on; if you're not doing 80, you're going to get run over, or cut off and brake-checked. On the western end, I've hit 90-95 in the left lane and not kept up with traffic in front of or alongside me.

Oh hell yes. I have absolute zero patience for people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Texting while driving all over the road, sitting in the left lane pacing the traffic in the right lane, not paying attention at lights and having it change while everyone behind them misses the light, the list goes on and on.

Same here. And not to pick on the elderly, but some of them should not be out driving. I've seen plenty of them driving unaware of the situations around them (including some who pull out right in front of me without even seeing me), but a couple of times a year, I'll see some poor old lady do something damn near deadly. Three miles up the road, this old lady was seemingly disoriented, then she attempted to make a left turn. She pulled right up to the bumper of the car that was turning left in front of her, from the opposite direction!

I think what bothers me most (which I have no patience for) is that general inattention so many give to driving! We're in a nearly two ton vehicle, hurtling it often at high speeds. It's a privilege (not a right) to drive a car, truck or motorcycle, and we need to be responsible when doing so.

I read something decades ago which stuck with me, from a professional limo driver: "Always leave yourself an out." He would drive so that as often as he could, he'd have a lane or shoulder open next to him to escape anything another driver might do. I take that up a notch--I try to assume that driver next to me, or that driver on a side road in front of me, may merge or turn into my path. I might not avoid something happening, but if I can change my speed and direction, I can probably keep it a lot less severe for all of us.

With a 16 year old who is just starting to drive (under permit), it worries me. She not only has to watch the traffic laws, she now has all of these distracted drivers and cocky aggressive drivers to contend with. Just more sensory overload that she is not used to. I'm not worried about what she will do, but what others will do.

Around here most motorcycle accidents happen because the riders run out of talent before they run out of speed.

I've seen that a lot in our neighborhood newspapers lately. Bikers out at 1:30am, overdriving their abilities (and often impaired by pot or alcohol), crashing in the turns. I also blame inattentive drivers, the ones who are texting or just not paying attention to anything other than what's going on inside their cars. As I ride a bicycle, I'm very careful about watching for non-automobiles on the roads as I turn. Helping my fellow "brethren" I guess. Having said that, a friend of my ex's only had his motorcycle endorsement for a few days before he was killed by a car that turned into traffic, not seeing him.

That pretty much says it all ... I was just out hiking on a local rails to trails, and got buzzed pretty close by a couple bike riders who just flat out refused to single up when passing.

I get that all the time. I ride the local trails. The opposite direction, I'll see two couples, or a trio of riders, coming my way and more often than not, they barely want to move over and let me pass. I was nicer before. Now I just stand my ground. Or if I'm coming up behind a group, they occasionally don't bother moving over, or do it so late after I've warned them with the bell several times that it does me no good.

Worst I had was some dumb teenager, riding no-handed on the wrong side of the trail alongside his buddy, looking down and texting on his phone. I rang my bell repeatedly and he nearly crashed into me until he realized I was nearly on top of him. (I was ready to veer off, but I threw a hell of a scare into him, and unleashed a couple of carefully selected USDA choice cuss words to send him on his way. :D )

Seems common courtesy goes out the window on some of our local rail trails, along with inattention. As a rider (and infrequent walker/hiker), I am continuously looking around me. Maybe we're in the minority.

Speaking of a car that turned into traffic, not seeing him. Happened to my oldest back in 09.

0321590840105011-01-00-P01.jpg

You sound pretty brave there...Just watch what bikers you piss off and threaten to bounce off the pavement,you may find yourself being bounced..lol

hunter

I have had this bike forever

the. rock shooting thing in new- last couple of years
I wonder why

Just an observation. Some peeps personalities change when they get on a motorcycle. They even dress different. The personality is that of a tough James Dean type. I see that a lot nowadays. What changes too is the tolerance level and what is perceived as write and wrong. I see bikers do something really crazy and they look at you like it's your fault. Don't get me started on bicycle riders. Here in Houston though, you never use your turn signals. Why? The rules of combat. "You never want to tell the enemy what your going to do next".

I think a lot of people's personalities seem to change when on a motorbike or in a car. It's the mentality of "you're not going to get in front of me", despite the fact we're all doing pretty much the same speed.

Lee.

Yeah, I have a dog in both fights too. A 125 cu in V-twin and a 900cc crotch rocket. I as well do most of my riding on the cruiser, but probably more like 75/25 - 80/20 ratio.

But, perhaps you misinterpreted what I said. It's clear the percentage of cruiser/standard bike fatalities is the single largest group, larger than sport bikes.

View attachment 646116

Okay, so most motorcycle accidents involve cruisers.

What percentage of motorcycles on the road are cruisers as compared to sports bikes? Because in isolation, your statistic doesn't give the full story.

Okay, so most motorcycle accidents involve cruisers.

What percentage of motorcycles on the road are cruisers as compared to sports bikes? Because in isolation, your statistic doesn't give the full story.

Without going back to positively confirm why I posted, i recall it was in response to something about sportbike riders being organ donors. The point of the post was that sport bike riders are not the biggest contribution to the organ pool.

Generally I don't mind disagreement with what I say, but at least disagree with what said in the context I said it.

I don't ride any more - a few years back I rebuilt an old Triumph 500 and realized the local drivers were too distant to trust in ANY way. But even in a car, my attitude has always been - I presume the other drivers are dead roaring drunk and I never put myself in a situation that requires attention or thoughtfulness from others to avoid trouble.
"Never presume the other drivers are mentally present" - too often they are not!

I like the quote from Wildcat - "ALWAYS leave yourself an out!"

I read something decades ago which stuck with me, from a professional limo driver: "Always leave yourself an out." He would drive so that as often as he could, he'd have a lane or shoulder open next to him to escape anything another driver might do. I take that up a notch--I try to assume that driver next to me, or that driver on a side road in front of me, may merge or turn into my path. I might not avoid something happening, but if I can change my speed and direction, I can probably keep it a lot less severe for all of us.

Back
Top Bottom