Rare (to me) Infinity 2000 II

goodolpg

Just an old fart trying to help.
Subscriber
I saw these on Northern Michigan CL, Oct. 5.
Don't want to post the link as I believe that would be supposed to be only posted in $ and cents section.
Listed as
Sony Surround Sound Stereo and Classic Infinity Speakers

I had to dig deep to even figure out what they are. Klaus's site (my go-to site for Infinity) didn't have pictures of these.
Looks like at least one woofer has been replaced, who knows if the Walsh's are there and functional.
As much as I check CL and ebay I have to say I sure haven't seen these come up for sale often.
Just posting here to see if anyone has experience with that model, or maybe someone might be interested in them.

They are now on ebay with much better pictures.
Realistic woofers, one tweeter is a replacement, one Walsh pictured is all bent up.
Glad I didn't choose to pursue them based on the one CL picture.
Thought they were rare enough I'd mention them here.
Oh well.

I have a pair of these .. they are surprisingly good sounding albit my walsh tweeters need a rebuild i picked them up with a pair of bullet horn tweeters (think realistic mach 2) pointing straight upward and they do a nice open airy bounce off the walls .. nice peerless normal tweeter .. good mid range and they go quite low

The 2000 II is a great mid-70's Infinity speaker with all of it's original components intact but finding a pair of the original CTS doped paper cone woofers can be a challenge. As far as the Walsh tweeters go, there are excellent new replacements available from an ebay vendor with whom I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer, but the price of a pair along with the price of original woofers if they can be found would likely make the project too costly.

I have a pair of 2000II's as well as several other models available during the same period and among them the 2000 II's are my favorites.

Attached is a nice catalog shot.

Attachments

• 2000II_Cat5.jpg
    2000II_Cat5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 29
There was one doped woofer on ebay this week, not sure if it was the correct one for this application.
The "new" Walsh tweeters were also listed, didn't that seller state he was done producing them at the end of this year?

The 2000II's caught my eye mostly because of their "rarity" but as mentioned bringing them back to original condition will not be cheap.
Too bad as they are priced right and not that far away from me.

My walsh are in good shape just bad VC i opend them up to look to see if i could maybe soler them but to small for my eyes thats probably what Dr Marksey has some experience ;-) with doing stiches or something so i will probably leave it up to him to do the repair .. mine are fully restored just need tweets . in very good condition i got both the soft and hard tops for them too :) and an original pamphlet

There was one doped woofer on ebay this week, not sure if it was the correct one for this application.

I just saw that one available ebay woofer and it is the correct driver although a bit pricey I thought. Buying them in pairs is advantageous as it is desirable to have both with the identical doping pattern, thickness, etc. as it seems that Infinity did this process by hand to "tune" each set of drivers and they are often quite different from pair to pair, or at least that's been my experience with all of the ones I have either installed or in storage in my spares stash. However given how difficult it can sometimes be to find them you often have to take what you can get.

Searching on ebay for both "Infinity woofer" and "CTS woofer", or even just "CTS" can often bring more results.

As one additional side note, unless the Peerless KO40 paper cone midrange drivers have already been refoamed they will likely need to be as the gritty coating that was applied to the reverse roll surrounds is often all that is holding things together, the underlying foam having completely disintegrated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom