Fall New England FrankenFest time - Saturday October 17th - Spread the word!

If you like I can bring the switcher that I built for my vintage receiver comparison.
It can switch either speaker level or RCA cable (simultaneously) and has a wired remote.

Anyone interested in doing a demo on the proper use of Deoxit? I have been using it with some success by by trial and error. I would really appreciate seeing someone who knows what they are doing do a demo. I have candidates for treatment to bring. I suspect others do as well.

If you like I can bring the switcher that I built for my vintage receiver comparison.
It can switch either speaker level or RCA cable (simultaneously) and has a wired remote.

Jim, yes please on the remote switchbox!, that would be much appreciated. -seeing that (at the 1st or 2nd 'Fest I attended) inspired my thoughts w/ the with preamps to do much the same thing.

Anyone interested in doing a demo on the proper use of Deoxit? I have been using it with some success by by trial and error. I would really appreciate seeing someone who knows what they are doing do a demo. I have candidates for treatment to bring. I suspect others do as well.

I can certainly discuss and give you a quick demo (Deoxit helped greatly in restoring one of the pre-amps I will be bringing..) but I am sure there will be others far more expert & experienced than I - Bring it on! I'll bring some and cleaner + tools.

Last edited:
I'd like to bring a so/so Gemini brand preamp to compare with some better regarded preamps to get an idea of what the difference would be.

Some good news, we have space in the big room next to me. I'll tape off the candle shop and we'll have two rows from the slider to the windows.
Also we'll have some additional space upstairs where Peter's office was.
I will have some work in progress in the shop and I'll ask everyone to give that a wide berth.

Frank C.

I'll be doing another 'tune up' shop thing. Will have a variac, scope, sig generator, and some basic stuff if anyone if looking to get their gear checked out/assessed. Will be charging a sliding scale $20-40 depending how much work is needed etc. Looking forward to this!

I'll be doing another 'tune up' shop thing. Will have a variac, scope, sig generator, and some basic stuff if anyone if looking to get their gear checked out/assessed. Will be charging a sliding scale $20-40 depending how much work is needed etc. Looking forward to this!

Put me in line. Bringing my Scott LK-72 for demoing upstairs, so maybe first thing you can check it out?

I too will bring a Scott integrated, can't remember the model though. Phono stage is doing some funky static thing.

Hi guy's, I am fairly new to the forum, only 138 posts but I love this site. I am not very technical in the sense of repairing electronics so that kind of stuff goes over my head but I love that many people here are and are willing to help. I am in central mass about 20 minutes away from the GTG and I will be attending. It will be my 1st GTG so I am looking forward to having some fun. I am thinking of bringing a pair of speaker I got of CL to see what you guys think of them. Here is a pic of the speakers I am talking about, SR 70 High performance stereo.

08e8d4e9-d1c8-4bf6-9f50-08902832628b_zpsa8k8mfgn.jpg

As of now, yes. Same room upstairs as last fest. I'll try to get permission to use the unoccupied half of the big room we've been using for trading/selling but prospects are dismal. Dunno, people are just weird.

Anyway, be nice to see all of you :)

fcc

Not sure where we are W/ the upstairs "Champagne" room as someone dubbed it -

If it dovetails w/ others needs and set ups, I'd like to schedule a listening comparison of 4 (mostly) restored vintage tube pre-amps, using the same source, amps and speakers, so only the pre-amps will be changed. Jim (W1Jim) has kindly offered to bring and loan his famous remote hot-switcher to make this happen, and Don V. is loaning another switch box if needed. Todd MacDona is bringing an intriguing SS preamp to break up the tube glow - I hope it will be interesting, and honestly do not know what to expect.

Might I suggest we schedule this at 2PM till say three, if that works with others set ups, schedules? I plan to get there by 10:30 or 11, so somewhat flexible....

As a teaser, and I think I mentioned it above: Gear-
Turntable (Dual 702 I think), CD Player into P.U.T (Pre-amp under Test) / Dyanco Pas3x, HH Scott #130, Marantz 7C and Heathkit SP-2 into Quad II PP 5881 / KT-66 amps into B&W Matrix 1 speakers. I am seeing keeping this informal, no scoring sheets as yet as I am not that clever and do not have the needed vocabulary / ear coordination.

IF anyone has too much free space in the car / truck, that room could always use some damping - I will bring what ugly comforters / rugs / dog blankets I can, but more would help greatly I think to tame the harsh reflections in that room.

Will also make signs to direct interested people upstairs and away from the wallet damaging big room!

Looking forward to Saturday - cheers

Hi folks,

So, looking ahead a week, what is the plan for meeting up for the ALS walk? I've joined Don's team (Don's Skippers) on the ALS site. My mom & dad will be in from out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to attend the Fest (which makes me super sad...first time in years that I won't be attending!). So, I thought I'd post something here in order to try and get some information/feedback on coordinating for the walk. Let me know if there is a plan in place of which I am unaware.

I have been reading the subscribers thread on this get together. Just to let everyone know, there is a lot of gear for sale. Some will make it to the fest, some won't due to space in cars. If you have been on the fence about subscribing, maybe you should bite the bullet and do it now to peruse the huge thread of deals.
Just sayin.

I'm bringing my LK-72 Tube amp, my KLH Twenty Threes my ipod w/DAC, and a TT for the listening room.
I thought it would be interesting to bring my Mitch Cotter MC amplifier aka "Blue Brick". Does anyone have a low output MC cart already mounted to a head shell they could bring to compare a MM vs. MC amplified cart for the event? I don't have a MC cart yet.

Thanks in advance and see you all Saturday!

I'll be there early for those wanting to get their stuff looked at before demoing it, also if theres interest I'll bring at least one of my tube testers.

Back
Top Bottom