Any Oppo BD-105 owners ?

stereofun

Hopefully this is the right forum ? - curious to know if there are any oppo BD-105 owners around here. I just bought one and was wondering what others think - also have some questions.

Cheers!

I have a 105D. Maybe I can help with your question. Otherwise, there is an 'Owner's Thread' if you google the model number. Very knowledgeable group over there too.

Sound quality is good, nothing mind blowing. Very versatile, and well built unit with excellent customer/tech support. Can't ask for much more than what is already provided.

p.s. Just noticed that I'm a 'New Member' again.

Last edited:
I have the 105d also, very pleased with the unit. I hardly use it as a CD player however as my CD's are ripped to alac or dsd and then played through Audivarna+ with the 105d being my standalone dac. With the latest firmware adding Tidal, Tidal streaming also gets heavy use.

Best player and DAC I've owned. The Pioneer DV45A it replaces now sounds bright, harsh and fatiguing to listen to. I can actually play digital now without gritting my teeth unconsciously. But that's the end of the upgrade chain for me. The 105 works well in my system, well enough that I don't care to look beyond for diminishing returns. I also use it primarily to play from my network box (a Synology DS214play) and for now, only spin SACD in it since I don't yet have a PS3 to rip the DSD to a file. I rarely use the video portion of the player.

Thanks guys, and also for the tip about a dedicated owners thread. So far I am very impressed. Pandora for instance, sounds pretty amazing for just being 128K. Picture is superb and IMO CD playback is on par with a top of the line consumer line CD player, albeit not reference class.

I am a vintage amp guy so I cant comment on its integration into an av receiver nor its surround capabilities - for now I am just enjoying a rich and very detailed sound through a completely restored and heavily modded Sansui Au-999.

Some questions:
- Mine runs pretty hot, never to the point where I cant keep a palm on the top cover, but close enough that I just wanted to ask ?.
- Did any of you notice some break-in time ? It sounded a bit boxed in at first, now 30-40 hours in, it seems to be getting more transparent and relaxed in its presentation. Perhaps just my/ears brain adjusting.
- Any peculiarities you've noticed, any mods or enhancements you'd come across ?

Thanks for your input!

- Mine runs warm too, but I don't think this is unusual. At least it does not have the cooling fan that the previous generation Oppo had...
- Couldn't tell you. I was initially using mine with blu rays, and really just started delving into using it for streaming, CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, and Blu-ray audio. Moving Pictures on Blu ray audio is incredible.
- Peculiarities? Once in a blue moon, when I start the 105D, it takes >30 seconds to be ready to accept a disc. It appears like its processing something, then is eventually ready. I've had mine for about a year, and this has happened maybe 4 or 5 times. With the relatively low occurrence, combined with stellar tech support, I'm not too worried about it.

I like how all the outputs are on when playing audio. I have the balanced out to an ARC system, the RCAs to a 9090DB, and the HDMI to my SSP, and I don't need to go into the menu to activate or inactivate outputs.

Some really minor gripes:
- It was supposed to have a decent head amp, but I've been disappointed with it. My comparison is with standalone HP amps, so I guess its really not fair, but still...
- I use the Oppo media player to stream my audio files off my NAS, and I wish it had a better layout. SONOS is so much better at this.

That's all I can think of.

Enjoy your new toy!!

Mine runs warm also, but not a big deal. As mentioned above, at least it doesn't have the fan. No desire to get mods and possibly have my player not work right in the future.

Thanks for all your inputs - here some 50 hours in, I've have had time to test out its video capabilities including the Darbee processor. - I am really stoked about the performance. Something that struck is that the performance gain is on all fronts so to speak - from the Audio quality of youtube videos to the HD picture quality of Netflix and vice verse.

Someone smarter than I am must have figured out the ins and outs of the Droid app with a 105D. What I want to do and haven't figured out how is: when listening to YouTube videos via the Oppo, I cannot figure out how to get the cursor into the search field so I can use the Droid keyboard rather than the clunky hunt-and-peck onscreen one. Anyone?

I really like the DAC in it. I use it as the input for all my digital sources. If I only used digital sources I would use it as a pre amp since it has variable volume. The smart TV like features are nice, we watch NetFlix with it all the time. If you get some more amps you can use the analogue outputs for 5.1 since all the channels are separately adjustable.

I have had a few glitches while playing but they always have resolved themselves with a restart.

The human/machine interface isn't as good as it should be however. Playing FLACs from an external drive is a clunky process, so much so that I run FLACs through my PC. I wish I could use a keyboard with it. I'm hoping the next generation has a built in TV/FM tuner, then I could hook it up to cable too.

I have no issues using FLAC from a network drive. I have the artists sorted into folders, then simply drill down through them in the app. Once I find the album, I tap the first track and it starts playing. Doing it via remote is not very handy.

I could play them back using UPnP from the Serviio server, but I find I don't need that extra step, unless I create a playlist.

What's nice is that I can play Tidal by using the Oppo app. I only wish they did that with Pandora. Turning on the TV to operate it is clumsy.

Back
Top Bottom