Wharfedale Owners Thread

Nice 90d's JM. Good luck with your search. I have The Fisher XP-10's that I need to replace the tweeters on and those ar eno longer viable so new alternatives will have to do.

My websurfing setup is on life support right now, and I'm having a tough time surfing around the various parts of AK (and other sites) and accessing certain things (Thankfully, this thread hasn't been a problem, probably because it's always been one of my regular stops). I'm working on a solution, but in the meantime, I hope folks can bear with me. Truly-sorry for the inconvenience.

Somehow that last paragraph got typoed. I corrected it in the above quote though.

Last edited:
Just replaced a bad Mid-Woof in one of my W70 speakers (Thanks 2sixR). Now, what to do with the bad speaker. It reads open on the DMM. Can these be repaired? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

I just opened my W70D to see what's inside so I can start looking for caps for a recap and this is what I found. Recap already done. Speakers bothe date to 11/67. Anyone know what these caps are. Looked like they said sprague under the tape. I didn't fiddle to much. What kind of caps are better for these speakers? Should I worry about it. I also get a him if I try to turn it up a little. Being powered with a 2245 Marantz.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 47
Just recapped my W70 with Parts Express metalized film caps 4MF and they sound very treble-y and harsh.

Captain obvious is wondering if I made a bad choice of parts. Likely going back to original caps.

Just de-capped and went back to the original caps. The magic is back. Good thing, really tired of taking the backs off. The lamination is coming off the back of one cabinet.

I'm calling it done!

It dawns on me that there are a few things at play simultaneously. My receiver (Sony STR 7055) needs some work, controls are scratchy. The cap adventure. The cabling adventure from my recording interface. Speaker replacement. Sheesh.

I need to throttle back and obsess a bit less.

The big thing is my Sherwood S8000 should be done in a few weeks. Then I can do some more critical listening.

Very much looking forward to that.

You need some PIOs my friend. Check out some Russian caps.
Hey there, guys. Sorry I've been away so long (I'm actually on a borrowed device today... Trying to work all that out... My computer AND Kindle both died on me around the same time, and my mother turned 70 in November, so I HAD to do something special for her, so basically, I didn't have enough left in my budget to deal with the computer/web-surfing issues... I'll get back on track though).

I agree about oil caps. I wasn't happy with Dayton polypropylene caps in my W90's, and Brian wasn't happy with Solen poly caps in his W70's. Both of us have oil caps in them now and are much happier with the results. The important thing is not to lose that musicality, and certain modern caps rob them of that. And the old oil caps have the musicality as well as an openness that brings the old Wharfies to life. Synergy is a funny thing, you know? Tubes are kinda the same way, how they bring that 3D life and musicality to the sound, and that's an essential part of the old Wharfie charm. It's like how '60's LP's sound so right on the old idler-driven turntables. It's all about synergy.

Thanks GT.

Very interesting about the polypropylene caps.

Looks like the Russian caps can be had for a reasonable price (~$10 per pair and up). Lengthy delivery time. I'm guessing just click to buy and worry about any import fees if they happen?

Currently there are "ACUSHNET ACU-CAP 8uf 150v Bathtub Cap - P30ZN5 - PIO - 20%" on the auction site. Do you guys know anything about this brand? I'm tempted to pick up 4 of them at that price for my W90 tweets. I did a google search and not much info about their sonics...

I would say 20% is a little high. I would look more in the 10% range.

In regards to the Russian caps, mine cost about $13 each with about $10 each for shipping. There were no other fees. Mine took approximately 2 weeks to arrive in Massachusetts from Ukraine.

I would say 20% is a little high

Thanks! I wouldnt havent realized otherwise. Appreciate your advice. I have some 24uf russion PIO on the way for the mids! Going to hold out a little longer for a set of four 8uf caps so all 4 of my W90s have the same caps in each

Just got my second pair of W60's. Have been looking for a pair of 70's(with the original drivers...find my earlier posts about why) but these came up for a good price locally, with legs and recapped with GE oil filled caps, both with original alnico drivers, so I couldn't resist. Serial numbers both in the 51xxx range, and they date to 1962. One of the pots is a bit scratchy on one, so I'll probably be opening them up to see if I can rectify that, but otherwise they sound and look incredible.

00O0O_cWIAeM2Mg1R_600x450.jpg

00p0p_kGcn8ngY8Gs_600x450.jpg

00404_kna5wI3QO7g_600x450.jpg

00P0P_59wZR1TvT2t_600x450.jpg

Sberger, those are amazing! They look like they've just come out of the factory. Absolutely love the legs on them as well!

I agree. They are beauties.

I am now squarely on the side of oil filled cap converts. While I had no issue at all with the Jantzen polys I used in my other pair, the GE oil caps in these really bring the overall presentation to another level, especially when turning up the volume. Everything just pops open and I hear and feel just the most wonderful, full attack. Kick drums now take on another dimension entirely. Horns, guitars, everything wakes up. Bigger is the best way I can describe it. Amazing on both small group and larger jazz orchestral stuff

Couldn't be more pleased. Almost like the audio spirits took pity on me for my W70 misadventure and decided to deliver an early Xmas present to me.

Two nice things happened to me this weekend.

First, I had a completely free Saturday night, so I spent a couple of hours just listening to my system (Sony STR-7055 + W70's). I tend to get all caught up in the researching, repairing and all the other stuff. It's good to remember that listening is what it's all about. Found some very nicely mixed CD's (Rodney Crowell - Tarpaper Sky is really nice). Also noted that my receiver is due for a de-oxit treatment. This will come sometime soon, but no rush.

Second, I stopped at a used record shop here in St. Louis. First thing that struck me was the music he was playing sounded wonderful. When I looked at the speakers - Wharfedale W60's. Small world.

Happy Monday to you all.

Two nice things happened to me this weekend.

First, I had a completely free Saturday night, so I spent a couple of hours just listening to my system (Sony STR-7055 + W70's). I tend to get all caught up in the researching, repairing and all the other stuff. It's good to remember that listening is what it's all about. Found some very nicely mixed CD's (Rodney Crowell - Tarpaper Sky is really nice). Also noted that my receiver is due for a de-oxit treatment. This will come sometime soon, but no rush.

Second, I stopped at a used record shop here in St. Louis. First thing that struck me was the music he was playing sounded wonderful. When I looked at the speakers - Wharfedale W60's. Small world.

Happy Monday to you all.

Cool store! No surprise to me on the 60's. I can't listen to enough music through them.

Last weekend I finally replaced all the wiring in the one W90 that had the rubber sheathing cracking off all over the mid/tweeter array. So this is the first time ive heard the W90s recapped and I am STUNNED. What is really surprising is how good they sound flipped upside down on top of another pair of W90s (haven't hooked up the bottom pair yet because im waiting on caps to arrive). Listening to Snarky Puppy's orchestral live album "Sylva" last night my jaw dropped multiple times. I cant believe I went for so long (almost 2 months) without listening to these precious things!

Back
Top Bottom