KLF-10 or Heresy's?

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently had my Mac MC40 tube monoblock amps electrically restored and have been listening to them with a borrowed pair of KLF-10 speakers. There is a pair of original Heresy's not far from me at a reasonable price and I'm wondering if I should get them or look for something else. Don't have room or the money for La Scalas and the like. I also see a lot of other newer models of Klipsch on CL and wonder if any of them are good or not. I can't complain about the sound of the KLF-10's, I rather enjoy listening to them. I'm just looking for the best affordable match up for my little Mac amps that I can find.
Thanks

BillWojo

keep the KLF10 upgrade the diaphragms in the tweeters to the Bob Crites titanium diaphragms and damp the back side of the horn with some dynamat or hushmat type (constrained layer damping material) which ever you can get most inexpensively at the local car audio install shop or on line. Also that upgrade the capacitors in the networks Bob can sell you quality caps of the right value and for a good price and all sent to you in one package and postal fee. Best bang for your dollar can't find a better man to deal with they don't get any better.

You can read my sig to know I am biased toward the Heresy, but I've read in another thread here that Heresy's respond positively to tube amps in the low frequencies. Perhaps someone with a better memory can recall that post?

Found the thread discussing tube amps. This is a good post from member Pauln on the thread entitled, "Heresy light on Bass" The entire thread is here.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heresy-light-on-bass.671032/#post-8952712

I copied the specific part in which Pauln talks about tube amps and Heresy.

"Tube amps use output transformers; the impedance curve for the Heresys has a low of about 11ohms in the bass and has a rising elevation in the highs topping out around 70ohms.

That rising impedance elevation has a calming effect on how the horns respond to a tube amp - it is a general characteristic of the tube-horn combination and does tend to present what sounds like an overall shift from the relative brightness one may hear from using some solid state amps.

The 11ohm low means that the amp will not strain to apply bass power to the speaker... an easy load.

As far as more bass from tube amps; they are different from solid state. The SS amp output has close to zero output impedance whereas a tube amp's output impedance will be a few ohms... this is where the damping factor comes from. Tube amps have low damping factors so the woofers are not as tightly controlled. In some speakers that already have a "tight" woofer like the Hersey (low excursion, higher bass roll off, sealed cab without port) this sounds like increased bass response.

Also, in a tube amp, the output impedance seen by the tubes is the load impedance of the output transformer (OT), and the output impedance seen by the OT is the load impedance of the speakers... the OT is doing a lot of things between the tubes and the speakers that results in the "tube sound".

In a lot of electronics, transformers are just a necessary utility component providing the needs for the more exciting components to do their thing. In tube amps, the output transformers are typically the most expensive and highest quality (and heaviest) components of the amp - very much the heart and voice of the amp."

no matter what amp you care to use you will not get a Heresy (any version) to play as low as a KLF10 will play. The KLF10 will give you a wider range than the Heresy can with your amp. The horn in the KLF10 is a modern better sounding design with lower distortion and more than double the range compare to the old K700/K701 of the Heresy. Pick you poison it's you cup.
Just so you know I have had and modified a pair of Heresy as well as having two sets of Heresy 3 which are extremely modified. The list of other Klipsch includes Forte, Forte ll, Quartet, three sets of KLF20 and one set of RB61. I would not buy any new speaker which included a K700/K701 or K600/K601 as they are outdated designs which require a lot of work to make them sound good and they still won't sound as good as the newer designs, they are not used in any of the modern pro equipment.

Deciding on speakers is tough. Been there and I only offer this to assist: I've owned Chorus II, Khorns, KLF-20, KLF-30, KLF-10 & heard LaScala's, Heresy, Forte & some KG models a few times at other homes. Still have the KLF-10 with Crites and modded KLF-20's. The 10's go VERY deep, with gusto and can even sound too bass heavy if one isn't careful with room placement. Still very efficient. None of the harshness that many of the other models need tweaks to tame. Did I mention they can be found for $300 here and there. You can save yourself a lot of time and money, speaker shopping, if you talk your friend out of the borrowed KLF-10's. :D

How did the Crites diaphragms and damping affect the sound?
I have KLF 10's and they seem to have harsh treble sometimes and maybe lacking midrange.

keep the KLF10 upgrade the diaphragms in the tweeters to the Bob Crites titanium diaphragms and damp the back side of the horn with some dynamat or hushmat type (constrained layer damping material) which ever you can get most inexpensively at the local car audio install shop or on line. Also that upgrade the capacitors in the networks Bob can sell you quality caps of the right value and for a good price and all sent to you in one package and postal fee. Best bang for your dollar can't find a better man to deal with they don't get any better.

the ti tweeter diaphragms are smoother and have a little more extension they can also play louder without stress. I have had 100% success with Bob's ti tweeter diaphragms never a failure while I have had several failures with Klipsch ti tweeter diaphragms, as a result I prefer to buy Bob's tweeter diaphragms. Constrained layer damping does exactly what you would expect it damps the horn body eliminating any ring or echo, the treated horn sounds solid and dead when you knock it with your knuckle. A layer of dynamat covering your tweeter's pole piece (under the diaphragm) will also help a lot as will a pure wool felt pad on top of the dynamat (F-11 Acoustical Felt is best) held in place with three small dots of craft glue like Aleene's original Tacky Glue. Make sure the felt is clear of the voice coil gap and does not touch the diaphragm. These last two mods will make an enormous improvement in sound quality.

the ti tweeter diaphragms are smoother and have a little more extension they can also play louder without stress. I have had 100% success with Bob's ti tweeter diaphragms never a failure while I have had several failures with Klipsch ti tweeter diaphragms, as a result I prefer to buy Bob's tweeter diaphragms. Constrained layer damping does exactly what you would expect it damps the horn body eliminating any ring or echo, the treated horn sounds solid and dead when you knock it with your knuckle. A layer of dynamat covering your tweeter's pole piece (under the diaphragm) will also help a lot as will a pure wool felt pad on top of the dynamat (F-11 Acoustical Felt is best) held in place with three small dots of craft glue like Aleene's original Tacky Glue. Make sure the felt is clear of the voice coil gap and does not touch the diaphragm. These last two mods will make an enormous improvement in sound quality.
Thanks for the info!

I owned both KLF10 and Heresy, I can tell you that the KLF10 will blow the Heresy all day long. The KLF's have a lot better bass and if you upgrade the tweeters, it is a day and night difference!
I am not saying the Heresy are bad but they did not do it for me, I bought even stands for them as some people suggest online and it still did not do it, I tried them in few rooms and different positions and still not satisfying.
I used the KLF10 for few years and now I am proud owner of the big brothers KLF30's, these speakers hit the spot, you want it loud, they will shake the house with 0 distortion, the sound quality is great too! I also have a pair of KLF20's that is waiting to be put in use!
Keep in mind that the KLF10's are twice as big as the Heresy so you will need some space!

I owned both KLF10 and Heresy, I can tell you that the KLF10 will blow the Heresy all day long. The KLF's have a lot better bass and if you upgrade the tweeters, it is a day and night difference!
I am not saying the Heresy are bad but they did not do it for me, I bought even stands for them as some people suggest online and it still did not do it, I tried them in few rooms and different positions and still not satisfying.
I used the KLF10 for few years and now I am proud owner of the big brothers KLF30's, these speakers hit the spot, you want it loud, they will shake the house with 0 distortion, the sound quality is great too! I also have a pair of KLF20's that is waiting to be put in use!
Keep in mind that the KLF10's are twice as big as the Heresy so you will need some space!
KLF10 only require more vertical space than a Heresy. The KLF10 has a compact footprint. Getting the centre of the tweeter horn on the KLF10 to centre on your seated ear height will result in the best stage and image qualities. Yes make the jump to Ti tweeter diaphragms on the KLF10 for best SQ.

If the Heresys are at a good price, get them and compare! That's the only way you learn what you like and the differences. You can always resell them!
I have had Heresys for a long time but only started listening in last 3 years since I built an HT room.. I went thru KLF 20s, Forte 1, Tangent 400.. and I am back with my Heresies. They all sound different and what you like may depend on your room!.

I used a pair of KLF-10s for many years with an MC275. Bought them new.
They sound great.

I just upgraded to KLF-20s.
They sound better, but are pretty hard to find.

KLF-10s still sound great.

I don’t know if this will answer your question but I have owned all the heritage speakers ( Klipschorns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Chorus, Forte, Heresy) all the KG speakers and all the KLF series, along with fewer new speakers such as the RF7. Let’s not mention synergy series.....
The only Klipsch I still own now are the Legend series KLF 30’s....3 sets with a C7 center in my surround sound system. These are not going anywhere....
Ed

I don’t know if this will answer your question but I have owned all the heritage speakers ( Klipschorns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Chorus, Forte, Heresy) all the KG speakers and all the KLF series, along with fewer new speakers such as the RF7. Let’s not mention synergy series.....
The only Klipsch I still own now are the Legend series KLF 30’s....3 sets with a C7 center in my surround sound system. These are not going anywhere....
Ed

i hear you, i am the same way
318C1202-D80E-412A-BDD0-A3ACDEB737A9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom