SEMIT Substitutes? My Kappa 9's need one.

kve777

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Since my Kappa 9's have a blown Semit, and trying to find one is proving impossible, I was thinking of swapping both out for a pair of Soft Dome's, like the Infinity REF-075tx car audio tweeters.
I figure I could easily market the good one to pay for those(I'm not offering it, Mr. Moderator) if I go this way.
My concerns are:
1) How will it sound? Is this too much of a departure from the intended design to blend in?
2) Would doing this be unacceptable to a possible future owner? I usually don't keep gear forever. (They are not for sale, nor am I looking for a valuation, here)
3) Would I have to mod the crossover? I do not want to do this, if at all possible, as it would be infinitly more difficult to undo in the future. Just adding a cap/resistor at this tweeter would be acceptable, as it's easy to reverse.

If someone knows of an acceptable driver to use, soft dome, ribbon, horn, I don't care as long as it costs less than a SEMIT(if I ever find one) and I don't have to hack the cabinets or the crossovers, please share the knowledge.

Once fixed, I will try powering these with a pair of Carver Silver Seven t's amplifiers. If I like it enough, these will be my 'keep for the rest of my life' amps and speakers.

Thank you,

Kevin

Honestly I think you'd be better off replacing them with another EMIT than any soft dome. But search for tweeters from the RS-4000 or RS-5000; although (I just did a Google image search) some of them appear to use a standard EMIT, the EMITs on mine were the same as the SEMIT with a different faceplate (but the same shape; just different lettering). There have been discussions on AK that this tweeter is equivalent to the SEMIT (and if you consider that the EMIT already goes above 40khz, does it really make much difference?).

There's a pair of RS 4000 emits on ebay right now.
Look for....
Infinity 902-2645 Emit Tweeters

Not mine, no affil.
Perhaps the face plates could be changed if desired, use your kappa faceplates with those emits.

There's a pair of RS 4000 emits on ebay right now.
Look for....
Infinity 902-2645 Emit Tweeters

Not mine, no affil.
Perhaps the face plates could be changed if desired, use your kappa faceplates with those emits.
Bought them! Thank you. I guess I missed them when I looked.

ALL SET NOW! A great community at work.

I was thinking of removing the screws and putting the SEMIT plate over the EMIT, drill holes as needed, but not take the faceplate off. A bit of flat black paint will make the edges disappear.

That's probably a lot more work than it's worth. The faceplate holds the entire structure together.

I've often seen mentioned where with the "original" size EMITS which were produced in several variants that it's possible to just purchase same size EMITs and just exchange faceplates if needed. Or is more of a diaphragm exchange type of deal?
That is not possible with the SEMITs?

I suppose the OP could just put the new diaphragms into his old housings for the purpose of keeping his Kappas "original".

I've never seen that mentioned. Some versions were produced with both rectangular and round faceplates, and one style (for the Qe) was mounted on an additional plate to allow for rotation depending on the speaker's orientation.

Swapping out a diaphragm is certainly doable (as replacement diaphragms used to be sold by Infinity) but as I mentioned above, it's probably more work than it's worth, and there is always a risk of damage.

Bought them! Thank you. I guess I missed them when I looked.

ALL SET NOW! A great community at work.

Good buy! I saw those earlier today too. I started to buy them, for spares, but I'm glad that I didn't! You needed them, I didn't.

Also, those RS-4000 Emits should be a direct replacement for your Semits. So, you could use them as-is, or just swap the Semit face plates over to the new tweeters.

Oh yea, those RS-4000 tweeters usually sell for much less money that the Semits. I've seen Semits 'offered' at $200 a pair. I bought my pair of RS-4000 Emits for $25.

Good luck.

^ That right there is what I was talking about...swapping face plates.
Fact, or urban legend?

If possible, wouldn't it be easier to just swap face plates as opposed to swapping diaphragms?
Maybe a jig is needed to do either?

Hopefully this thread will help others in the future regarding similar questions.

I would switch the diaphragms out, I tested with a gauss meter and found that the kappas use slightly stronger magnets.

I would switch the diaphragms out, I tested with a gauss meter and found that the kappas use slightly stronger magnets.

X2...Make a jig and take them apart. A jig can be made out of a block of wood and 2 finish nails. Remove two screws from your emit (opposite corners). Lay the emit on the block of wood. Mark where the empty holes are. Get 2 finish nails with heads that will fit through the screw holes. Nail them into the block of wood where the marks are leaving around 1 1/2" or so sticking out. (Yes, use a big finish nails or a regular nails with the head cut off). Place the emit over the nails against the wood. Slowly unscrew the other two screws a little each time. The magnets will want to spread apart as you go. The fixture is necessary so they don't click together ruining the diaphragm. Once apart note how the diaphragm is in there and replace it again using the fixture...easy peasy
Jim

Back
Top Bottom