Sansui Au417: Cut bait?

Hmmm, last seen July 25 - that doesn't sound good. Hopefully no catastrophic event for the generous Super.

I have no idea if this is the case, just a random thought of mine that I've had in the past~
Since I've provided the master password to my password locker to family in case I get run over by a milk truck, I should probably also give them a list of the forums I frequent so that family can update\tie up loose ends in case of something catastrophic.

In other words, how many of us have responsibilities\friendships that would just seemingly be abandoned in case of something awful. I would want to avoid that if possible.

Hmmm, last seen July 25 - that doesn't sound good. Hopefully no catastrophic event for the generous Super.

I have no idea if this is the case, just a random thought of mine that I've had in the past~
Since I've provided the master password to my password locker to family in case I get run over by a milk truck, I should probably also give them a list of the forums I frequent so that family can update\tie up loose ends in case of something catastrophic.

In other words, how many of us have responsibilities\friendships that would just seemingly be abandoned in case of something awful. I would want to avoid that if possible.

Point taken - especially from somebody that did work like that.

Free repairs tend to be open ended

That's not how I see it. If I repair something for free I am in possession of property I do not own so I take the same approach as a cost repair. I think there is an expectation from the owner to get his equipment back in a timely manner, not hold onto it for months at a time. Maybe something happened to the volunteer of the repair in this case which is never good. I hope it works out for both parties involved.

It really complicates things if something happened to him that is final.
Possession is 9/10

I'm not sure what's going on. I have traded emails with him several times, with him saying he'd ship it back when he gets around to it. The last time was in September. He's since stopped responding to my emails. I don't want to be a jerk, he's been really really nice, but I haven't heard from him in a while and I would like that amp back.

Oh well. I've since moved on and have plenty of other audio toys to mess with. I have matching tuner, EQ and tape deck, all with rack handles, if anyone is interested.

While this may not have turned out the way either of you expected, have you offered to partially reimburse the man? On the surface it sounds as if he is/was out of pocket in more ways than one.

Last edited:

You remind me of an enthusiastic solar-power member that installed a system on her own. A full detail of the Install preceded the 'christening', only to never be heard from again after the switch was supposedly thrown. Did someone get hurt or embarrassed (if the Install failed)? The solar-power forum has not seen an update from that member since. It occurred about 3 years ago.

Absolutely. I've asked repeatedly for his costs plus shipping. I've also asked him to send it back in whatever condition, no worries at all. He's indicated in the past that's done, but that was some time ago.

You remind me of an enthusiastic solar-power member that installed a system on her own. A full detail of the Install preceded the 'christening', only to never be heard from again after the switch was supposedly thrown. Did someone get hurt or embarrassed (if the Install failed)? The solar-power forum has not seen an update from that member since. It occurred about 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, I remind you of who? Possibly this quote was meant for someone else? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Okay - to follow up and also confirm: I am indeed a card carrying member of Assholes Anonymous.

Heard from Super. Life has intervened on his end in a variety of bad ways (jobs, family) and some good (he now has something called a fiancee). Either way, 2015 sounds like it's been eventful for him and absolutely stuffed with things far more important than a AU-417 charity case. He has however done the work he promised to do and sent the amp back today. It..Is..Amazing. Superlatives leap to mind but I'm not sure they'd even apply. Really really fun - one of those odd moments of stereo dorkdom when your gear takes another step forward and you can listen to all the same old discs all over again. It gives me the chance to set up a sansui stack and pull the pioneer off the line for a tune up and upgraded phono stage, something I've been itching to try for some time. Anyway, I feel terrible for being impatient and can confirm, without a shadow of doubt, that it was worth the wait.

That's great, love it when a story has a happy ending. Sounds like you've both acquired something good!

Sorry it took so long, sadly I had all the boards done an rebuilt months ago and just did not have any time at home to focus on it and get it finished. I had taken a new job in Jan 15 which buried me with work then was laid off without notice the Monday after Easter. The company I went to work for lost funding and laid off nearly everyone outside of the core founders. 4 months of traveling and interviewing and I have a killer gig now! Also lots of travel, training etc getting up to speed. Toss in a side of cancer on one side of the family and heart attacks on the other plus relocating my mom over the summer = man time FLIES! Glad it sounds great, I did do the job at zero cost, all new components, caps, main filter caps, relays, transistors, the works and shipped it back at no charge. Least I could do for taking so long. This my first time on the board in 6 months or so... yikes its all different now could not even recall my password.

Attachments

• IMG_7662.JPG
    IMG_7662.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7661.JPG
    IMG_7661.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7658.JPG
    IMG_7658.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7656.JPG
    IMG_7656.JPG