I think I want an Elio.

BigElCat

Mmm Hmm
I do believe I would give $7,000 for a new enclosed trike/car. Driving centered between the front wheels would be exciting, even though they're slow.

I won't be fronting Mr. Elio incorporated any money, though. It's still too much of a gamble.

Any thoughts?

Driving without a spare might suck. It looks like the rear tire isn't the same as the front two. I bet you couldn't call Triple A, and request a rear for an Elio.

Did a little reading on the car and watched a video or two.

Not a bad idea if everyone else around you is driving one. The thought of a 4X4 Suburban or an 80,000 lb. gravel truck on my tail is a little disconcerting.

They'll probably sell like hotcakes around here.

As I said in another thread, a friend fronted a grand with them a couple years ago. Hard to pass up a new second car for $6800 bux.

Last edited:
they started out saying that production was slated for 12, now its 16, I am not sure they will ever produce a car for the public? I also am not wild about the thought of experiencing a crash in one. still the price is good and MPGs sure to be easy 60 plus and if the are still going with the Suzuki 3 cylinder it can be boosted for more power.

Negative on the Suzuki. They have their own motor now.

He's trying to raise $25 M to build a 6th prototype.

The 5th prototype does have a trunk. I wish it had an aircraft style door. I have a difficult time getting in my Metro without clipping my right ear.

you got to wonder if he would have been better off using an off the shelf motor? could have used that money to build more prototypes/ start building production cars. I think part of the problem is different states will treat it as a motorcycle or a car. four wheels makes it a car IMO?

12:1 compression with plasma coated cylinders so it will still burn cheap gas. Sounds iffy to me.

12:1 compression with plasma coated cylinders so it will still burn cheap gas. Sounds iffy to me.
They should try the silicate diffused cylinders - oh wait, that was the Chevy Vega ...

I sent the link to Wifey, and she liked what she saw, so I thought I'd go on the website and see about putting a deposit on one. A little too sketchy for me right now. They don't even have any sales/distribution sites set up yet. I'll keep my $1000 for now.

On a side note, I sold some military surplus aircraft hardware to a gentleman who restores/rebuilds old Offy motors. Maybe I can trade him some of it for one to drop in an Elio to perk it up a bit.

I don't want an Elio for anything but around town and only if everyone else is driving one. The Elio in a tussle with a behemoth pick em up truck would not be pretty (every third or fourth vehicle in McMinn County seems to be one.

Kent I agree! Okay for around town 30 mph or less as too
many bad drivers out there and they seem to miss seeing
really small cars more. I had a Festiva in the 90's so know
the issues as it was like a motorcycle to other drivers. Mind
you the blackish grey color probably didn't help!

I agree about an urban runabout, a regular sized vehicle is way over qualified for most driving.

I like the concept but agree that size difference is a hurdle. Heck, I fear driving behind landscaper truck/trailers in a compact car.

Locally (Durham, NC), there is a solar powered bike/car being manufactured called the Elf. It can do 1800 mpg and cost $5000-6000. I occasionally see them around town but not on freeways. They can do 30 mph on solar power for 15 miles but are more akin to bikes than cars.
Solo-image-website-350x350.jpg

Check out the webpage, they have three versions currently available.
http://organictransit.com/

Roger

Back
Top Bottom