Jodorowsky's "Dune" (2013)

Besides, don't they still run Wrestling (WWF or whatever they call it these days) some nights?

No. The current people running the station are making a real push back to the Sci-Fi areas. While "Defiance" was sadly cancelled after several seasons, they've been running several new shows which have been getting good reviews as fun, sci-fi entertainment. The Expanse makes its TV premier in two weeks, with a miniseries adaptation of Clarke's "Childhood's End" airing with it.

I did enjoy that quite a bit, but the last season it got heavily religious which I thought was weird.

That was always there in pretty heavy doses, something that was previously seen in RDM's earlier work on Deep Space Nine. I thought it added an interesting element - how do you react if suddenly this religious stuff starts happening, mixed in with your already upside-down lives?

Not familiar at all with The Expanse, but it sounds interesting based on the plot summary. Might have to pick up those books. I've run out of stuff to read just recently.

The books are excellent. I plowed through the first five in less than two weeks. They're very hard to put down.

Good. I like a long series that isn't a chore to read. I've read the Wheel Of Time books twice. I like them, but some of them rambled a bit too much. Much as it might seem like sacrilege, I think the last 3 in that series were my favorites and they weren't written by the original author. Robert Jordan died before finishing it, and Brandon Sanderson wrapped it up. I've enjoyed Sanderson's other works too, and I may not have been introduced to him if not for him finishing out WOT.

As for DS9, I honestly had paid no attention to any affiliation between that and BSG. I suppose no real surprise then if they shared the same producer that there might be some thematic overlap. I wasn't a huge fan of that series either, though more of it was because of Avery Brook's hammy speeches that even Shatner might have cringed at.

Good. I like a long series that isn't a chore to read. I've read the Wheel Of Time books twice. I like them, but some of them rambled a bit too much. Much as it might seem like sacrilege, I think the last 3 in that series were my favorites and they weren't written by the original author. Robert Jordan died before finishing it, and Brandon Sanderson wrapped it up. I've enjoyed Sanderson's other works too, and I may not have been introduced to him if not for him finishing out WOT.

As for DS9, I honestly had paid no attention to any affiliation between that and BSG. I suppose no real surprise then if they shared the same producer that there might be some thematic overlap. I wasn't a huge fan of that series either, though more of it was because of Avery Brook's hammy speeches that even Shatner might have cringed at.

I'll have to read the "Wheel of Time" series one of these days, due to several recommendations. RDM was just the head writer on DS9, Ira Behr was the producer. RDM handled both jobs on BSG.

I always rather liked Avery Brooks. His Sisko had a certain forcefulness that Picard lacked.

His speech patterns always sort of bugged me. Mostly when he'd go on some sort of monologue with the odd hitching and excessive emphasis on things. Sounded like a cheap revival preacher or something.

His speech patterns always sort of bugged me. Mostly when he'd go on some sort of monologue with the odd hitching and excessive emphasis on things. Sounded like a cheap revival preacher or something.

Like Shatner and Stewart, Brooks was trained as a stage actor, not a film actor. Shatner and Brooks tended to maintain those aspects of their training, while Stewart was more restrained and naturalistic on film.

DS9 didn't kill off enough red shirts ... <G>

Speaking of which, my favorite Trekkie book lately is John Scalzi's Redshirts ...

13055592.jpg

The jockeying around that goes into avoiding being low man on an away mission is hilarious. Try it, you'll like it! Another good spoof with every ST cliche imaginable is Steven Erikson's Willful Child ... Bravely going where they really shouldn't ... and the Captain makes Zapp Brannigan look like a saint! One of those so bad it's good kinda thangs ... I'd love to see that go to series on BBC with a crew similar to that of Red Dwarf ... that's Captain Smeghead if you please!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom