HK 775s, compared to a PM665?

sgleich

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking for power in another system. Curious about the 775's paired with a matching preamp. I love the sound on my PM665 and imagine I may get more of the same or better? Will they have the same tonal qualities as my PM665's? Any thoughts and experience would be helpful before I begin my search. TY

HK from that era put emphasis on achieving objective accuracy. They called it ultra-wideband frequency response. Even the lowly receivers could pass a near perfect square wave. I've heard the 775 set paired with Yamaha NS-1000M's and they sounded superb. It's been a long time since I heard a PM665VXi but from what I remembered, it also sounded sharp and clear.

Thanks. I have the non VXI version of the PM665 and it sounds perfect, or accurate at least to me.

Another question... Is it the amp in totality or the HK pre that is built into the PM665 that I like so much? Both? I guess the matching pre would be the best choice for that accuracy rather than adding warmth etc.

big difference in the 665 and pm 665 vxi the vxi is 150 watts single transformer and the 665 is dual trans and 100 watts ..

big difference in the 665 and pm 665 vxi the vxi is 150 watts single transformer and the 665 is dual trans and 100 watts ..

It's been a long time since I played with a 665VXi. IIRC, it has dual transformers. Google Images confirms my recollection.

You are correct the 655vxi is single trans former ,, It has been a while for me too , My apologies ! I had one and it was OK but those square buttons are notoriously known to need constant attention.. It kept me from looking for the 665vxi ... The 655vxi was as good on bass as my strgx10es but mids and highs, were not as REAL !

My buttons were noisy but I did a trick someone suggested over a year ago... standing on its back with the cover off (unplugged of course) flood the switches with deoxit from the faceplate and wipe excess. They are still pretty much silent still.

Thinking... just read a bit about Citation 22's... same era, high current... what would that beast be like with a 825 Pre? Same sonic character?

Google search: harman kardon ultrawideband pdf

There is a pdf for the matching 725 preamp that explains HK's design philosophy for that era.

Back
Top Bottom