KR-6600 Protection/Power Supply Problem

gort69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I don't know why I keep buying these things...

This latest one has me baffled. It powers up and the relay closes when run through a DBT, and seems to operate just fine (FM and AUX tested so far)

When plugged into the wall, no click.

The measured DC is ~40mv on both channels. I am doing most of the testing with the power amp unplugged anyway.

I have recapped both power supply boards (A & C), and have replaced all of the transistors on the A board.(the originals tested good) I used quality components, Panasonic FM & FC for the caps, Fairchild for the transistors. They are all installed correctly.

I have tested the voltages at the various pins on the A board - all test very close to spec EXCEPT for pin 5 - connected to the collector of Qk5 - which measures -31vDC where the spec calls for -23vDC. The voltages on Qk5 are: E -30.97 C-31.01 B-31.67. I have a feeling this is related to the problem. So far I have tested the following out of circuit: Rk4, Rk5, Rk10, Rk11,Rk12,Dk1, Dk3. All tested good. I even replaced the relay knowing full well that is not the problem, and it wasn't.

I read in a different 6600 thread that the emitter voltages on Qk1 and Qk5 need to be the same in order for the relay to close. On this, there is a diff of 8v.

Another interesting tidbit - the base voltage on Qk4 is .510v when plugged into the wall(no clickie), and .650v when run through the DBT. (60W bulb - relay closes)

Hoping someone can help me with this and thanks!

Edit - Here is a scan of the schematic - Power Supply "A" at the top - hope it's readable

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on the right track. QK5 base voltage is controlled by zener diode dk3 which is a 24 volt zener. My guess someone put in a regular diode instead of a zener. 24V half watt zener should get you to the right place. Good luck..

Thanks for the reply Steve - that was it! I had a parts A board and swapped in a used one. The diode that was in there had the same markings as the replacement (24xxx) and tests good with a basic MM diode check - obviously fubar however. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom