pondering a Yamaha integrated purchase

I've been playing with the DSP on jriver a bit (virtual subwoofer and enhanced surround, which widens the soundstage as little or as much as you want). Nice that you can blend these effects with dry signal, as well as add a little living room reverb for fun. Maybe judicious use of those tools could mitigate the dry-ish feel. I do like honest sound, and DSP isn't honest. I'm not fooling anyone, myself included.

I just really dig the looks of these units, and a new piece might keep me from repairs on my older stuff (for awhile, at least).

I know you said "only x01 please" but the amplifier section of the A-S500 and 501 are the same. The 501 has digital inputs added. My A-S500 played through my KEF Q300 speakers and my musician son-in-law played his band's CD through it. He said that the reproduction was excellent and it sounded as good as the sound in the recording studio. You can't do much better than that!

I only mentioned that because I'd like to buy new with full warranty, which I assume you can't do with the x00 series. Or are they still available new? Dunno.

Thanks for your response, j.

You may still find some new with a full warranty. Check Onecall.com I think it is. I'd be willing to bet you could find one there if not new then refurbed with a warranty. I bought a a-s500 customer return from them with warranty that has been great.
I only mentioned that because I'd like to buy new with full warranty, which I assume you can't do with the x00 series. Or are they still available new? Dunno.

Thanks for your response, j.

Checked it out, the A-S301 (entry-level model) is offered for $350, fifty bucks off MSRP. I missed out on a demo 501 from Music Direct in silver! Snoozing is losing... Oh well.

Thanks, Soop.

As he said, "The deals are out there!" I purchased my Yamaha A-S500 and KEF Q300 speakers from Onecall and they gave me an excellent package price for the set. Crutchfield is also a fine place to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom