Looking for a new preamp and so far the Halo P5 is looking good.

Rob41

Don't stop believin'
I'm wanting to get a new pre-amp and so far the Parasound P5 is looking pretty good.

http://www.parasound.com/p5.php

I'm currently using a Rotel RA-1312 integrated amp as a pre-amp or my Heathkit AP1800. In both cases, the preamps are only used as a means to connect and select my sources. I use my MiniDSP to control volume and as the active crossover that it is, to route the signals to the amps.

I like both of my pre-amps and all the controls with great adjustability but now that I have the MiniDSP those controls are redundant and unnecessary. Plus the frequent cleaning and lubing of controls has become tiresome.

I like that the Parasound is a 2.1 channel unit that has sub outputs and a remote control. It gets pretty good reviews and seems to be built well. There are even a couple easy mods with shielding that seem to reap improvements.

My system is a stereo only set-up with subs to augment the bottom end.

I want a new pre-amp and a remote for at least volume and source selection.

My price range is up to a maximum of about $1200.

I've searched on my own and the P5 seems to be the best fit for me but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Also, does anybody have any impressions of the P5 for better or worse?

-Rob

Thanks for the link, I knew it was here at AK somewhere. That's the shielding mods I was thinking of and it would be easy to duplicate. Might even replace some caps with higher quality film caps. I'd have to see what's in there first but it already seems like a nice preamp.

I have a P5 and like it very much. Many features, including a nice DAC, and possessing a very open, transparent sound.

I have used it between 5 different amps, two SS and three tube, and my excellent Von Schweikert floorstanding speakers. I have a Parasound D/AC-2000HD, their TOTL DAC from a few years back. I like the 2000HD's DAC better than the one in the P5, but it's pretty decent. The P5 doesn't get in the way of the music, feeding it very high quality source material, it passes that material very nicely to the amps & speakers. It's a keeper.

The fact that you've used it in so many different combinations tells me it isn't dependent on a particular combination of gear to find a synergy that's pleasing. Being neutral and being able to enjoy the music is just what I'm looking for.

I've had mine for a year or two. Love it and recommend it.

P5 replaced my Marantz 3600 and made an immediate impact. Soundstage widened and separation and clarity improved markedly. The phono pre is very good. Love the optical input for cd - I was genuinely surprised at the improvement. And I sure like having a remote.

The marantz had three band graphic eq, lots of filters and I thought I'd miss that and initially I did. I got over it pretty quick. I rarely engage the tone circuit and mostly use it to tame excess treble or help out some bass-shy recordings.

Very classy looking as well. I got the silver chassis. Hope that helps.

The P5 is also on my watch list. If you get it...I'd enjoy reading about your impressions. My current preamp is the Parasound P/LD 1100 that I bought in 1996. It still sounds great, but I like to try new gear too every 20 years or so.

Hi guys I too am in the process of buying the p5, as soon as the tax check hits the bank. I also sold a lot of my older stuff. There is a nice write up on the p5 on the polk forum, the guy goes into great detail he was testing it and a emotiva to see which one he wanted to keep.

Hi guys I too am in the process of buying the p5, as soon as the tax check hits the bank. I also sold a lot of my older stuff. There is a nice write up on the p5 on the polk forum, the guy goes into great detail he was testing it and a emotiva to see which one he wanted to keep.
That is a darn good review. Here is the link for anyone interested: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163938/emo-xsp1-gen2-vs-parasound-p5

His review compares the Parasound Halo P5, the Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2, and his existing Acoustic Research SP 16 with different tubes compared on the AR as well.

The reviewer has some very high end gear as well as many years of experience. It's interesting how well the Parasound and Emotiva preamps compared to the AR.

After reading through his very articulate impressions, my decision to go with the P5 has been solidified.

@jessbob, I hope you'll share your thoughts once you've burned in your P5.

Last edited:
I will for sure, that test and the guys on the polk forum are the main reason why I decided to buy a p5. I have a parasound HCA1500a amp and if the p5 is anything like the amp im sure I will love it because the amp is great. Sorry about not posting the link I am not very handy with the computer. Bob.

I know you guys are going to think this is dumb but its kind of important to me, which color would the blue back lighting so up best on black or silver. Anyone who owns or has seen them both please chime in. I like looking at my audio as much as I like to listen to it. Thanks guys. Bob.

Given that silver is more reflective, the blue lighting should show up more with the silver. I think it will show up really well with either color though since those blue led's can be quite bright.

I'd go with whatever color you prefer or match it up with your existing gear.

Well guys I couldn't wait any longer I ordered the p5 it will be here in a week and a half. He threw in a power cord for free. I will keep ya posted. I got the silver because I really do miss the older stuff I sold.

Well, I have to go to sea for the next 4 to 6 months so I won't have my P5 till then, but we'll have to share notes for sure.

I'm using my P5 in a somewhat unusual way. I'm using it in front of a bi-amp setup. The P5 has RCA outputs and Balanced outputs. I have Von Schweikert tower speakers which have a bass module and a mid/tweeter module on each side. I run one set of outputs into a 250 wpc solidstate amp driving my bass modules. The other outputs go into a Parasound equalizer which I use to roll off bass frequencies and to tweak the volume a bit to match the volume level across the 200Hz crossover point. Then that runs into a 20 wpc triode tube amp, which drives the mid/tweeter modules.

My Von Schweikerts can't be used with external active crossovers, as their internal crossovers can't be bypassed without totally ruining the sound. Their crossovers have been customized to level resistance and output across frequencies.

I run a CD player into it, a Parasound D/AC-2000HD, my PC, and I run a Sonos Connect's Toslink into the P5's DAC.

It does a very nice job. Transparent sound. Love finally having a remote volume and input control. First time I've had that functionality. Streaming 320K Rhapsody through the Sonos sounds better than I expected it to.

Sometimes I do switch in a tube preamp, if I'm in the mood for a bit of tube goodness. The P5 does sound cleaner and more defined.

Back
Top Bottom